Its a fish people. Trout are not endangered in anyways. People act like every trout is the last of its species. How many of you double time as hunters I wonder? I never asked any duck or goose I shot if it hurt when I shot them. Also I find it funny how bass and trout people are all into catch and release and being so respectfull to the fish. Put these same people in the chesapeake catch a striper, striper goes into cooler. Stick them in a crappie hole every crappie goes into the livewell/ bucket. Heck you ever seen the tv bass guys keep a bass?? Hell no! Get them in there saltwater spin off shows there killing everything that swims. Sometimes people make no sense to me? All im saying. Im sure the trout laid on rocks are just fine.
I find this post to be in rather, well, poor form.
Please inform us of how you view all people so we can get a better understanding of how you employ all your stereotypes. I'm a bass guy and I catch stripers out of the Chesapeake and I have never harvested one. I also have caught a few crappies in my time but I have never harvested a single one. Not that I have a problem with harvest at all. I think restricted to a sustainable level it is completely fine to harvest a fish.
That said, I think if you intend to release a fish you owe it to the fish to at least attempt to give it respect as it is a living animal. It has been well documented that dry hands and rocks do the fish a grave disservice before being released. If you are aware of this and intend to release the fish, then I think you owe the fish and everyone else the respect enough not to employ such a practice. By saying, its a fish or there not endangered anyways, then there is no limit to how you feel you can disrespect a living being. Will it be be fine to spend 3 minutes, in the heat of summer, after being on dry rocks just to get some good pictures and then release the fish? That fish will likely die and I would hope if a WCO saw such a practice he would make you included it to your creel count at the very least. As stated in another post, will it be fine to release the fish by "punting"? Are you ok with puppy mills with deplorable conditions? They are just dogs after all.
I'm sorry but I disagree. There ARE proper catch and release techniques and they should be employed to the best of a persons ability when a fish is not intended to be harvested.
I also do not think people should be chastised by crass postings from their peers just because they employed a bad technique. They should however be reminded to educated for future fishing outings.
But hey who knows? Experts could be wrong.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52261_63242-261884--,00.html
http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/fish/snook/reduce-catch-release-mortality/
http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/publications/fishery_management/recreational_fishing/rec_fish_wcr/catchrelease.pdf
keeping doing research and you will find that virtually every state, just about every fish agency has a link for proper catch and release techniques. Not a single one says its good to lay them on the ground.
Just my .02 cents and at my age with inflation it might be worth .04.
🙂