LL Bean Flyweights are only $100 and they treat me excellent. Plus, if you feel that you didn't get your money's worth or the product you should have Bean's guarantee is pretty much amazing. No questions asked they would give you a brand new pair of waders....don't abuse this policy obviously
Agreed on the policy & service, not on the wader quality.
Bought a pair of their Emerger line waders, leaked within a few months. Swapped them out, no questions asked, and the second pair leaked on the first outing I had them out. Swapped them out again, and the third pair lasted the last month or so of fishing season, then decided to leak in the middle of a very cold day of duck hunting that fall.
Again used the satisfaction guarantee, but this time instead used the credit and added to it to get a pair of Neos they carried but that were made by LaCrosse for duck hunting. These have been rock solid ever since, so I'm not inclined to get LL Bean breathable waders ever again...but each time I brought them back, the service *was* excellent, I must admit. But 3 pair of waders over the course of a summer is ridiculous, and obviously not an isolated incident.
Other than that runaround, I've had 3 pairs of the entry-level Orvis waders. The first ones went about 3 years before the pinholes became too much and I sent them back for repairs (I think a $30 fee). Unfortunately (?) they got lost in the mail on their way back to me, so Orvis replaced them with a brand new pair of their entry level. These lasted about 3 years, at which point I decided to try the LL Beans.
After that fiasco, I took them back in to see if Orvis would repair these ones and again sent them with the $30 fee. This time, apparently it was more trouble than it was worth to repair, and again Orvis simply sent me new ones.
This experience seems like the exception to the general rule, but I've been pleased as punch with the regular, basic Orvis waders, and wouldn't hesitate to go with them again if/when it's time to get new ones.
For what it's worth, I'd estimate they see about 50-75 outings per year, since I wet wade when I can in the dead heat of summer.