Susquehanna river

laurelhighlander

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2024
Messages
132
City
Laurel highlands
Wanted to make a trip to the susq during the fall feed. I'm assuming once water temp drops into 50s they will feed heavy. I've only fished it twice, so if anyone has an insight I would greatly appreciate it.
 
This is generally true, but fall bass can be tough to pattern (this entire bass season has been tough, in my experience).

For the next two or three weeks, don't ignore shallow areas. Bass are on the move and aggressive, but may not be in the same run or eddy where they were a day or two previously. In addition to bass being aggressive, the big rivers also tend to see a steep decline in angling pressure in the fall and I tend to think this helps with my own fishing prospects. Most of my fall fishing is with large streamer flies, but don't rule out poppers. Finally, fallen leaves and decaying river grass can make fishing difficult, especially on windy days later this month and early Nov. - have some weedless streamer flies. By late Nov. I tend to fish low and slow in deeper, slower water. Good luck.

(This thread will be moved to the WW forum)
 
Oops. Forgot to attach the pic.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2959.jpeg
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7054.jpeg
    IMG_7054.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 45
Sounds promising, low winds on Saturday will be perfect for streamer fishing from my kayak. I've been debating on whether to drive 2 hours to susq or go somewhere for browns. Still trying to decide but these responses have me leaning toward smallies. Heard good things about Sunbury area so was planning on trying it out
 
Sounds promising, low winds on Saturday will be perfect for streamer fishing from my kayak. I've been debating on whether to drive 2 hours to susq or go somewhere for browns. Still trying to decide but these responses have me leaning toward smallies. Heard good things about Sunbury area so was planning on trying it out
Why would you do that when you have always that great fishing just 5 to 10 minutes from you? 🤣
 
Why would you do that when you have always that great fishing just 5 to 10 minutes from you? 🤣
Just cuz I said I have brook trout streams near me? Never said they were great or even good. Glad you are crying laughing at your dumbass comment that doesn't make sense. Still offended that I talked crap on your precious stockers?
 
Weren't you one the guys crying about a post getting derailed?
no, that wasn't me.

If I were looking to hit the Susky, I might look at the west branch. Just get off in Indiana onto 286 heading NE you should hit the West Branch around McGees mills. Just beautiful from there on. Road follows most the river the rest of the way. Prettier drive than the turnpike.
 
no, that wasn't me.

If I were looking to hit the Susky, I might look at the west branch. Just get off in Indiana onto 286 heading NE you should hit the West Branch around McGees mills. Just beautiful from there on. Road follows most the river the rest of the way. Prettier drive than the turnpike.
Yea you would look at the west branch, I lost interest in stocked trout at 12 years old. Sounds great for u though
 
Yea you would look at the west branch, I lost interest in stocked trout at 12 years old. Sounds great for u though
There are plenty of smallies in the west branch.

I'll add that just because I defended others right to be able o fish for stocked trout, doesn't make it my personal preference. Not everyone thinks only about themselves. I will also refrain from trying to recommend places to fish moving forward. You're a bitter little person.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top