Here is my photogenic contribution from Wednesday. An interesting sidebar on the mouse steelhead:
I was fishing at the head of the Manchester Hole and a group of about six guys was spread out below me. The guy directly below me kept nailing me with his backcast and he kept saying "Sorry!". After the third time, I told him to watch his backcast, as that was the third time he hooked me. Shortly thereafter, I teased the steelhead into striking the mouse. As soon as I hooked it, one of the guy's buddies offered me a net, but I declined it. I eventually landed the fish and the guy's buddy came running up. He wanted to know if it was a trout. I said yes. He wanted to know if it was a brown trout. I said no. I told him it was a steelhead, basically a big lake-run rainbow. He wanted to know what I caught it on and I said a mouse. A mouse he said??? Yep. Then, he asked if I was going to keep it. I said no. I was going to release it. He pleaded with me to give him the fish, stating he was new to this and he hadn't caught any fish yet. He showed me his setup (egg sac) and wanted to know if it was ok to catch fish, which I assured him it was, if properly fished. He pleaded with me again to give him the fish but I told him I was going to release it, so he could catch it. It left me wondering if it is really that much of a perceived status thing to be hauling around a fish on the tribs.
To speak to the flossing/snagging/lining discussion earlier in this thread, earlier in the day, the first fish I saw caught after I got there was foul hooked in the back. The guy that hooked it played it like it was a fair hook and then proceeded to rope it, and trot around lower Walnut. I bit my tongue. Towards the end of the day, I saw at least two people chucking lead and it's somewhat of a dead giveaway that when you are fishing in pretty low clear conditions, you don't need more than a small shot. Anything bigger than that is designed to ensnare fish. Especially when you cast and lift up and cast again within two seconds. I was happy that neither snagger was able to snag a fish but wasn't exactly sure how they could possibly not, given the fish density. I guess 20% of the snaggers snag 80% of the fish..
I definitely believe steelhead do more than react to an offering. Several actively chased my leech and Crazy Charlie. One gunned down my mouse. It is of course entirely possibly to floss and line them too but to say that all steelhead are caught by snaggers is not my experience. It does remind me of a discussion I followed on Fisherie years ago, in which fly-fisherman were accused of lifting the fish, by floating the fly into the steelhead's mouth. Some contingent took up the cry of "Die, lifter, die!", which to this day is what my brothers and I hurl at each other, every time we hook a fish.
Direct link for those who are spared the scourge of Flash:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108467945958594625406/103013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLHivO_9uJ__3gE&feat=directlink