PA Stream Access and PFBC Budget Woes

Sounds like if they didn't stock those waters, it would eliminate the need for access.

IMO, a warm water stream with access is more valuable than a trout stream without public access.

Public access is THE issue facing the future of river and stream fishing in most states, even some with currently strong navigable waters law. PA's navigable waters law is not practical to enforce except in high profile siruations. We need every easement and legally binding guarantee of access we can get.

I have several decent smallmouth streams within an easy drive. They are all also stocked trout waters. If stocking stopped tomorrow they would still be worthwhile fisheries. I'd hate to find out that they became posted because PAFBC turned off the flow of rubber trout.
 
Finsylvania dude is not my cup of tea. I can't stand his approach to subjects. Pass on anything from him.
 
TC


Are the stocked pheasants causing the same issues as stocked trout? That would be your answer.
Well, I am not sure, but I will say the total number of harvested pheasants per numbed stocked is extremely low. Also, a single pheasant costs the game commission just over $20 per bird, so they are a huge financial obligation on the PFGC budget. But I love hunting them.
 
Well, I am not sure, but I will say the total number of harvested pheasants per numbed stocked is extremely low. Also, a single pheasant costs the game commission just over $20 per bird, so they are a huge financial obligation on the PFGC budget. But I love hunting them.
According to an online search, the Game Commission says the harvest rate is about 45%.
 
Funny you mention that, if we go to our way back machine to *checks notes* 10 years ago, PGC cut its bird stocking programs during budget crisis to make the books balance.

They saw that problem too and addressed it.

Thats what programs do when they see that operations costs are not sustainable at the level they are at.

Since then, they got oil and gas leases and a huge pool of money to keep themselves afloat in the medium term so they brought the level of birds back up to what it was.

They will have to find a new revenue stream in 8-10 years when the oil/gas lease pool is dried up or they will likely have to make those decisions again.

Instead of following that path to fiscal responsibility, PFBC are going full steam ahead.
 
Im on the other end of the spectrum. I appreciate his passion and tenacity on this subject and others. I also appreciate the amount of research and time he and his guests put into things they discuss. I also appreciate that he gets it not just in front of fisherman's eyes but also the common taxpayer.

He isnt wrong on the subject and regardless of how I view him as a person, I can separate the message from the man.
 
Back
Top