Kelly Galloup on Euronymphing

Competition should not be in the same sentence with fly fishing ever.
Or any fishing for that matter. Fishing should be a relaxing pastime whether in solitude, with friends, or family. I respect all types and styles of fishing. You do you. But competition in fishing has the same results as sports betting. Humans can be evil.

oh guys look, the gear fisherman of fly fishing has something to say 😂. Bud, you might as well be throwing a rapala if you think those articulated monstrosities are “fly fishing”.

But they work, and so does euronymphing. Better than literally any other kind of nymphing.

Who cares, fishing is fishing. As long as you're having fun.

oh guys look, the gear fisherman of fly fishing has something to say 😂. Bud, you might as well be throwing a rapala if you think those articulated monstrosities are “fly fishing”.

But they work, and so does euronymphing. Better than literally any other kind of nymphing.
So true! When your inspirations for streamers came from Bill Dance and Roland Martin and adult bookstores, you're in a glass house :p

Working on a fur whopper plopper next? Wait, I might try one of those of the Susquehanna....

Last edited:
So true! When your inspirations for streamers came from Bill Dance and Roland Martin and adult bookstores, you're in a glass house :p

Working on a fur whopper plopper next? Wait, I might try one of those of the Susquehanna....
Kelly sure gets you worked up......

I like Bill Dance. I grew up with Bill Dance. Those bloopers of Bill hitting his knees off the boat hitch, falling in the water, losing his famous Tennessee hat...what a guy. The way he hoisted LMB all day long in his boat on his baitcasting rigs with 25 lb test mono.

Those were my fishing roots, my original fishing obsession. Buying the newest crankbaits, learning new ways to rig soft plastics, etc.

Man, I know this is unrelated to this thread, but I don't much care about what anyone's opinion is on fly fishing, but what I wouldn't give to be 13 again and watching Bill Dance and trying to be the best dang bass fisherman I could be. Those were the days...

Yeah, this. Right here. BINGO! Fish the way you wanna fish. Forget about the haters. Just don't litter, keep fish out of season, disrespect the resource, etc, etc, etc

We all like fishing. I like all forms of fishing. Fishing is cool. Fishing is groovy. Fishing is good for the body and the mind.

I like Bill Dance. I grew up with Bill Dance. Those bloopers of Bill hitting his knees off the boat hitch, falling in the water, losing his famous Tennessee hat...what a guy. The way he hoisted LMB all day long in his boat on his baitcasting rigs with 25 lb test mono.

Those were my fishing roots, my original fishing obsession. Buying the newest crankbaits, learning new ways to rig soft plastics, etc.

Man, I know this is unrelated to this thread, but I don't much care about what anyone's opinion is on fly fishing, but what I wouldn't give to be 13 again and watching Bill Dance and trying to be the best dang bass fisherman I could be. Those were the days...
I am right there with you. I couldn't wait for Sunday mornings to watch Bill Dance and the Linder brothers on InFisherman. There wasn't a pond within a 10 mile radius me and my friends didn't flip bass jigs and plastic rigs in.

I don't care what method anyone chooses to fish with. You cant look at any fishing media without having it shoved in your face, so yeah people are going to talk about it.

I think I was 12 when I realized Bill was always on the same (private) lake! I always liked Jimmy Houston myself.

I think I was 12 when I realized Bill was always on the same (private) lake! I always liked Jimmy Houston myself.
Hey man, we fly fisherman have many elite clubs. Heck, we have Homewaters here locally, so Bill is allowed his own private lake properly managed to push out 10 lb LMB with the ease and consistency of a grocery store gumball machine.

As a side note, I liked em all. Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, Hank Parker, etc. But the Lindner family and In-Fisherman were probably the best. They offered more tips and strategies for a wide variety of fish and situations, not just bass.

Their shows would inspire me to dream that I was in Wisconsin with an abundance of walleye, pike, and muskie opportunities and inspiring me to be learning techniques that were out of reach for a young kid with a bobber, a can of worms, and a bicycle. I'd watch those shows and dream, and then I'd take my primitive tackle box to the nearest farm pond and either catch bluegill or live bait or catch bass on lures.

Those really are great memories.

As a side note, I liked em all. Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, Hank Parker, etc. But the Lindner family and In-Fisherman were probably the best. They offered more tips and strategies for a wide variety of fish and situations, not just bass.

Their shows would inspire me to dream that I was in Wisconsin with an abundance of walleye, pike, and muskie opportunities and inspiring me to be learning techniques that were out of reach for a young kid with a bobber, a can of worms, and a bicycle. I'd watch those shows and dream, and then I'd take my primitive tackle box to the nearest farm pond and either catch bluegill or live bait or catch bass on lures.

Those really are great memories.
The "Fishing Hole" with Jerry McKinnis was one of the best. I still have VHS tapes of his shows. He had the best guests.

Dear jifigz,

I was a Jerry McKinnis fan myself. I watched all the major shows though. I have to admit that having watched the Lindner brothers made it easy to understand my sister-in-law and her family when I met them. She is from Grand Rapids MN and they have a pretty heavy accent up there with lots of different expressions and sayings.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear jifigz,

I was a Jerry McKinnis fan myself. I watched all the major shows though. I have to admit that having watched the Lindner brothers made it easy to understand my sister-in-law and her family when I met them. She is from Grand Rapids MN and they have a pretty heavy accent up there with lots of different expressions and sayings.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Those midwesterners are a different breed, especially those far-north types. Tough, hardy people who like sausages, beer, and speak with funny accents. I have spent some time in way North Minnesota and Wisconsin. I like it out there. I like the people and the culture. I like the landscape. I could live there.

I don't recall Jerry McKinnis. I did, however, buy the Banjo Minnow from the infomercial......Or I should say, suckered my parents into buying it for me....

Best name goes to Rayo Breckenridge....

Back