Just too easy

jifigz

jifigz

I finally am getting some bass fishing in this year. Beautiful evening on the Juniata at my family's place. Quite a few boats out for a Monday but the fishing was great.. Caught about 20 in an hour and a half. Feels good to always get back to my roots.
PXL 20220627 235522944
PXL 20220627 233701508

Attachments

• PXL_20220628_001618684.jpg
    PXL_20220628_001618684.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20220627_234654052.jpg
    PXL_20220627_234654052.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 98
Nice. Was in Millerstown for a reunion on Sunday and it was muddy. Someone said Raystown was dumping water. I didn’t fish.

Nice. I mentioned in the Raystown spillway thread that I spent a lot of time on my grandparent's farm (now my uncle's farm) on the branch when I was a child/teenager and fishing for those smallies and rock bass were really what started my lifelong love for fish and fishing. I'm heading to Colorado for 5 days of trout fishing at the end of July, but I really would like to get down there to fish the branch for a few hours before then.

Nice. Was in Millerstown for a reunion on Sunday and it was muddy. Someone said Raystown was dumping water. I didn’t fish.

Even when/if Raystown dumps water for whatever reason, it's typically fairly clear and doesn't cause that I don't think. Typically, when it gets dirty, I think it's more frequently from the Frankstown Branch, but I could definitely be wrong. I've just seen crystal clear water from the Raystown meeting chocolate milk from the Juniata at the point so many times.

It had rained a lot in Juniata County and the tribs entering down there had the river very muddy. I know this because I was in Port Royal and it was like chocolate milk and at my parent's place in Mifflin County it was clear as could be. I am about 40 miles downriver of the Raystown dam and I agree, the dam letting out water usually doesn't make the Juniata muddy. The fishing last night was impressive though. I fished one fly and didn't have to change at all.

It had rained a lot in Juniata County and the tribs entering down there had the river very muddy. I know this because I was in Port Royal and it was like chocolate milk and at my parent's place in Mifflin County it was clear as could be. I am about 40 miles downriver of the Raystown dam and I agree, the dam letting out water usually doesn't make the Juniata muddy. The fishing last night was impressive though. I fished one fly and didn't have to change at all.

I saw the fly in the photos. I don't have anything like that, but is it fairly heavily weighted? Did you dead drift it or strip it or both?

Just curious and not asking for your favorite spot, where were you fishing The Juniata?

Looks like you had some pretty clean water down there jifigz. On Sat at Huntington it was mud. Fished Corbin's Island to the Point. Could have used a little more water out of the dam. Water very clear and a bunch of small smallmouths landed and one decent size rainbow to the net.

I was fishing in Granville. And the fly wasn't weighted much but I had a shot above it. Mostly dead drift with twitches and mends to keep somewhat of contact. I watch the tip of my fly line and it's easy to detect strikes.

I have a lot of experience on the Juniata and bass fishing in general. For a long time it was my life. I know exactly where to find fish in many stretches of the river year round. I'm not saying that's why I caught a lot yesterday, but it helps. There are really only a few flies and presentations needed. Last night was one of my favorite ways to target fish if fishing subsurface and it's very effective. Also, the fly was a simple closer crayfish..

I was fishing in Granville. And the fly wasn't weighted much but I had a shot above it. Mostly dead drift with twitches and mends to keep somewhat of contact. I watch the tip of my fly line and it's easy to detect strikes.

I have a lot of experience on the Juniata and bass fishing in general. For a long time it was my life. I know exactly where to find fish in many stretches of the river year round. I'm not saying that's why I caught a lot yesterday, but it helps. There are really only a few flies and presentations needed. Last night was one of my favorite ways to target fish if fishing subsurface and it's very effective. Also, the fly was a simple closer crayfish..
FYI for those unfamiliar, closer was supposed to be Clouser. And a very juicy looking example at that.

Nice. I mentioned in the Raystown spillway thread that I spent a lot of time on my grandparent's farm (now my uncle's farm) on the branch when I was a child/teenager and fishing for those smallies and rock bass were really what started my lifelong love for fish and fishing. I'm heading to Colorado for 5 days of trout fishing at the end of July, but I really would like to get down there to fish the branch for a few hours before then.

My mother's, but yes. You apparently know the family?
I’m related to them - through the Heck lineage - my grandmother was Nellie Heck - Max’s sister - meaning we’re related. I spent many days on the branch - watching bass from Corbin’s bridge, fishing the “rock pile” just upstream along the far bank of the Riverside house -before they moved it when the right of way was taken by the Corps of Engineers. Shot my first rabbit in the field above the house and remember Aunt Max hunting squirrels with her little .410 double barrel - I haven’t been up to the old farm or Bowman’s Chapel in many years - I hear Bud is still doing alright though. I love Huntington county! I should make a trip up there soon.

I’m related to them - through the Heck lineage - my grandmother was Nellie Heck - Max’s sister - meaning we’re related. I spent many days on the branch - watching bass from Corbin’s bridge, fishing the “rock pile” just upstream along the far bank of the Riverside house -before they moved it when the right of way was taken by the Corps of Engineers. Shot my first rabbit in the field above the house and remember Aunt Max hunting squirrels with her little .410 double barrel - I haven’t been up to the old farm or Bowman’s Chapel in many years - I hear Bud is still doing alright though. I love Huntington county! I should make a trip up there soon.

I wondered if that was you, JG, right? Yeah, we've talked before at different times, I'm BR. Bud's doing surprisingly well, but he had a tractor roll over on him and he was trapped under it for some time about a year or so ago. He did a long stint in the hospital and a long-term care facility and he didn't get "right" until they sent him home. He was torn up pretty badly and non-weight bearing for the longest time. Barb couldn't help him (she's also remarkably healthy and sharp, but she has some back issues and she's not a spring chicken) so he had to be in the facility. I'm retired now and offered to go down to help him get up, get down and whatever else needed done, but you know Bud, he's a very proud man and they never took me up on the offer. I think he's given up on some of the farming, wood cutting, etc. but he did it all until very recently and I think he'll turn 90 in December. Good man, good bloodlines.

I wondered if that was you, JG, right? Yeah, we've talked before at different times, I'm BR. Bud's doing surprisingly well, but he had a tractor roll over on him and he was trapped under it for some time about a year or so ago. He did a long stint in the hospital and a long-term care facility and he didn't get "right" until they sent him home. He was torn up pretty badly and non-weight bearing for the longest time. Barb couldn't help him (she's also remarkably healthy and sharp, but she has some back issues and she's not a spring chicken) so he had to be in the facility. I'm retired now and offered to go down to help him get up, get down and whatever else needed done, but you know Bud, he's a very proud man and they never took me up on the offer. I think he's given up on some of the farming, wood cutting, etc. but he did it all until very recently and I think he'll turn 90 in December. Good man, good bloodlines.
Yes I’m JG - Glad to hear Bud is still kicking - and congrats on your retirement! It’s a great feeling - I’m finding that I want to remove myself from
public life altogether and enjoy whatever time is left without electronic distractions. Someday, we should meet at the farm and fish that stretch

Yes I’m JG - Glad to hear Bud is still kicking - and congrats on your retirement! It’s a great feeling - I’m finding that I want to remove myself from
public life altogether and enjoy whatever time is left without electronic distractions. Someday, we should meet at the farm and fish that stretch.

I'm tied up for the next week or so around here with farm work, but I'm planning on heading down to see Bud and Barb at some point after that. Long drive home and I have some other family to see, so I probably wanted fish for more than an hour or two, but I'd be up for it.

Since we've already completely hijacked the original thread, I'll make it worse by tossing out an old photo, just for memory's sake. This was a couple of my older brothers in the foreground, that's Uncle Bud (I refer to him as UB) on the tractor and that's Mammy/Max Baker in the back gathering crayfish or hellgramites. I loved my childhood.

Some of the older guys on the forum who have fished that water will recognize this place, anyone younger than me (I'm 57), probably doesn't know that it ever existed (it was mostly busted up by the flood).

Attachments

• Raystown Branch.jpg
    Raystown Branch.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 50
And for those who are aghast at the tractor in the river, they used to put a LOT of sand down there at the wharf so the kids could play without cutting their feet. I'm sure he's in there grading it off.

Back