How much does tippet size matter

Crap how? Are you saying that the lb test rating is wrong? Or the diameter is not as advertised?
Not being argumenitive, just curious. I put Walmart Stren on my spinning gear without issue but it doesn't get heavy enough use for me to have a clear opinion on it.

With spinning gear, absolute diameter is not nearly as much of a concern as it is for fly anglers. Granted, I think we make a bigger deal of it than it needs to be, but for purchasing line to be used as tippet, we care that it is a specific diameter and we generally want the highest strength possible. If you look at a lot of cheaper lines marketed for conventional gear, you'll see 4lb line that is .008" diameter. That is 3x diameter and only rated for 4lbs. This is pretty typical of cheaper monos. 3x equivalent should be 6lb test or better IMO. I find that abrasion resistance, knot strength, and knot tying characteristics to be sub par also.
 
Crap how? Are you saying that the lb test rating is wrong? Or the diameter is not as advertised?
Not being argumenitive, just curious. I put Walmart Stren on my spinning gear without issue but it doesn't get heavy enough use for me to have a clear opinion on it.
Dear dudemanspecial,

For general use on spinning or conventional gear I find Ande Premium and Backcountry lines to be perfect for me. I started using them in saltwater 50 years ago. The line is supple, holds knots well, and is abrasion resistant.

Oh one other thing. Ande is cheap!

Regards, Tim Murphy 😀
 
My newer freshwater spinning & casting reels are all low capacity because how line much do you really need to fish in a creek for trout or lake for bass or pickerel, plus lower capacity equals a bigger diameter spools so less memory coils or twists (if you fill them correctly) which increases casting distance.

On those reels, I use Sunline or Varivas mono and I like Seaguar fluorocarbon on the casting reel I use most for largemouth bass. I like to keep them full to maximize casting distance. With the low capacity spools that's not an expensive option even with premium Japanese brands.

I also have a couple of vintage spinning reels I use for trout with MUCH larger capacity spools. On those reels I use cheaper mono as "backing" and will spool 50 or so yards of the good stuff on top.

Again the result is a bigger spool diameter, less memory coils and less good line wasted filling deep spools with fishing line you will never use.
 
Fly size plays a factor along with water conditions. If I am using dries or nymphs on a gin clear clear, I am pretty much always using 5X or 6X. Streamers is 4X min, though I have been using 2X and 3X more often for streamers now.
 
Back
Top