Favorite fly

Dry: Comparadun various colors/sizes that match what's coming off
Terrestrial: Quick sight beetle
Nymph: Brassie
Streamer: Olive bugger with some flash
 
I'll vary size, parachute (or no), or hackle setup but it's usually it's an Adams - especially when I have no idea what bugs are coming off. #2 will usually be a BWO of some size or sort unless I'm on Pine or Little Pine in the spring, when I'll use a Slate Drake first. If I see anything yellow flying, I'll use a Light Cahill - the best feature for that one is I can actually see it in almost all conditions.
I can't recall the last time I used a wet fly or annelid (as my boys like call worm imitations). Nothing under water is what I would call a favorite - necessity maybe.
 
Dry Fly: Baltz para nymph
Nymph: Guides choice hares ear.
Baltz ties the Para nymph with the parachute hackle concave up so the fly sits lower in the water as opposed to a traditional parachute tied concave down. He likes hares ear for the body and ties it with a Anthon shuck. Another tier uses chocolate brown dubbing on his parachute floating nymph
 
Mine has always been a split tail adams with a hen hackle and cut to ride flush in the film - size 16.
 
Split Wing CDC dries with varying threads for the body.
Micro Quill Body Perdigons with tinsel thoraxes
Klinks
Any Spider pattern.
 
Favorite to me implies the one I tie on the most often when not hatch matching.

For me that is either a Flashback Bead Head Gold Ribbed Hares Ear or a Bead Head Prince Nymph.

On the surface it's a tan Elk Wing Caddis. or a foam beetle.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CRB
Its a toss up for me depending on the species but the strikes that you get on a slumpbuster are hard to beat. Warmwater its the gurgler for the same reason. Love the strikes! Can't get that with a PT
 
My favorite fly is the Maurice, designed by Matt Boyer.
Originally brown, I tye it in all colors,wet , and I also do a dry version.

If forced to choose a nymph, it would probably be a prince, because you can fish it like a wet.
 
My favorite fly is the Maurice, designed by Matt Boyer.
Originally brown, I tye it in all colors,wet , and I also do a dry version.

If forced to choose a nymph, it would probably be a prince, because you can fish it like a wet.
I know that Matt is famous for his streamers - is this also a streamer pattern?

Kim
 
My favorite is the Elk Hair Caddis. Caught more fish in more places with it than any other fly. I do have a soft spot in my heart for the Sulphur. It is the first fly I was able to "match the hatch" with lo those many years ago - on Fishing Creek near Benton.
 
Toss up between the clouser minnow and beadhead pheasant tail nymph. I probably end up fishing one or the other almost every time I’m out and have more success with them than any other flies.
 
BH Sexy Walts Worm. I can tie em in seconds, and they just catch fish. So I don't care how many i bust off in the bushes or on bottom.
 
The last three years mine has been a Euro fly, a Red Dart. I've caught some big trout on it, trout on a wild trout stream and even caught a 30" steelhead on it. I use it both Euro nymphing and regular nymphing with a strike indicator.
 
I know that Matt is famous for his streamers - is this also a streamer pattern?

Kim
Yes, def works as a streamer and a weamer in large sizes.
I do tye it in a size 6 as a streamer
 
Back
Top