Wissahickon DO NOT EAT Advisory - stocking cancelled

A couple of comments...

This particular fish consumption advisory covers ALL fish...

Managing the Wissahickon as strictly a warmwater fishery assumes that only trout are harvested and eaten by anglers. I still remember fishing the Wissahickon as kid and watching folks harvesting EVERYTHING they caught and I've seen more the few folks in other watersheds in SEPA collecting freshwater clams, snails and other critters and NOT for pets.

I don't know the answer to this question but I would THINK fish suitability at the Wissahickon isn't a whole lot different than Section 03 or Ridley Creek, or Section 05 of French Creek that are both catch & release....

Why not make just make the Wissahickon like Valley Creek, C&R for EVERYTHING including trout and keep stocking? As far a liability goes, why isn't it a problem at Valley Creek? People COULD catch eels and eat them?

I get that in the case of the Wissahickon if the state furnished the trout it is a little different, but no harvest is no harvest. If that's the rule at the aforementioned C&R streams, what's the difference?

Finally, I get the cancelling of the Fall stocking, but going forward...

There is a consumption advisory for ALL fish caught in Pennsylvania waters INCLUDING hatchery trout because of PCB's. Are PFOS's so much worse than PCB's that there is real need to PERMANENTLY end stocking on the Wissahickon?
 
Why not make just make the Wissahickon like Valley Creek, C&R for EVERYTHING including trout and keep stocking?
I hope that is one viable solution 👍

I've fished the crick for 50 years and still live 400 yards from the water. I fished it with my old man (RIP), some good friends, and my son, so a lot of good memories of a beautiful place. For those who've never seen it and think "crick in a city," it's not that at all. In fact the stretch in the City limits is in old growth forest and more wild than the suburban stretches. It's "loved," don't get me wrong, but it's also loved.

I don't fish it more than a couple times a year now, and most recently only with the Mayfly Project and young kids in the foster care system. But it would be a loss if not managed in some way as a fishery.
 
Back
Top