Where Can I Fly Fish?

14991181567 9e46a8a2af o
Where Can I Fly Fish? This is one of the more popular questions asked on Paflyfish. Truthfully the answer is bigger than the question and one worth exploring. There are hundreds of fantastic streams for all types of anglers in the region. A little homework will yield you your own personal hot spots.

The spectrum of opportunities is pretty remarkable. Generally, you can find streams across the state stocked with millions of trout every year by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC). There are hundreds of miles of fragile backwoods waterways with native wild brook trout. There are magnificent-looking streams teaming with natural reproducing brown trout. To add to the opportunity, the region is blessed with a mix of freestone and limestone streams with a wide variety of aquatic life that trout thrive on. Every part of the state has its own unique waterways.

To help, Paflyfish is chocked full of maps, tips, news, stories, and conversations already at your fingertips. Pennsylvania is a sizable state so starting with the Pennsylvania Trout Streams section under the site menu is a good place to begin. The map identifies all the special regulation streams that are ideal for fly fishing. Other types of streams are explained and linked to their locations.

The best advice I can offer for the site is to take the time to do a little research in the forums. Stream Reports can usually yield a string of information. There are plenty of guides, trout bums, locals, scientists, and enthusiasts who hang out here. Don't jump onto the site and make your first post, Where do I fish in Potter County? This approach does not build a lot of trust with other members. Take some time to participate and then ask some good specific questions about where to fish. A good spot to start is the Beginner Forum.

A quick trek to the PFBC website can offer an additional collection of streams and detailed regulations.

Spending some time with your local fly shop can be very helpful. Becoming active with your local Trout Unlimited Chapter is a great way to meet up with others and get a lot of local knowledge. They often provide a number of classes, workshops, and conservation opportunities.

With the armchair work complete go explore the region. Some of the best places you’ll find will likely be the ones you didn’t set out for when you got started. There may not be an easy button here, but the journey is part of the catch.

Last edited:
Back