Salmon River, Oswego County, NY, 8/21/26

I’m planning to head up to the Salmon mid-November to see if I can get into some steelies. Going in blind - does anyone have any general recommendations, anything from flies (I am partial to streamer fishing) to fly line? I’ve never done this before. I have an 8wt with intermediate sink tip which is what I’ll be bringing along, but I have two empty spools that I could (and should, at some point) rig up with floating line and full sinking line. And is my best bet sticking to the fly only section in order to avoid shoulder to shoulder fishing? I checked DSR for the dates I’ll be up there, looks like all day passes are sold out unfortunately.
U don't need the dsr to get steelhead that time of year..there in all stretches by then all the way to the hatchery....lots of spots. I personally like the upper end of sportsmen. But there's a lot of diff areas..don't overthink the gear end. 7 8 weight rod is fine. Floating line. 8ft leader. Your choice of fly. Sparkle eggs. Work quite well. As do mop flies. And trust me steelhead in winter on the salmon ain't shoulder to shoulder...this isn't salmon snagging season lol. These guys don't venture out for legit fishing on cold conditions lol. Just go enjoy make some friends and ask questions and talk to other anglers. Seems like we as a society have lost communication skills and rely too much on our phones to make our decisions. Good luck
 
Exactly what rustbelt said. That time of year fish anywhere, no shoulder to shoulder fishing.
Get a map from any of the tackle shops up there. Ball park, 81 hole, Ellis cove, staircase, all good spots.
My son and I are going up for the last week of October. Guys are already catching steelhead now.
Good luck.
 
Yeah... no problem for steelies, find a decent riff or pocket and fish away. Crowds are long gone. 8wts are perfect. Floating line and leader about 6" shorter than rod. Set up keeps ice build up at line leader connection from entering rod when landing fish. I like egg patterns, buggers and occasional nymph. Nothing fancy needed. You can check at tackle shops for up to date info.

Good luck.
 
I’m planning to head up to the Salmon mid-November to see if I can get into some steelies. Going in blind - does anyone have any general recommendations, anything from flies (I am partial to streamer fishing) to fly line? I’ve never done this before. I have an 8wt with intermediate sink tip which is what I’ll be bringing along, but I have two empty spools that I could (and should, at some point) rig up with floating line and full sinking line. And is my best bet sticking to the fly only section in order to avoid shoulder to shoulder fishing? I checked DSR for the dates I’ll be up there, looks like all day passes are sold out unfortunately.
You mention that currently you have only an intermediate line for your 8wt rod. If you stick with just this line, you will limit yourself to fishing streamers. I don't believe there are many situations where you will want to fish a full sinking line, so if you are going to add another line, I would recommend a floating line. Something designed for cold water and indicator rig fishing for efficient mending is preferable, unless you're more into Euro nymphing. If you stick with just the intermediate line and don't add another line, you might be able to fish a mono rig with eggs/nymphs by winding it onto your reel on top of the intermediate line, but check the regs on allowable leader length if you fish the Lower Fly Zone.

I usually fish a very basic indicator rig with various egg patterns, attractors such as San Juan worms, mops, and squirmys, and standard nymph patterns such as Pat's Rubber Legs, bead head Prince Nymphs, Hare's Ear, etc. The longer the fish are in the river, the more likely it is that they begin to focus on natural food sources like stonefly nymphs. In mid-November, there is probably still a supply of eggs washing around, so eggs and flashy patterns could work well. If you want to get fancy, you can fish a 90 degree indicator rig, especially if you are fishing a deeper pool.

I add split shot to my indicator rig, so there is no need for packaged tapered leaders. Once you add an indicator, shot, and perhaps a weighted fly to a leader, any advantage to using a tapered leader is all but lost. A section of Maxima Chameleon or Amnesia attached to a micro swivel with a length of high-quality fluorocarbon 2X-4X tippet, depending on the size of fly, is about all I use. I place the split shot above the micro swivel, and this prevents it from sliding down the leader. Make sure your knots are tied well. I'm not sure why more folks don't use float-style indicators for trout fishing, but I find that these Raven floats in smaller sizes work very well as inline "drift management devices" on the SR. I once fished with Jay Peck (NY fly fishing guide), and he had me using these floats in smaller sizes (less than 4g) as indicators. Jay Peck (Lost Rivers Fishing) also has a YouTube channel with fishing reports and river conditions, rigging tips, fly patterns, etc.

Raven Balsa Floats

Remember, you are limited to fishing just one fly on the NY tribs.

In many places, you'll be standing tight to the bank, so you'll be doing a lot of roll casting. Places such as the Staircase are an exception, depending on how comfortable you are wading away from the bank. I find the SR to be difficult to wade in spots, and it can be downright dangerous in cold, high water. A good wading staff is a useful accessory. If you foresee yourself making this a regular hobby, a two-handed rod using simple Spey-style casts is probably best for swinging streamers. I find that a switch rod really helps with roll casting indicator rigs, too. I use an OPST Skagit head with a floating tip.

I'm sure tightline Euro nymphing would work at least as well if you're skilled at it.

Here is a link to a video by George Daniel in which he explains his leader formula for steelhead. I think he might fish more Erie steelhead where the fish aren't as large, and the water isn't as big as the SR, on average. So, I usually upsize some things slightly compared to what he recommends in the video.


Here is another video with Tom Rosenbauer and Jeff Blood, the point of which is that the rigging and fishing is relatively simple.

Orvis Steelhead Rig

You may find the Lower Fly Zone to be more crowded than other stretches of the river, but most people there are fairly respectful of each other. My guess is that in mid-November you will find fish still in transition zones and not yet concentrated in their wintering pools. So, all of the popular holes mentioned, along with fishy-looking transition water in between these spots, can all hold fish at that time of year.

Have fun!
 
Last edited:
You mention that currently you have only an intermediate line for your 8wt rod. If you stick with just this line, you will limit yourself to fishing streamers. I don't believe there are many situations where you will want to fish a full sinking line, so if you are going to add another line, I would recommend a floating line. Something designed for cold water and indicator rig fishing for efficient mending is preferable, unless you're more into Euro nymphing. If you stick with just the intermediate line and don't add another line, you might be able to fish a mono rig with eggs/nymphs by winding it onto your reel on top of the intermediate line, but check the regs on allowable leader length if you fish the Lower Fly Zone.

I usually fish a very basic indicator rig with various egg patterns, attractors such as San Juan worms, mops, and squirmys, and standard nymph patterns such as Pat's Rubber Legs, bead head Prince Nymphs, Hare's Ear, etc. The longer the fish are in the river, the more likely it is that they begin to focus on natural food sources like stonefly nymphs. In mid-November, there are probably still a supply of eggs washing around, so eggs and flashy patterns could work well. If you want to get fancy, you can fish a 90 degree indicator rig, especially if you are fishing a deeper pool.

I add split shot to my indicator rig, so there is no need for packaged tapered leaders. Once you add an indicator, shot, and perhaps a weighted fly to a leader, any advantage of using a tapered leader is all but lost. A section of Maxima Chameleon or Amnesia attached to a micro swivel with a length of high-quality fluorocarbon 2X-4X tippet, depending on the size of fly, is about all I use. I place the split shot above the micro swivel, and this prevents it from sliding down the leader. Make sure your knots are tied well. I'm not sure why more folks don't use float style indicators for trout fishing, but I find that these Ravel floats in smaller sizes work very well as inline "drift management devices" on the SR. I once fished with Jay Peck (NY fly fishing guide), and he had me using these floats in smaller sizes (less than 4g) as indicators.

Raven Balsa Floats

Remember, you are limited to fishing just one fly on the NY tribs.

In many places, you'll be standing tight to the bank, so you'll be doing a lot of roll casting. Places such as the Staircase are an exception, depending on how comfortable you are wading away from the bank. If you foresee yourself making this a regular hobby, a two-handed rod using simple Spey-style casts is probably best for swinging streamers. I find that a switch rod really helps with roll casting indicator rigs, too. I use an OPST Skagit head with a floating tip.

I'm sure tightline Euro nymphing would work at least as well if you're skilled at it.

Here is a link to a video by George Daniel in which he explains his leader formula for steelhead. I think he might fish more Erie steelhead where the fish aren't as large, and the water isn't as big as the SR, on average. So, I usually upsize some things slightly compared to what he recommends in the video.


Here is another video with Tom Rosenbauer and Jeff Blood, the point of which is that the rigging and fishing is relatively simple.

Orvis Steelhead Rig

You may find the Lower Fly Zone to be more crowded than other stretches of the river, but most people there are fairly respectful of each other. My guess is that in mid-November you will find fish still in transition zones and not yet concentrated in their wintering pools. So, all of the popular holes mentioned, along with fishy-looking transition water in between these spots, can all hold fish at that time of year.

Have fun!
Wow all great info and advice. Thanks a ton!
 
Wow all great info and advice. Thanks a ton!
You're welcome.

Honestly, I prefer to fish a centerpin rod/reel on the SR. I still fish fly and egg patterns that I tie, but I get more effective drifts with the centerpin, although casting and recasting with a fly rod can be more efficient than winding in a ton of line using a centerpin reel all day, especially at close range.

So, in my opinion, fly fishing is more effective for me during fall when fish are holding in transitional water, but I can cast a float farther and more accurately in winter when fish are often holding in bigger, deeper pools. Therefore, I don't feel the need to wade far from the bank to get into position. Also, freezing temps are a pain the the arse, and I find that frozen fly line is harder to deal with than frozen mono. YMMV.

Besides, all the cool fly fishermen are using nothing but mono nowadays anyway, lol.
 
Back
Top