PFBC FALL AND WINTER TROUT STOCKING TO BEGIN OCTOBER 1!

It has been suggested that this site doesn’t support wild brook trout or allow discussions about them. Take a freaking moment to stop at the home page.

My September 22 article, “Spawning Redds and Fall Fly Fishing,” discusses native brook trout, their spawning season, and how anglers can protect them and their redds during the fall. It’s right there at the front door of the site. Been waiting since 9/22 to read a reply in that post, thanking me for supporting wild brook trout. Cricket Cricket

If you can overlook that but head straight to the stocking thread to scold me about not supporting wild brook trout, you’re overlooking what this site actually does. It seems like the fighting is more important than the cause. Which is why we have a problem.

Wild brook trout discussions are welcome. Hijacking threads, personal attacks, and repeatedly ignoring moderation are the problem. Supporting a cause doesn’t give anyone a pass on their behavior.

Anyone is welcome give me a hard time about what I do here, but you better come with some receipts not just gossip.
 
Last edited:
the fall stocking schedule.

One guy said its a waste of money and the thread blew up.

While mildly amusing its also pretty sad.

IIRC, the fish for the fall stockings come from the regular allocation of fish destined for the particular streams or lakes stocked in the fall.

So it isn't MORE fish and more money spent at those places, it is just that the stockings are spread out at locations on the fall stocking list.
 
Here is a link for the fall and winter stocking at the PFBC.



Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 10.16.31 AM.JPG
 
It has been suggested that this site doesn’t support wild brook trout or allow discussions about them. Take a freaking moment to stop at the home page.

My September 22 article, “Spawning Redds and Fall Fly Fishing,” discusses native brook trout, their spawning season, and how anglers can protect them and their redds during the fall. It’s right there at the front door of the site. Been waiting since 9/22 to read a reply in that post, thanking me for supporting wild brook trout. Cricket Cricket

If you can overlook that but head straight to the stocking thread to scold me about not supporting wild brook trout, you’re overlooking what this site actually does. It seems like the fighting is more important than the cause. Which is why we have a problem.

Wild brook trout discussions are welcome. Hijacking threads, personal attacks, and repeatedly ignoring moderation are the problem. Supporting a cause doesn’t give anyone a pass on their behavior.

Anyone is welcome give me a hard time about what I do here, but you better come with some receipts not just gossip.
Dave, you don't have to justify what you do here, or the decisions you make. You make PAFF possible, and that gives you the right to run it YOUR way. If folks don't like it, they have options. PAFF is a great place to spend time, and everything you do is appreciated.
 
Which is better for wild trout:

1) Fishing for wild trout?

2) Fishing for stocked trout?
I actually think this is a genuinely interesting question, and more nuanced than it first appears. My answer is #1, because wild trout anglers are a major voice of advocacy for wild trout and the watersheds they inhabit.

With that said, I myself fish for stocked trout for several of the reasons which Bam mentioned above. And I don’t think the Montana approach of a full cessation of stocking would work here in PA for a few reasons.

I think most of us have more in common than we think. I would rather the PFBC stock some trout in a delayed harvest stream in Delco, than in Freeman Run.
 
@nd1001

Because of your close proximity, make sure to take full advantage of the fall stockings at Ridley Creek Sections 02 (STW) & 03 (FFO).

Even though Section 02 is regular Stocked Trout Waters, there are a ton of really nice spots in Ridley Creek State Park where you might find more solitude than Section 03 because Section 03 is catch & release fly fishing only.

If the potential for crowds in the first week or so are a turn-off, several years back I fished Section 03 (FFO) in February a few times and still was catching fish regularly.

I didn't venture up to Section 02 during those outings, but I have a feeling I would done OK there too. In my experience, I see WAY less conventional fishermen targeting trout in the "off seasons," even at places that are stocked.

And with no disrespect intended because I also fish for trout conventionally, the conventional crowd thins out quicker in fall than after Opening Day.

Good luck if you go!!
 
Dave, you don't have to justify what you do here, or the decisions you make. You make PAFF possible, and that gives you the right to run it YOUR way. If folks don't like it, they have options. PAFF is a great place to spend time, and everything you do is appreciated.
Thank you and I'm very lucky to get a lot help from the mods like Tom, Dave, Matt and Josh.
 
Tim, most people here support wild brook trout and enjoy fishing for them. You know that, and you know the topic isn’t banned.

The problem is the repeated hijacking of threads and fights over other people’s fishing preferences, baiting people into arguments and personal attacks. Supporting wild brook trout doesn’t excuse that behavior. Peoples personal crusades don’t trump the site policies.

We’ve been through this before. The reminder stands, and the same rules apply to everyone.
Sorry Dave, but this explanation doesn't add up for me. Why the heavy-handed response to someone barely mentioning brook trout? It comes off as a complete overreaction--and really weird. This coming from an angler that's more interested in warm- and saltwater fly fishing than the mediocre trout fishing in PA.

I clearly missed whatever drama precipitated your directive not to speak of brook trout. To be fair, I haven't read the rule. I don't feel the need to. Just like I haven't read the one about political posts. But I've heard it from several sources. Whatever the policy says, it won't stop me from speaking truth about any species. If that gets me reprimanded or banned, I'd embrace it. Based on what PAFF has become, it would be a badge of honor, and might motivate me to attend the next Jam to revel in it.

At the time of the controversy, and to this day, several long-time PAFF members have mentioned the "censorship" because the mods didn't moderate before it got out of hand. Ironically, the guys who bailed are wild brown trout fanatics, but were offended by the draconian response.

From my perspective, PAFF lost both its spirit and relevance a long while back. I check in from time to time, hoping it has recaptured some semblance of what it once was. Sadly, it hasn't. The mods seem complicit in derailing threads that may be of consequence to PA anglers. And instead, you discourage discussion of the species that provided the very foundation of fly fishing in PA, while allowing thinly-veiled attempts at insulting anglers (uber alles, gemmies, etc) that support that species and heritage. The regulars often shout down and derail important voices/topics in the field, while ignoring important issues and news reports on the state of fisheries in PA.

I remember when PAFF had enough clout to help shut down the Big Spring hatchery for pollution. We had our differences back then, but could rally around worthy causes. Now it seems like PAFF is more interested in derailing topics, discussing irrelevant minutiae, insulting others who don't share the same opinion, and ignoring important issues. I'll bet you naively thought you could influence the Freeman Run situation. I participated in the survey, even though I knew it was futile. You were way too late to the party, and PAFF no longer has the clout it once did. I'm happy to discuss offline if you ever want to improve your standing in the outdoor community. It's your show, but WTF?
 
Sorry Dave, but this explanation doesn't add up for me. Why the heavy-handed response to someone barely mentioning brook trout? It comes off as a complete overreaction--and really weird. This coming from an angler that's more interested in warm- and saltwater fly fishing than the mediocre trout fishing in PA.

I clearly missed whatever drama precipitated your directive not to speak of brook trout. To be fair, I haven't read the rule. I don't feel the need to. Just like I haven't read the one about political posts. But I've heard it from several sources. Whatever the policy says, it won't stop me from speaking truth about any species. If that gets me reprimanded or banned, I'd embrace it. Based on what PAFF has become, it would be a badge of honor, and might motivate me to attend the next Jam to revel in it.

At the time of the controversy, and to this day, several long-time PAFF members have mentioned the "censorship" because the mods didn't moderate before it got out of hand. Ironically, the guys who bailed are wild brown trout fanatics, but were offended by the draconian response.

From my perspective, PAFF lost both its spirit and relevance a long while back. I check in from time to time, hoping it has recaptured some semblance of what it once was. Sadly, it hasn't. The mods seem complicit in derailing threads that may be of consequence to PA anglers. And instead, you discourage discussion of the species that provided the very foundation of fly fishing in PA, while allowing thinly-veiled attempts at insulting anglers (uber alles, gemmies, etc) that support that species and heritage. The regulars often shout down and derail important voices/topics in the field, while ignoring important issues and news reports on the state of fisheries in PA.

I remember when PAFF had enough clout to help shut down the Big Spring hatchery for pollution. We had our differences back then, but could rally around worthy causes. Now it seems like PAFF is more interested in derailing topics, discussing irrelevant minutiae, insulting others who don't share the same opinion, and ignoring important issues. I'll bet you naively thought you could influence the Freeman Run situation. I participated in the survey, even though I knew it was futile. You were way too late to the party, and PAFF no longer has the clout it once did. I'm happy to discuss offline if you ever want to improve your standing in the outdoor community. It's your show, but WTF?
Tim,

I sorry you feel that way and hope you find peace in your life.

Sincerely all the best,

Dave
 
Sorry Dave, but this explanation doesn't add up for me. Why the heavy-handed response to someone barely mentioning brook trout? It comes off as a complete overreaction--and really weird. This coming from an angler that's more interested in warm- and saltwater fly fishing than the mediocre trout fishing in PA.

I clearly missed whatever drama precipitated your directive not to speak of brook trout. To be fair, I haven't read the rule. I don't feel the need to. Just like I haven't read the one about political posts. But I've heard it from several sources. Whatever the policy says, it won't stop me from speaking truth about any species. If that gets me reprimanded or banned, I'd embrace it. Based on what PAFF has become, it would be a badge of honor, and might motivate me to attend the next Jam to revel in it.

At the time of the controversy, and to this day, several long-time PAFF members have mentioned the "censorship" because the mods didn't moderate before it got out of hand. Ironically, the guys who bailed are wild brown trout fanatics, but were offended by the draconian response.

From my perspective, PAFF lost both its spirit and relevance a long while back. I check in from time to time, hoping it has recaptured some semblance of what it once was. Sadly, it hasn't. The mods seem complicit in derailing threads that may be of consequence to PA anglers. And instead, you discourage discussion of the species that provided the very foundation of fly fishing in PA, while allowing thinly-veiled attempts at insulting anglers (uber alles, gemmies, etc) that support that species and heritage. The regulars often shout down and derail important voices/topics in the field, while ignoring important issues and news reports on the state of fisheries in PA.

I remember when PAFF had enough clout to help shut down the Big Spring hatchery for pollution. We had our differences back then, but could rally around worthy causes. Now it seems like PAFF is more interested in derailing topics, discussing irrelevant minutiae, insulting others who don't share the same opinion, and ignoring important issues. I'll bet you naively thought you could influence the Freeman Run situation. I participated in the survey, even though I knew it was futile. You were way too late to the party, and PAFF no longer has the clout it once did. I'm happy to discuss offline if you ever want to improve your standing in the outdoor community. It's your show, but WTF?
Tldr
 
Back
Top