PFBC FALL AND WINTER TROUT STOCKING TO BEGIN OCTOBER 1!

I don't live in PA. I live in SWPA. If you are fortunate enough to live within a half hour of wild trout, great. I have caught put and take within that drive time. Period. I also think trout have a better chance of survival from fall to spring than thought water in the 70+'s of summer.

Your elite is showing.
I live in swpa also, a decent amount of brookie streams 15-20. Min. If I want to fish for browns with any size its atleast an hour. Plenty of other species to fish locally, smallies, largies, pike, carp. Don't be a trout brat
 
site is such a drag these days. can't folk just enjoy being outdoors without being crapped all over. don't like stocked trout, don't fish for them then. easy as that.
Agreed. I'm all for people sharing their opinions, but the "holier than thou" attitude is getting old.

If you don't have anything productive to add to the conversation, maybe just keep it to yourself...
 
I never suggested stocking over wild fish. I specifically mentioned marginal water. Water that will be cold enough from fall into spring to provide trout fishing opportunities for people who bought a fishing license.

What money is being "taken from taxpayers". be specific.

I'm sure the majority of license holders could not care less about a 100yd easement to allow others to access a piece of water near a population of 1 than is 150 miles from where they and 50,000 other people live.
You're right, you didnt but dudeman told me to stick to that argument so I was saying they are 2 separate arguments.

As for taxpayer money, its been widely discussed here but ill go again.

In 2020, $27.5 million of growing greener 2 funds went to PFBC and 24m of that has been allocated to hatcheries. And in fiscal year 20-21 $78.9 million was allocated from the capital fund with $76 million of that going to hatcheries.

Here is the breakdown of the gg2
IMG_20260930_113144.jpg


This program is not fiscally sustainable. It depends on outside grants and capital fund bailouts to just maintain the infrastructure it currently has while the cost of operations continues to rise. At some point something will have to give and that point is getting close quickly. That is why they are desperate to merge PGC and PFBC. Schaeffer sees the writing on the wall and wants to get his hands on that oil and gas money to prop up stocking.
 
site is such a drag these days. can't folk just enjoy being outdoors without being crapped all over. don't like stocked trout, don't fish for them then. easy as that.
Thanks for your well made point. This is site for anglers who like to fly fish in Pennsylvania. This includes stocked trout, wild trout, warm water fish and some people even enjoy eating some of them too. Debates about the merits of fishing for different types of fish is part of the site and encouraged, but giving someone a hard time because they do or don't like to fish for stocked trout doesn't fly.

We had this problem before and it got out of hand. We are not going there again. If you forget here is an announcement about the issues - Thread Derailments and Brookie Conversations

If you are not doing this and just being constructive thanks.

BTW this was a thread about stocking NOT wild brook trout.
 
Last edited:
site is such a drag these days. can't folk just enjoy being outdoors without being crapped all over. don't like stocked trout, don't fish for them then. easy as that.
I agree with your philosophy, but I've never viewed this site as "such a drag", or I wouldn't have stayed here for 17 years. I've learned that if I don't like what's being said in a given thread, it's best to just move on. My complaining about it likely won't change things. JMO
 
Thanks for your well made point. This is site for anglers who like to fly fish in Pennsylvania. This includes stocked trout, wild trout, warm water fish and some people even enjoy eating some of them too. Debates about the merits of fishing for different types of fish is part of the site and encouraged, but giving someone a hard time because they do or don't like to fish for stocked trout doesn't fly.

We had this problem before and it got out of hand. We are not going there again. If you forget here is an announcement about the issues - Thread Derailments and Brookie Conversations

If you are not doing this and just being constructive thanks.

BTW this was a thread about stocking NOT wild brook trout.
I heard about that a while back when I wasn't active on PAFF, but thought it was a joke or exaggeration. You really want to suppress discussion of wild brook trout? Our state fish? The only native stream-dwelling salmonid in the state? I didn't read the old thread, but just to be clear, are you saying that's off limits? If so, WTF? What's with the specific bias?

It seems to me, that just about every thread on this forum gets hijacked by a handful of regulars. Do you remind them to keep the discussion on topic, or only when it comes to wild brook trout? SMH.

BTW, stocking and wild brook trout are intertwined in PA. IMO, you can't separate the two. It's the over-obsession with stocked invasives that's led to the decline of wild brook trout in many streams I've fished over the years. Continued stocking contributes to continued decline.

No wonder trout anglers are increasingly seen as out-of-touch by conservation groups, non-profits, land managers, foresters, naturalists, watershed stewards, paddlers, hikers, hunters, birders, bass anglers... I spend more time rubbing elbows with those folks, and I've seen a significant shift in the outdoor community's attitude regarding trout anglers, harmful stocking practices, and non-native species. It's refreshing to see that shift. Maybe someday it'll trickle down to PAFF
 
If atleast half of the fish can't survive it is literally wasted money. Stock a species of fish that won't die in less than a year. Or it makes more sense to you to keep shoving trout in streams that aren't meant to have trout in them.
Some of you just dont understand put and take fishery. I pay to have fish stocked in streams around my area so I can take what I want. Even tho I choose not to keep them.
Also not sticking up for fish comm as I think they do make some unwise decisions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CRB
I heard about that a while back when I wasn't active on PAFF, but thought it was a joke or exaggeration. You really want to suppress discussion of wild brook trout? Our state fish? The only native stream-dwelling salmonid in the state? I didn't read the old thread, but just to be clear, are you saying that's off limits? If so, WTF? What's with the specific bias?

It seems to me, that just about every thread on this forum gets hijacked by a handful of regulars. Do you remind them to keep the discussion on topic, or only when it comes to wild brook trout? SMH.

BTW, stocking and wild brook trout are intertwined in PA. IMO, you can't separate the two. It's the over-obsession with stocked invasives that's led to the decline of wild brook trout in many streams I've fished over the years. Continued stocking contributes to continued decline.

No wonder trout anglers are increasingly seen as out-of-touch by conservation groups, non-profits, land managers, foresters, naturalists, watershed stewards, paddlers, hikers, hunters, birders, bass anglers... I spend more time rubbing elbows with those folks, and I've seen a significant shift in the outdoor community's attitude regarding trout anglers, harmful stocking practices, and non-native species. It's refreshing to see that shift. Maybe someday it'll trickle down to PAFF
Did you even read the post you replied to? Like every word?
 
I'm confused...

I took this post as nothing more than an FYI from Dave about the upcoming fall stocking schedule (BTW Dave, you have a typo in the title; ALL instead of FALL 😉 )...

Not a thread to discuss the merits or lack thereof of stocking in PA.

Similar to announcements made about fishing shows or new fly shops. However the folks (like me) who wouldn't bother going to a fishing show or fly shop don't automatically use it as opportunity to chime in on those threads about why we don't....

That may explain some of the angst and weariness for folks (also like me) who don't spend every online hour looking for segues to espouse their dislike for trout stocking.

Going forward, maybe announcements of this type should be locked for comment lest someone gets their knickers in twist one way or the other and save the bickering for threads specifically created for that purpose.
 
It seems to me, that just about every thread on this forum gets hijacked by a handful of regulars. Do you remind them to keep the discussion on topic, ...
Actually yes, and I'm a regular. When a thread is going down the wrong road, and is getting too far away from the actual topic, members are sometimes reminded to try to stick to what was originally being discussed.
I've actually been warned by Mods via DM about certain infractions of PAFF policy. Don't feel picked on. 😉
 
Did you even read the post you replied to? Like every word?
Yes, but here, fixed it for you:

"We had this problem before and it got out of hand. We are not going there again. If you forget here is an announcement about the issues - Thread Derailments and Brookie Conversations

If you are not doing this and just being constructive thanks.

BTW this was a thread about stocking NOT wild brook trout."
 
Actually yes, and I'm a regular. When a thread is going down the wrong road, and is getting too far away from the actual topic, members are sometimes reminded to try to stick to what was originally being discussed.
I've actually been warned by Mods via DM about certain infractions of PAFF policy. Don't feel picked on. 😉
Well, it doesn't seem to be working. 😉

Constant thread derailment is why I don't hang out here much these days.

And I don't feel picked on. Dave wasn't responding to anything I posted.
 
Back
Top