To try to answer your question. I would be for any access gained. Stocked trout, smallmouth, anything. It should have been a major focus 50 years ago and on.
I just want to know if not from fixing the budget woe (the hatchery system), where does this money come from?
Opportunities are all over. Money talks and there is a reason the industries have been able to make large acquisitions of land. Money. Generally speaking, fishing access is much cheaper and i doubt the CAP program could fund a large scale access campaign alone.
Where does the money come from for it?
Having funds is less than half the battle that needs to be fought to gain access, first you have to find available property along a desirable waterway and then you have to be able to afford it without doing something stupid like grossly overpaying.
I'm just guessing, but I bet there is less AVAILABLE desirable property than money...
In regards to stocking lakes, while I agree with the premise they are used by people with handicaps, etc., there's a reason why you will see WAY more anglers sitting in chairs or 5 gallon buckets at most Stocked Trout Waters...
There just happens to be a LOT of people for one reason or another who don't wade. Maybe not on FFO's or Delayed Harvest, but FOR SURE on regular Stocked Trout Waters (STW). Maybe they can't wade or they catch enough trout without the added hassle, but at the closest STW's to my home, I'm lucky if I see one or two wading anglers a season.
So I'll also go out on a limb and say there are probably MORE places to set up a chair and fish (relatively) still water on a creek from the bank than on most stocked lakes. Most of the stocked lakes I've fished in my life may have a fishing pier and some bank access, but it's usually NOT all the way around the lake.
And the lake bank fishing trout anglers know if the bucket brigade can't get to a far-off spot on the other side of the dam, it is probably a waste of time to walk way over there in the hopes of catching some trout.
So it is my unscientific opinion that the reason stocking trout in lakes is popular is less about access for the challenged, but because the lake is already a destination for warmwater fish and adding trout to the mix makes it more exciting & special for anglers that fish there.
I still remember a day over Memorial Day Weekend warm water fishing Lyman Lake for bass. If you know the lake, you know that it is hardly an ideal bank fishing impoundment with a beach, boat launch and a fishing pier on one side along with a narrow bank area anywhere from a foot or two above the water to WAY above and a far side that is a PIA to get to or fish from, let alone set up a chair on and relax.
But this day (and I am taking the holiday weekend into consideration) there were one or two guys on the floating pier catching trout and WHOLE lot of other folks lined up on the bank catching other stuff and hoping for a trout. It was nice to see the enthusiasm.
I also remember a day on small pond in the Poconos that got stocked once or twice with trout by the town. I fished this pond often, but always for bass or sunfish. One day I unexpectedly caught a couple of trout which was pretty cool in my book.
Still water fishing for trout isn't my thing, but that experience changed my appreciation and the way I approached fishing that pond going forward.