PA Stream Access and PFBC Budget Woes

Letort

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
505
City
Carlisle

Interesting You Tuber based in PA discusses the loss of 25 miles of approved stocked trout water this year. Also discusses that 48% of PFBC budget is geared towards stocking.

Imagine if some of those dollars are diverted to creating permanent access to waters, that would be amazing. Other states have gone down this route (Wisconsin).

PA is so enmeshed in its put and take fishery that it will be very difficult to pivot.
 
Last edited:
1000009428.gif
 
Sounds like if they didn't stock those waters, it would eliminate the need for access. That would save money. Taking stocking money and spending it on access doesn't save any money. It's just spending the same money you dont have on something else.
 
I got 1:19 into before I was bored to death. I’m sure it’s a great video with a great message but man the delivery is awful
 
I'd like to see PFBC acquire more PFR's, no arguments there.

We've talked stocking reform to death on this forum, but generally speaking the most trash and poor angler behavior I've seen happens in April near opening day on stocked streams. I'd venture to say that posting of land has a lot to do with that. My frame of reference is what I see in SEPA, where stocked trout are the norm and a lot of people fishing for said trout will only do so in the spring.

It's a little bit difficult for PFBC to just stop raising trout all of the sudden when a stream gets posted, it takes a year at minimum to get a legal sized trout from a hatchery. Those fish that may have been stocked in a now posted stretch will just get reallocated to another section or stream all together.

It would be nice to see some of the financial resources be reallocated to other projects, but any change will not be instant.
 
Back
Top