Net Suggestions

I like the Grays Net. Only issue is you might be mistaken for a competition guy...
61gbSVJX4NL._AC_SX679_.jpg

As a long time tennis player I think the nets made from old tennis racquets are pretty cool. You can pick up an old graphite frame racquet off craigslist for under $20 and just buy an appropriate size netbag from Janns and thread it on - just as lightweight as the fishpond nets, just as durable, and works great - won't make you cry if you lose/break it. Plus the handle is a little longer than standard nets. You can spray paint it if you don't like the graphics.
I made a brookie size net from an old racquetball racquet and its lightweight and works great.
^This. I suspect the racket may be a tad more durable than a FIshpond net. Tennis rackets are aluminum right? This will bend as opposed to carbon/fiberglass, which will crack.

This is a great idea, I like how grippy tennis racket grips are.

^This. I suspect the racket may be a tad more durable than a FIshpond net. Tennis rackets are aluminum right? This will bend as opposed to carbon/fiberglass, which will crack.

Wood, aluminum and carbon fiber have all been used for tennis, squash & racquetball rackets so you have a choice but "old" usually means wood or first generation aluminum.

In regards to grippy, you could always add tennis racket replacement grip material to a fishing net...

I've been thinking of adding electrical tape to make my FIshpond nets a little LESS grippy. They new coatings they have are grippier and tend to be a little hard to retrieve from my waterproof sling.

I've been thinking of adding electrical tape to make my FIshpond nets a little LESS grippy. They new coatings they have are grippier and tend to be a little hard to retrieve from my waterproof sling.

Electrical tape will never stick very well or very long to a net handle and the adhesive will get sticky and the tape will move/peel when it gets hot as it is really not designed for that purpose.

You should try and find large diameter shrink tubing to fit over the handle and use a heat gun to shrink it down.

It will do the trick, stay in place and it is removable.

Wood, aluminum and carbon fiber have all been used for tennis, squash & racquetball rackets so you have a choice but "old" usually means wood or first generation aluminum.

In regards to grippy, you could always add tennis racket replacement grip material to a fishing net...
Well, I played with wood and aluminum a million years ago but almost all racquets in the past 25 yrs or so are graphite framed. Those are the kind I'm referring to. Similar materials to the Fishpond nets. I have only seen one broken graphite racquet in the past 25 yrs and it was one a guy smashed into a brick wall after losing a match. Some people take their hobbies way too seriously.

Like BB said you can get replacement tennis racquet grips for around 10 - 15 bucks off any tennis online store or amazon and put them on a net.

BTW you can still find aluminum framed racquets on craigslist or in resale stores - getting rarer tho.

No love for either of these?

Fishpond Mid length. it's the lightest and best out there.

I would go with an overgip! I'm in the tennis business and have never really thought about netting one up but might have to give it try. I'm sure my wife would be thrilled to have one less racket at the house with broken string.

As a long time tennis player I think the nets made from old tennis racquets are pretty cool. You can pick up an old graphite frame racquet off craigslist for under $20 and just buy an appropriate size netbag from Janns and thread it on - just as lightweight as the fishpond nets, just as durable, and works great - won't make you cry if you lose/break it. Plus the handle is a little longer than standard nets. You can spray paint it if you don't like the graphics.
I made a brookie size net from an old racquetball racquet and its lightweight and works great.
Great Idea, long time tennis player and racquet stringer, I have a few tennis racquet laying around. I find fine mesh nets difficult to handle for big fish in faster water...I'll have to check out the weight and handle thickness combo. 👍

Can anyone explain why people are using the gigantic nets? I understand in a boat you need a long handle. You can get a 24" trout into a fairly average sized net so why the huge hoop and long handles for wading?
I like some of the fishpond nets because they are lightweight. Personally I use a Bass pro net that cost ten dollars. Very soft mesh. I do know the guides like to stand around looking cool with giant wood nets as they shout orders to their clients.

Can anyone explain why people are using the gigantic nets? I understand in a boat you need a long handle. You can get a 24" trout into a fairly average sized net so why the huge hoop and long handles for wading?
I like some of the fishpond nets because they are lightweight. Personally I use a Bass pro net that cost ten dollars. Very soft mesh. I do know the guides like to stand around looking cool with giant wood nets as they shout orders to their clients.
A long wooden (or other sturdy material) handle can double as a wading staff. Only reason I can come up with. (No need for a giant bag unless targeting muskies or sturgeon while wading.)

For me - it depends on where I'm fishing.

On the Big D, Clarion, or Kinzua tailrace, I have a good chance at catching big fish.
And a larger net is helpful in getting them landed and released quicker IMO

I remember using an "average size" net there
And finally working a large fish into it, only to flip right back out , and go on another long run.
That happened quite often

Based on years of netting many truly large fish and multiple fish at one time while electrofishing, if the netting is constructed of stretchy material, the hoop size of the net is much less important. One can handle a sizable fish with a relatively small net without the fish flipping out of the net. The stretchy netting allows the bag depth to increase when you need it and the rest of the time it is out of your way. The best netting that I had ever used of that type had either a hexagonal or octagonal mesh pattern and was knotless.

Last edited:
So what are good sources of “netting” should one want to try the tennis racket approach or just to replace an old net?

Nylon Net Company, but I do not know about requirements for minimum netting amounts.

After taking a tumble down a hill earlier this morning my net is now in several pieces. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a replacement. This net was roughly 2 feet in length, but I have been thinking about possibly getting one with a longer handle. Looking for any comments on the practicality of a longer handled net. I don't float anywhere but I imagine a longer handle would be easier to land fish with. Thanks in advance!
I fish using a chest pack with a net hanging down my back using an Orvis retractor. I have always bought the Cortland wooden net with a rubber basket from Walmart for $20 and have had zero issues with it. As another member mentioned, your pack style will dictate your net style/handle length. I've netted 20+ inch fish with ease in the cheap Cortland net and I really don't see a need for me to upgrade to something more expensive (the basket is plenty deep). Another thing to take into consideration is how agile you are, its easy for me to squat down and really wrangle a fish in close to me with my short handle net, other guys might not be able to do this and a longer handled/longer length net may make it easier.

Back