Lackawanna pre-spawn fishing

Here in central PA the browns don’t start until roughly the third week in November. I can’t imagine the Lackawanna is much different. Fish until the leaves are down and settled in packs on the stream bottom.
Theodore Gordon observed that spawning began just after the first cold rain of Autumn in the Catskills. Good advice. In fall of 2025 the spawn began here 6 days after a light snowfall.
 
The time frame is not concentrated. Central Pa limestoners have a few early birds in late October. I have seen this many years on LJ. But full swing starts in and continues through November and mid December depending on where you are. By November 1, I am strictly fishing dry fly in slower areas of stream where spawning does not occur. By the second week in November, it is almost entirely smaller trout that are not yet sexually mature that are rising. "Smaller" is relative to the stream or river in question.
 
Back
Top