How Many Rods in Your Quiver?

30+
75% of them are old bamboo rods needing restored. After restoring a handful i found myself satisfied but ill get to fixing them all up eventually. I feel never have to buy another rod again, nor do i want to.
 
I used to own 30 or so at a time and cycled them out for different ones.i think i own 10 now.

5 I use.
I could probably go down to 3.
I'll probably go down to 3.
 
I probably have 40 or so rods that are in good enough condition to fish. Last winter I built up 5 new ones, all glass. I have no idea how many I have stashed away awaiting repair, rebuild, or for parts. This winter will be all about bamboo rebuilds. Have 5 or 6 that I've been wanting to get back into service.
 
5-8 wt? 9
1 11 wt
1 12wt
Other rods?
Freshwater baitcasters- varying ranges- 11
Fresh water spinning- varying ranges, 6
Saltwater conventional 8 in varying ranges
Saltwater Spinning, incl. Surf rods? 5

If I go back to the west coast next year for albacore on the fly I'm going to have to buy at least one new higher capability fly rod and reel combo. Pacific albies on an 11 wt. are a serious challenge.
 
Around 30 or so… I don’t really want to count. 😂 Unfortunately, I’ve turned into a bit of a gearhead when it comes to rods. Not necessarily expensive rods—just good, functional fly rods that work.

I primarily target trout, so my quiver runs from 2wt all the way up through 7wts.
 
Six.

10' 2WT - smaller water Euro rod
10-11' 3WT - bigger water Euro rod
9' 5WT - all-around rod
9' 8WT - salt/bass rod w/ cassette reel
7'6" 4WT - small stream rod
6'6" 3WT - brookie rod

That's it. I've really tried to manage my tackle inventory through the years and stick to just what I use.
 
I've tried really hard to stay out of this thread for weeks now, on account of fear of my wife.

My short answer is: too many.

And, I just got another one: to 'celebrate' leaving a toxic job situation and accepting a new position/small salary bump.

Its a 7'6 cane rod, 4-5 wt, 3/2 made by Jim Baliestrieri in Wisconsin, his 'Driftless' taper.

To help some of us out, we should start a weekly support group on Fly Rod addiction/hoarding.

Joe
 
Last edited:
Some encouragement for those just starting out with low numbers that feel they are missing something...

When I began fly fishing and for about 10 years afterwards, my quiver contained a 5'0" 4wt (graphite), 7'6" 5wt (graphite) & an 8'6" 6wt (graphite). With those three rods I fished EVERYWHERE including SEPA, NEPA, SCPA, NCPA, Catskills, NYC reservoirs, Northern Joisey; you name it...

Later I sold the graphite rods and bought a 7'0" 4wt (bamboo, 8'0" 6wt (bamboo), 8'0" 4wt bamboo, 8'6" 7wt (bamboo) & a 9'6" 8wt (bamboo) and fished ONLY those rods for almost two decades before beginning a serious acquisition phase almost 20 years ago when I had the cash and desire to revisit graphite and discover glass.

HOWEVER, before I went nuts, I honestly never felt like I NEEDED more than three or four rods for the kind of fishing I did with a fly rod which was close to 100% trout in PA, NY & NJ.

Obviously it helps that when it comes to bass or the salt, I'd rather use spinning or casting tackle because I HATE fishing with big flies on heavy lines and I'd rather target sunfish with a bobber & worm; but the reality is...

If you stick to one or two types of fishing and/or types or sizes of water; two or three rods will easily get the job done. If you are a just brookie fanatic or medium stream aficionado, you could probably get by with one rod.

I readily admit that if you have the desire & funds, having a rod or combo for every mood is lot more fun, but hardly necessary.
 
hmmm, my glass addiction is coming along quite nicely...
I did some bartering on this latest rod.

A Harms/McFarland 81/2' 5 4pc glass. Like new used condition.
Looking forward to a christening on an upcoming Savage/ NB trip in October.

PXL_20260715_194732544_copy_768x840.jpg
PXL_20260715_194743273_copy_938x366.jpg
 
Back
Top