Full cage reel?

E

Ed007

I was thinking about getting a full cage reel because I am going to be fishing a monorig more and trying to eliminate the "pull through". I currently have a Hydros and absolutely love it. I love the "zero" start up inertia and really protects the light tippet I use. I am looking for suggestions on a full cage reel that is comparable to the Hydros. I want it to have good stopping power for larger fish and I know it sounds awful but looks matter. I don't really like the classic spey looking reels. I also wouldn't want it to be any heavier than my Hydros.
Thanks
Ed

I use an old Teton Tioga for my mono rigs and it works fine. Plenty of options, but I will only make general comments.

Weight of reel is to balance rod and light is not always the answer. I have a slightly older heavier reel to balance the 10 1/2' rod I now use with a mono rig. Plenty of recent posts on this.

I generally don't like the word stopping power or drag could stop a truck. Drag needs to be smooth first and foremost - jerks lose fish. Second drag shouldn't be set all that high. One guide is 1/3 of tippet break strength. Big fish like steelhead or bonefish just have to run sometimes and smooth and steady beats strong. There are times you can't stop a big fish from running into a bush and it is more about guiding the fish rather than horsing it in.

Sage ESN. The ESN comes with a weight kit to help balance your rod, too. The sage trout is also full frame, but might be too classic looking for you.

Ed,

I’m assuming you are using the reel with dries since you mention a light tippet. This is me but I only use reels with very good drags when I’m fly fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and Lake Run Browns. Where every fish is jumbo. When I’m fishing inland streams I strip trout in. I never fight off the reel. I can land trout up to and above 20” but I have been fighting fish without the fly reel for almost 50 years.

I’m not saying that you should switch to my method, but I am trying to say that you can be very successful in landing larger trout without spending $350.

Admittedly I love a sweet sounding drag on a really large fish. When I use a reel with a drag, Hydros are one. Good choice there. In addition I like the Ross Reel CLA model or Bauer MX model. I buy all of mine used on EBAY. Obviously you need to look at the photos and ensure the reel is lightly used. I exercise caution if the reel is coming from a coastal town where it could have been exposed to salt water. Those options listed above, in smaller sizes than I require, should work well for you in PA.

I appreciate all the info I have been getting. I do put a lot of my fish on the reel. Just about anything over 14 in I put on the reel. Guess its just a personal preference. Its what I've always done. I was looking at a Hardy ultradisc udla. Anyone have any experience with these? I do use my 10' 4wt for erie steelhead and wasn't sure if it would be strong enough. My Hydros works well for them since I fish 5x and sometimes 6x tippet for them but I would like to try using a mono rig for them this year

Consider having a look at the Reddington Tilt. It is a closed frame design, a very nice drag system, 3 removable counter weights, and it won't break the bank. I have been using one frequently for the second season now. It works and balances well with my 9' 6" 2 wt, 10' 2 wt, and my 10' 6" 3 wt. I fish the mono rig on all 3 of these rods. I would consider getting another.

I have a few Danielsson reels. They're all full frame. And solid. I've got the Original Dry Fly on my 10' Recon. It balances well.

Latest posts

Back