fly line for dry flies and casting distance

Baron,

Watched the video and enjoyed it. I have a 25+ yr old polyfuse 7000 line from them and it is as good as the day I bought it. Soft, floats well, durable and casts nice. Unfortunately, I think that company pulled a lot of it's stuff from US distribution. The river and stream line is fantastic as is their distance pro. They are somewhere between a SA expert distance and trout taper. If you can find one, grab it you won't be disappointed

I posted about this line on another thread but in my experience having tried quite a few lines from most of the major manufacturers over the years the SA Anglers WF Textured Trout line is hands down the best for all relevant criteria (floats like a cork, shoots incredibly well and lays down and picks up as softly as can be !!!) !!!! I believe Sierra Trading Post has some in 3 & 4 weight for $49.99 but now that the board is hip to them I won't be surprised if they start selling out. Tight Lines folks :)

If you are looking for distance the fly line isn't going to make much of an difference unless you are fishing with a double taper and plan on switching to a WF line . I would switch to a more powerful rod .

I would agree if distance is your only goal but this Textured line shoots like crazy without sacrificing a delicate presentation and I think even more importantly it also picks up delicately as well AND it floats as well as any line I've ever had without the need (due to Scientific Anglers proprietary AST coating) to treat it with a line dressing. However to each his own here and this is just my opinion and I'm just trying to offer it up as information to help people make an informed decision. As always Tight Lines to all :)

I have never had a line that shoots like the Sharkskin line I used for a few years. I could also roll it the width of Pine creek with a snap and it was weight forward.

It was also the only line I ever had that was "noisy" and would saw through my finger from striping. They charged 100 bucks for that stuff. I won mine in a drawing and it was a cool experiment, but I would never pay that kind of money for a line. I would imagine the newer textured lines with only length-wise texture are quieter and don't leave as big a groove in your digits.

I was fishing over 200 days a year at the time but I was never more satisfied with any line more than I was with the old DT6 Cortland 333 I had for over 10 years. I had a middle of the road 5/6 wt LLBean rod and threw DT at 6Wt and WF at 5Wt and it seemed to balance out very well. The WF lasted much longer as I rarely used it . I really like DT lines because they roll cast so well.

Do textured lines increase wear on the guides?

troutbert wrote:
Do textured lines increase wear on the guides?

No.

While it my seem to defy logic, the uneven surface contacts the guides less than a smooth surface, causing less friction and thus shooting more line and increasing distance.

My thought was that the uneven surface may pick up more dirt and cause more wear on the guides. But I've found my textured lines remain cleaner so I need to clean it less often and find I remove less dirt when I do clean the line.

They seem to float higher (air pockets in the uneven surface) and they float longer between cleanings because they pick up less dirt as stated above.

Also they are noticeably more supple when compared to my smooth fly lines.

Other than the "zip-zip" sound (which I've grown to actually like) the textured lines have a lot of benefits.

Another long rear taper line is Cortland's Modern Trout. It is a 1/2 wt heavy line as opposed to SA Trout which is true to wt.

I have 2 5wt and a 6wt in green which I purchased when that color was discontinued. The current SA Catalog only lists the Expert Distance in Competition Orange. The Trout line taper is almost identical to the Mastery Expert Distance and is a great long taper line. The only real difference is that the Sa Trout line is 90ft and the SA MEDT in green was 105ft. MEDT was never offered in 4wt, Trout is.

Back