Dogs while fishing?

When I was about 21 I lived in a rural very tiny village and my neighbor bred some dogs - English Setters - for hunting from horses in southeastern Pa. wealthy places.
Pheasants in south central pa were wild and numerous.
I got one of the pups and he was in the small kennel next to his mom. They each had a box and warmth from the barn-like building next to the house.
That scenario set, I was able to train him well and we hunted together all the time. Just walking fields and woodlots, together or him on his own. Back then many people let their dogs roam on their own.
We walked fields and woods and streams.
He would fish native trout streams with me.
He would stay where I told him, in the middle of the stream down from the distance of the longest back cast possible.
As soon as he heard the reel clicking from me winding up to move up to the next run he would come up to me.
Unfortunately I had to leave him for four years while I was in the Army.
When I again became a civilian that dog and I were inseparable.
Didn't need a leash to walk the sidewalks and into bars and in my workplace and usually under my desk where I worked in Coudersport. He would wait outside the door to places I didn't want him to come in.
We were inseparable. He was great with just the two of us fishing for brookies and alone many times because most people didn't fish for trout after the spring months.
He was my first dog and I fell in love with English Setters. So great with hunting grouse and woodcock and even swim and retrieve ducks (not often).
He hunted the shore and waded shallows along the shore when I would wade the Juniata for smallies.
He didn't bother with anyone else. Actually didn't bark or growl ever until I moved to a new place. The new place was a very tiny village in the middle of an area of family farm next to family farm. Lots of wild pheasant and no ticks at the time.
I brushed him daily because of the burs he got from free-ranging during most days. One day while I was brushing him after a hunt, as it was turning dark, the landlord came over to me to talk. He didn't know it was my dog I was brushing because the dog went so limp. The landlord came closer. When the landlord got close my dog growled.
The landlord jumped. He thought I was cleaning some small rug!
It was the first time ever that dog barked at anyone! I had never heard him growl. He very, very rarely barked.
So a dog and the experience can create lots of different crowd reactions, but IMO dogs do not belong in any situation where there are multiple fishermen. From caddis hatch to Green Drake. Even though a dog and its "master" are in a close relationship, if there are other people and they are also casting, no dogs.
 
Back
Top