Dogs while fishing?

ianpcook

New member
Joined
Jun 26, 2023
Messages
7
City
Pittsburgh
So, after seeing some amazing pics of all the bestest boys and girls y'all have -- including some of their feline friends -- I thought I'd ask an etiquette question:

What are people's views on anglers taking their dogs with them? I saw a couple pics where people clearly had their pups alongside, so I don't think I'm the only one that likes a companion on the water. But not having grown up fishing and being mostly self-taught (and fishing alone almost exclusively), I've never posed this to a group.

So, what're the views? Big no? Always fine? Only fine if the dog is always on a leash? Never for wading, but do what you want if it's contained on a drift boat?

My general approach has been to take my dog only to places I've been and know I can keep him under control on the banks, have him tight to my side if we have to cross water, or lash him to a tree if there are other anglers around. If I have never been, I don't bring him since I can't guarantee any of those things. I've never had anyone complain, and I've asked at local fly shops if there's one near the water I'm fishing (Neshannock Creek Fly Shop, for example) to see if there are any local preferences.

NB: I tried looking to see if this had been covered before, and didn't find a thread on it.
 
Generally a hard no here. Too many injury risks to, essentially, clueless family members/pets. Did try it a few times, spent more time supervising, and not enough fishing.

Then there's that "Hey!Dad threw something, I'm gonna go see what it was!" factor.
 
I probably wouldn't bring a dog along if I was fishing on a popular stream at a time of year when I knew it was going to be relatively crowded with other anglers.

However, seeing someone's dog along the stream wouldn't bother me at all unless the dog displayed aggression or was so overexcited that it jumped all over me with sharp claws and muddy paws. In fact, I would welcome it.

I grew up hunting behind gun dogs, so maybe that experience affects my outlook.
 
I have nothing against dogs, in fact I love them. If you choose to bring one along when you fish, you have that right, but it isn't something I'd do. Too much to pay attention to when you're trying to focus on fishing. JMO

That said, there's a local stream I fished for a lot of years, but now folks have found the need to bring their dogs down to the stream for a swim, when there are two dog parks within very close proximity (one 200yrds away) to this stream. I've had some dog owners let their dog jump in right where I was fishing, and I was there before them. I almost never fish there anymore for that reason. Respect seems to be a thing of the past.
 
Last edited:
Some dogs are so well behaved and/or trained, that they would cause no interference for other fishermen, but it's probably a small percentage.
 
Back
Top