Dad’s old Silaflex

use2wuz

use2wuz

It still works and casts like a really wet noodle - Dad was a “fiberglass only” fisherman until he passed in 2018 - I believe it was because he worked at the Owens Corning plant in Huntington in the late 40’s early 50’s and got to fish some of the first glass rods of that era - he couldn’t afford bamboo and never was interested in graphite. He was Harvey schooled at Penn State and always casted with a “book under the arm” style wrist flick - something I still do too … anyhow - I take his rods out a few times a year - and miss fishing with him.

Attachments

• 8948ED88-F470-4CC8-AB86-6DBDB8AFD68E.jpeg
    8948ED88-F470-4CC8-AB86-6DBDB8AFD68E.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 33
I still regularly fish the Silaflex that I bought new in 70's.
I’m more of a Fenglass guy when it comes to glass - but I appreciate them all - even the slightly heavy modern Buttersticks

Attachments

• BF8CA210-FD1C-4F39-B4CD-CB85BB4F061E.jpeg
    BF8CA210-FD1C-4F39-B4CD-CB85BB4F061E.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 8
  • B25F7F47-7415-4ECC-9D98-42F95FA5A716.jpeg
    B25F7F47-7415-4ECC-9D98-42F95FA5A716.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 9
It still works and casts like a really wet noodle - Dad was a “fiberglass only” fisherman until he passed in 2018 - I believe it was because he worked at the Owens Corning plant in Huntington in the late 40’s early 50’s and got to fish some of the first glass rods of that era - he couldn’t afford bamboo and never was interested in graphite. He was Harvey schooled at Penn State and always casted with a “book under the arm” style wrist flick - something I still do too … anyhow - I take his rods out a few times a year - and miss fishing with him.
Did George Harvey cast in the "book under arm style?"

I began flyfishing around 1970 and didn't have any instruction about casting. But never cast in that style.

To me it makes as much sense as playing tennis or swinging a baseball bat with a book under your arm.

My first fly rod was a Silaflex, which I still have. When I was very young, I asked for a fly rod for Christmas and Santa left me a Silaflex under the tree. It's a two piece 8' 6wt, which I never use. I originally had a Phlueger Medalist reel on it, but that's been lost in time.

Attachments

• IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 8
I still have my Dad's Browning Silaflex 7wt. Its a bit of a pain to travel with as it is a one piece with an 18" extension part to convert from 6' to 7.5' or so. I was planning on trying the shorter configuration as a small stream rod, but I bought a butterstick instead.

There is something magical about using vintage rods our fathers an grandfathers used. It connects us in ways that are beyond expression.

I began flyfishing around 1970 and didn't have any instruction about casting. But never cast in that style.

To me it makes as much sense as playing tennis or swinging a baseball bat with a book under your arm.
Harvey taught beginners that way to “educate” the wrist for proper rod loading - once that technique is learned, then the arm - shoulder - hips - body shift come into play. With most of our fishing in was mountain streams or smaller lakes out of a boat. Dad and I didn’t see the need (or possess line handling skills) for 80-100 foot casts anyway, we usually opted for stealth, position, and accuracy.

See the recently posted “Don’t Reach” vid from Afishinado - the host explains it very well

Back