Cabin/Weekend Home

pwk5017

Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
469
I havent been as active on the forum(or the sport) for the last decade. A little crazy to think back at when i was a student at PSU when i made this account. Two young kids and an intense career have subtracted from fishing, but i want to try and recapture that moving forward. As my kids(1.5/4) age, i hope it will be easier to involve them. As it stands, we have two bike trailers for taking them along on bike trails as well as kid carriers for taking them on hikes. In fact, some of my favorite memories with the family over the last few years are the random days we took off to hike/bike, play in a stream{(while dad sneaks in a cast or two), and just generally be at peace outside. This leads to my main question/advice from the group. Like probably every other guy on the forum, ive harbored fantasies about a weekend place away from Pittsburgh since i was probably 15. That dream is definitely within financial reach now. Not a lakefront place at Deep Creek kind of budget, but enough for four walls and a roof. As i start to think through if this is a good idea, i also started to think about the where of it. For decades, i assumed this would be somewhere in the laurel highlands near the Yough. We like the gap trail, i proposed to my wife at Fern Cliff, and it is an area that we have hiked, fished, and biked for decades. To be completely honest however, i dont know that ive ever had a 'good' day fishing the yough. Ive had a few great smallmouth from when i was a member at the C-vill gunclub, but ive waded a decent amount below the falls and above the falls and it is an immense amount of work for so-so fishing. The two floats i did with guides over the years were also kinda meh. Gorgeous floats, and there are portions of that river where you can really fool yourself into believing you are 200 years in the past. This year i picked up a trailer, titan 12.5, newport 300 motor, etc. and spent more time on the lower yough from buena vista/boston/west newton, and while i love being on the water, the fishing was disappointing this summer. Obviously an off year with rainfall, but the youtube/social media feedback on the yough is it was terrible this season. Also, those portions of the yough are a little too industrialized for my tastes. Beyond the Yough, Meadow Run was a lot of fun 15+ years ago, but seems like it gets crazy amounts of pressure the last 5+ years ive visited. All to say, i am overlooking my nostalgic bias for Ohiopyle and want to poll the group for what areas they suggest.

1) if you have a second place, would you do it over again? Did you find it to be a maintenance/financial burden, or did you not use it as much as you anticipated?
2) How far is it from your primary residence? How far is too far? I feel like anything over 2 hours one way is hard to consistently hit. Thankfully with remote work, it isnt crazy to think we could leave our place in the South Hills of Pittsburgh after work on Thursday and be at the weekend place before 8pm during the summer.
3) I am hesitant to go too cheap on a bare-bones no running water kind of place, because id like this to be collectively about family outdoor time and not just dad's fishing the entire weekend. Also, like above, i think it would get more use if it had decent amenities and the ability for me to work half a day on fridays.
4) Anything i am missing that i should definitely be thinking about?


Like i already said, Ohiopyle, Ligonier, Confluence, Yough Lake were my first thoughts. From cursory views, these are not areas with a ton of bang for your buck(i suspect air bnb is to blame for that, especially for the few homes in Ohiopyle, wowza). I dont have much experience along the Allegheny River, but i am curious about Emlenton/Foxburg north. We have done a few of the bike trails along the Allegheny and some were nice. Some were terribly bumpy. Similarly, we spent several weekend trips throughout the ANF doing Heart's Content and some other hikes. Not enough to scratch the surface, but i know there is likely enough trails/wilderness to keep us occupied for awhile. And finally, beside the Allegheny River, it is nice that French Creek, Clarion, Oil Creek, and Tionesta Creek could offer some variation. I havent fished a single one of them and they might all be terrible disappointments, but variety is nice. If you were looking within a certain drive time of South Hills Village Mall, where would you spend your money? Also, feel free to tell me this is a horrible idea and that ill barely use it and in a few years my children will be so involved in sports that i will never see them again. This is all feedback i have received to my face, so you wont hurt my feelings.
 
I am east of Pgh, Delmont / Slickville/ Saltsburg area. We have a place around Benezette, which is jusy shy of 2 hrs for me. I think that 2 -3 hr drive timeframe is long enough to feel like you got far enough away but not so long that you have to stop a bunch of times on the way. You mentioned lots of good spots. I always thought somewhere on the Clarion river would be a nice place for a camp. Friends have a place near Tionesta, that is a good spot too.

The single biggest problem you will have with a career and a young family is finding time for maintenance. The grass doesn't stop growing while you are gone, and thats the easy part. If you dont make regular trips and keep up with maintenance every time, then the 3 or 4 times you do get up there you spend all of your time working on the place.
 
Just food for thought, will you be happy going to the same place year after year? If there is any hesitation, the 200k or whatever your budget may be could cover a lot of long weekends at air bnbs all over the place.
I am lucky in that I married into a long standing camp situated on a state forest lease and my yearly member dues are only 200. My wife and I have discussed buying a camper and this was my exact logic, for the cost of one plus maintenance plus a 3/4 ton truck to tow it we could afford to rent cabins and hotel rooms fo years worth of trips.
 
Just food for thought, will you be happy going to the same place year after year? If there is any hesitation, the 200k or whatever your budget may be could cover a lot of long weekends at air bnbs all over the place.
Yes, this is a great point. Partly why i am asking if people use their secondary places a lot. I suspect i would be there 2x or more a month from May till august. After and before that it might be more spotty, but autumn is an awesome time to be outside in PA. My problem with the Airbnb argument—which I’ve watched a few pointed arguments concerning the Florida beach house or west coast ski house—is I’m really not renting Airbnb’s currently because it’s impossible to pack the bikes, the bike trailers, the packs for the kids, the trailer with my kayak and canoe, the two dogs, and then the humans and their clothes. It’s a lotta crap that I couldn’t do in one trip or with one vehicle. I don’t intend for this place to be a replacement for all vacations. For the next 5ish years it would likely just be the cabin and an annual beach trip, but when my kids are older and a little more self sufficient then we plan on traveling more. And yeah, $300,000 plus utilities, plus taxes etc is absolutely a ton of air bnbs! It’s probably 25 years worth, to be exact ha.
 
I am east of Pgh, Delmont / Slickville/ Saltsburg area. We have a place around Benezette, which is jusy shy of 2 hrs for me. I think that 2 -3 hr drive timeframe is long enough to feel like you got far enough away but not so long that you have to stop a bunch of times on the way. You mentioned lots of good spots. I always thought somewhere on the Clarion river would be a nice place for a camp. Friends have a place near Tionesta, that is a good spot too.

The single biggest problem you will have with a career and a young family is finding time for maintenance. The grass doesn't stop growing while you are gone, and thats the easy part. If you dont make regular trips and keep up with maintenance every time, then the 3 or 4 times you do get up there you spend all of your time working on the place.
Man, testing my geography of PA. Here I am thinking I’ve been to just about every small town in the state and I had no idea where Benezette was. That is definitely on the edge of complete wilderness. Years ago I got lost leaving emporium and had no cell service.

So, it is worthwhile and you use the place a decent amount? Would you do it again?
 
My father had a 2nd house on Harvey’s lake for 7 years. Ultimately sold it and then rented a place at the lake every summer. it was cheaper to rent, he only went to the lake in the summer and when he was at the lake he wasn’t spending his time working on the lake house rather then fishing. We also had a hunting cabin (trailer) up in Susquehanna County. Really never went there when I was in your shoes because my kids activities (soccer, basketball and swimming) took over most of my non working time. Fishing never made my list of what was important so I never sweated fishing or not fishing. Working towards my retirement, building my home, and watching my kids excel was way better than any fishing trip I ever went on. Luckily, I enjoyed my job and those I worked with. Over the years I turned my house into my home where it contains everything in life that I love. I really enjoy my home and my time there.

Now my kids are grown and out of the house with their own families and I’m retired. The world is my oyster. I’m buying an RV so I’m not nailed down to one place. Next year I’m renting an Airbnb in Florida for February and a place in SC for March. Winter 2028 I hope to be in Arizona. I like the flexibility of going wherever I want whenever I want. Outside of visiting family and friends I actually haven’t been anywhere twice. The thought of getting away to the same place and doing the same thing does not sound appealing to me.

For me, in your shoes, I think a small RV would be a better idea. You can take it to different state parks or you can put it on a seasonal spot in a campground with a swimming pool and other amenities that the wife and kids would also enjoy while you fished. Meanwhile you can transform your house into your home and make it the place you like to be at when rest and relaxation is in order.

Just my read on things based on my experience with a young family and young career.
 
Having a "camp" is great. It's a lot of work. Having others with some skin in the game makes it easier. It also creates some factions of members with like and different priorities among members. On the other hand if its just yours. It's all on you. If you have the means and the time, go for it.
 
I’ve been flyfishing from the burgh for almost 50 years now.
Like to fish many different areas of the state, and never really considered buying a camp
That would be too confining for my taste
I like to be free to go somewhere else when the fishing isn’t up to par
And - as others have mentioned - the upkeep is often like having a second home to keep up with
 
It's fair to say that taxes, utilities, and maintenance costs could go towards vacation rentals. To say that the entire $200 or $300k would pay for a lot of air bnb is disingenuous. The money spent on the purchase of a property will appreciate. It may not beat the S&P but it is not a sunk cost like hotel and cabin rentals are.

From experience, owning a place will channel your time to certain area. If you and your family are good with that, it is a good way to go. If you like to go to different destinations with less commitment, it is not.

We spend about $2,000 per year in taxes and electric. I'd spend every weekend there if I could. My wife likes more diversity but it works out. Kids sports have had a drastic effect on the amount of time we can spend there, so that is something to think about going forward.
 
Back
Top