Yeah - I did it … need some advice

use2wuz

use2wuz

I’m gonna try to club a few New York Kings over the head with a Spey rig this coming season. Gonna need to rig this stuff for a heavy 12.5 foot two hander - what loop knot on the slick shooter (looks like amnesia to me 🧐) shoots through the guides in YOUR expert opinion? Perfection loop is an obvious choice but is there something better/stronger/faster like a spider hitch or Bimini that would function better going through all those guides? I’m not worried about knot strength on 50# - just function TIA

Attachments

• 7D41A6EF-3725-4278-9934-BEC5261BA3E7.jpeg
    7D41A6EF-3725-4278-9934-BEC5261BA3E7.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 15
I no longer use any loop knots when salmon fishing in NY. I've had too many fail.

I no longer use any loop knots when salmon fishing in NY. I've had too many fail.
I’m all for eliminating loops - I assume blood knots and nail knots where appropriate?

Attachments

• 78235F92-AE2F-422C-A9B9-8F4F0F962A7D.jpeg
    78235F92-AE2F-422C-A9B9-8F4F0F962A7D.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 7
I’m all for eliminating loops - I assume blood knots and nail knots where appropriate?
I use a nail knot to the fly line and then all blood knots depending how much you taper down. I've noticed loop knots with salmon always tend to break right below the knot.

I use a nail knot to the fly line and then all blood knots depending how much you taper down. I've noticed loop knots with salmon always tend to break right below the knot.
Thanks - possibly due to the “hinging” effect when joining unequal diameters (?)

Thanks - possibly due to the “hinging” effect when joining unequal diameters (?)
Not exactly sure the reason for the failure but I do know I got tired of losing fish, flies, and all my leader (still break off a lot but at least not at the top of my leader like it was with the loop knots).

So, with you setup, I'd go with a floating 30lb rated running line like an Airflo ridge. It's not going to slip through the guides like the rio but you get better line management and won't inadvertently slip through your fingers. With the 30lb running line, you'll need to keep your tippet to a 15lb maximum. 15lb and 12lb Ultra Green is a good choice. The loop system will let you change heads and tips streamside. Most of your casts will begin with the loops just pass the rod tip.

I've hooked dozens of big kings on a loop to loop connection and never had a leader or fly line failure. Then again, I'm not spey casting, so maybe YMMV. I think the key is setting up a failure point in the rig for if and when you snag a fish or get hung up. Improved clinch knot at the fly or the line break is always my failure point.

I use loop to loop for backing to fly line and to leader. When the fly line loop looks cut, I nail knot and coat with UV Knot sense for a smooth transition. Hope that helps, and fish on!

I've hooked dozens of big kings on a loop to loop connection and never had a leader or fly line failure. Then again, I'm not spey casting, so maybe YMMV. I think the key is setting up a failure point in the rig for if and when you snag a fish or get hung up. Improved clinch knot at the fly or the line break is always my failure point.

I use loop to loop for backing to fly line and to leader. When the fly line loop looks cut, I nail knot and coat with UV Knot sense for a smooth transition. Hope that helps, and fish on!
I’m figuring on the clinch to fly knot being the failure point - I hate losing flies but hate losing $100 line rigs WAY more 😎👍🏼

Back