Waters with the Biggest Potential

I will mention the stream as it is arguable one of the heaviest fished smaller streams around. The beaver ponds on Slate Run one summer yielded fantastic fishing for me, it seems like anglers there frequently take action to discourage beaver establishment. Beavers are natural and brook trout evolved with them. In watersheds where there is room for floodplain inundation without threatening infrastructure I don't think beavers hurt a thing.

My impression from various ST streams under low flow conditions and depending upon the abundance or paucity of pools has been that under very low flow conditions ST from shallow areas may retreat or move upstream to the few deeper pools that remain, creating temporary, unnaturally high concentrations of adult fish. I recall one stream in Lancaster Co where we avoided such a pool and started electrofishing upstream of that pool so as to not favorably bias the data. The entire stretch sampled above that pool was shallow riff, run, bedrock, and apparent remnants of pocket pools. Below the pool the stream was narrower and fairly deep. This suggested that there was greater probability that the trout in the pool had moved downstream as upstream areas became shallower. On other streams with more even distribution of pools under low flow conditions I have not found (electrofishing) such extreme concentrations of ST or legal ST.

From a fishing standpoint, I once fished a small beaver dam size pool on Windfall Rn under very low flow conditions and I had the same impression that the abundance of ST was much greater than would normally (more typical flows) be found in a pool of that size.

My impression from various ST streams under low flow conditions and depending upon the abundance or paucity of pools has been that under very low flow conditions ST from shallow areas may retreat or move upstream to the few deeper pools that remain, creating temporary, unnaturally high concentrations of adult fish. I recall one stream in Lancaster Co where we avoided such a pool and started electrofishing upstream of that pool so as to not favorably bias the data. The entire stretch sampled above that pool was shallow riff, run, bedrock, and apparent remnants of pocket pools. Below the pool the stream was narrower and fairly deep. This suggested that there was greater probability that the trout in the pool had moved downstream as upstream areas became shallower. On other streams with more even distribution of pools under low flow conditions I have not found (electrofishing) such extreme concentrations of ST or legal ST.

From a fishing standpoint, I once fished a small beaver dam size pool on Windfall Rn under very low flow conditions and I had the same impression that the abundance of ST was much greater than would normally (more typical flows) be found in a pool of that size.
During the extreme drought of 1999, I walked along the upper part of Hammersley Fork, starting from the top and walking downstream.

In that case, ALL of the trout were in the larger pools, because there was no water in the stream channel other than in those pools. Most of the channel was dry.

This shows the importance of pool habitat. During extreme drought, pools are the only places with water, so the only places trout can survive.

Beaver ponds are very large pools and have habitat for large numbers of brookies to survive the drought.

I wonder what the agencies: PFBC, Game Commission, DCNR, ANF have for a management plan for beaver populations. Are they trying to increase populations? Increase their distribution? Or trying to keep populations low? Or about the same?

There are lots of small streams out there on public forest lands. Why aren't there more beaver ponds? Also, I've seen several places where beaver ponds were there, now they're not. Was that a natural situation of them moving on to another site? Or was it a man-caused change?

I didn't read all 7 pages but did anybody mention Pohopoco Creek below Beltzville? It already has year round cold water which is the toughest part but it could really use some structure / stream habitat.

During the extreme drought of 1999, I walked along the upper part of Hammersley Fork, starting from the top and walking downstream.

In that case, ALL of the trout were in the larger pools, because there was no water in the stream channel other than in those pools. Most of the channel was dry.

This shows the importance of pool habitat. During extreme drought, pools are the only places with water, so the only places trout can survive.

Beaver ponds are very large pools and have habitat for large numbers of brookies to survive the drought.

I wonder what the agencies: PFBC, Game Commission, DCNR, ANF have for a management plan for beaver populations. Are they trying to increase populations? Increase their distribution? Or trying to keep populations low? Or about the same?

There are lots of small streams out there on public forest lands. Why aren't there more beaver ponds? Also, I've seen several places where beaver ponds were there, now they're not. Was that a natural situation of them moving on to another site? Or was it a man-caused change?
I think that there is a cycle someone else on here may better be able to speak to this. First beavers dam up and then all the trees come down in the flood plain or in the stream and eventually when beavers move some the dam gives and the wood in the beaver pond that trapped sediment becomes a beaver pond when water levels lower and a channel is cut again through the beaver pond. Rosenbauer had a beaver guy on recently id check that podcast out. Someone on here can correct and fill in.

Other thing is that may be only silt bottom that high mountain native brook trout swim over so they can be extremely food rich with chironimids and big burrowing may flies. They also have salamanders in abundance often.

And a dam removal!
Yes, that dam by the turnpike raises the water temp 6 degrees on a hot day. Some group was advocating for a fish ladder which would do nothing for the temperature issue. The dam and pool is owned by the zinc mining company in Palmerton. Pull out the dam and you have a nice cooling flow going into the Lehigh.

And this describes pretty much how it is right now on that same stream, with near record low flows. They can't all be ending up in pools, as some stretches of stream aren't near pools, and are devoid of water. Some will get trapped in smaller pools that end up drying up, if a heron doesn't get it first.. Makes me wonder what the mortality rate is during one of these events? There has to be some.

It's been dry enough up in NC that I haven't even made an effort to get up there this season. It seems nothing shy a hurricane coming up the coast, dumping heavy rain across Pa, will change the situation up there.

Last edited:
And this describes pretty much how it is right now on that same stream, with near record low flows. They can't all be ending up in pools, as some stretches of stream aren't near pools, and are devoid of water. Some will get trapped in smaller pools that end up drying up anyhow. Makes me wonder what the mortality rate is during one of these events? There has to be some.

It's been dry enough up in NC that I haven't even made an effort to get up there this season. It seems nothing shy a hurricane coming up the coast, dumping heavy rain across Pa, will change the situation up there.

The Kettle Creek gauge is at 5.78 cfs, which is extremely low for such a big watershed.

Rain is forecast for the next few days, so hopefully that will end the drought.

I agree that such low water causes substantial mortality of wild trout.

The temperature readout at the same gauge showed that it went over 80F some days.

Speaking of Hammersley, I just spent two nights camped in there. Good news/bad news deal.

Things are very low, as you can see, but except for a few short stretches of heavy cobble flows were continuous, and you’ll probably be surprised to see how much water there still is in the good pool habitat.

Good news, there are plenty of fish alive, and we didn’t observe any dead Trout in the dry stretches, though there were dead Sculpins in those areas. I assume given their bottom dwelling lifestyle they’re slower to move than Trout. We didn’t fish, it would have been pointless to even try, but the water temps were upper 50’s/low 60’s.

The fish are fine. Other than being more consolidated into the pools, they were acting completely normal…swimming, and eating, and easily spooked. A quick flash of a flashlight onto the water at night reveals many eyes looking back at you, and many sets of fins fluttering away in the little bit of current that was there.

I used to get worried about low flows like this, but if you go up and observe the fish and how much water there still is for them, even at these trickle flows, you’ll sleep easier. They know what they’re doing.

824B2655 DE08 40D0 AAD8 908EB3FE530B
2EC563AB 0824 4D60 84EE DCDCE16F5ACB
0A2463B5 488E 44C8 8FF2 8E06FDBC7971
A96444F9 9836 498B BB54 0F64C12DA4F2
2736D391 4527 4B41 803E 9F699619A3F0

Last edited:
Yes, that dam by the turnpike raises the water temp 6 degrees on a hot day. Some group was advocating for a fish ladder which would do nothing for the temperature issue. The dam and pool is owned by the zinc mining company in Palmerton. Pull out the dam and you have a nice cooling flow going into the Lehigh.
Is the zinc company still in business? Check this out: Article about cleanup in Palmerton.

Matt, that's encouraging to hear. The second to last pic looks like it's just above the "big hole"?

I was just up at Cook Forest for the weekend and Tom's Run was the same way. It was very little water, just the slightest trickle, between each pool. I could see leftover stockies in each pool milling around acting normal though. If they are surviving okay then the Brookies are fine, too.

I walked Hammer Creek and Walnut for a bit this morning. Took a temperature reading off a 5 foot bank below where Walnut runs in. Next thing I know, the whole bank collapses and I end up in the creek with the dog standing above me! Lost my phone but found it later on the trail. 66 on both Walnut and Hammer. I was surprised Hammer's flow was not terrible. Walnut was a trickle but did see a few tiny brookies and a couple smaller ones. Didn't really get to closely check for trout in Hammer because of the dog and my fall.

In the evening I checked out lower Middle. The small spring along Middle Creek Road looked totally dry. The water was an absolute putrid green that I saw last year about the same time. We discussed whether it was the lake, but I think it is not just the lake as this is probably 10 miles downstream. I saw a bunch of huge Hexes at the head of the pool on Limerock. The flow was not as bad as I thought. It's surprises me with how dry it's been and seems like all the brief storms and showers have missed us. Corn looks healthy with a few farmers doing some watering now. Lower Hammer flows look decent too. The only time of year Hammer is clearer than Middle. I'll post a few pictures when I get the chance.

for me it would be the East Branch of the Clarion...an Army Corp engineer product . its a bottom release, main channel in the lake is roughly 120 ' deep , i`ve fished it since the middle 90`s, good cold flow, never seen the temps above 62 deg... good access from below the dam down into Bendigo State park and further down stream ... I have caught fingerling browns in the water right below the dam..... but thats were it stops, no bug life, if they would just clean the water up

Why do so many threads on here degenerate/morph into a brook trout advocate forum? Yes it's our state fish. Yes they are beautiful. If they are not hardy enough to survive or compete, sorry about your luck. If they can't live in stream ABC, maybe we can clean up stream XYZ and they will flourish but that doesn't mean F other trout....or does it in your eyes? I know this will make me a real favorite 😉

I'll still stand with the raystown outflow as offering tremendous potential. I can also understand the kinzua outflow potential. Lehigh is already pretty good and don't know that the release tower repair will happen in my lifetime... which is sad.

Back