Wader Stocking Foot Wearing Out...

J

jordan7982

Does anyone else have the issue of wader stocking foot soles wearing out and causing leaks? I've had two pairs of waders in my fly fishing career so far (first hodgman, then simms trib) and both have failed due to leaks on the bottom of the stocking foot. I cant get a good aquaseal repair to stay either.

I know i hike-fish a lot so that is probably part of the problem, but is there anything else i missing? Am I still cheaping out as far as the simms tribs go? I'd like a pair of waders to last more than two seasons without the soles looking like a mesh filter...

Does anyone else have the issue of wader stocking foot soles wearing out and causing leaks? I've had two pairs of waders in my fly fishing career so far (first hodgman, then simms trib) and both have failed due to leaks on the bottom of the stocking foot. I cant get a good aquaseal repair to stay either.

I know i hike-fish a lot so that is probably part of the problem, but is there anything else i missing? Am I still cheaping out as far as the simms tribs go? I'd like a pair of waders to last more than two seasons without the soles looking like a mesh filter...
First off, make sure your wading boots are free of sand or fine gravel when wearing them. That will wear out neoprene booties faster than anything. The problem could be with your wading boots. Some wading boots have large vents to drain water but they also will allow sand or fine gravel to enter your boots while wading. Unfortunately, neoprene booties are hard to repair and must be replaced most times, which can cost more than the waders are really worth. Good luck.

I didn't think about the wading boots at all... That's definitely my problem. I have just cabelas entry level ones and they always have sediment in them. I'm assuming thats never fully eliminated but nicer boots probably do a better job. Thanks!

I’ve been wearing Cabelas wading boots for a decade, maybe longer. That’s not the issue. I also buy the cheap Cabelas waders. So that’s not the problem either. I can get 3 to 4years out of the both And can stretch it longer if I don’t mind a slightly damp spot. Can’t say I know what the problem is but I’d lean towards improper care. I’d look to see how you are putting them on and taking them of. How tight are your boots? Are you properly drying and storing them after use?

I didn't think about the wading boots at all... That's definitely my problem. I have just cabelas entry level ones and they always have sediment in them. I'm assuming thats never fully eliminated but nicer boots probably do a better job. Thanks!
I have the Orvis Ultralight Convertible waders with Orvis Clearwater boots (felt) and never get sediment inside of them. Not once. Four years with this combination.

A bit pricey, but you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I’ve been wearing Cabelas wading boots for a decade, maybe longer. That’s not the issue. I also buy the cheap Cabelas waders. So that’s not the problem either. I can get 3 to 4years out of the both And can stretch it longer if I don’t mind a slightly damp spot. Can’t say I know what the problem is but I’d lean towards improper care. I’d look to see how you are putting them on and taking them of. How tight are your boots? Are you properly drying and storing them after use?
While you have not had any problems with Cabela's wading boots, you may not have the same model as the OP. Cabela's sells many different styles of boots and do sell some good quality, well-designed wading boot models.

The OP wrote:

"leaks on the bottom of the stocking foot"

"the soles looking like a mesh filter..."

"they always have sediment in them"

If seen this happen when working at the fly shop many times. If wading boots allow sand and fine gravel to enter, it acts like sandpaper on the soles of the booties.

Note: I also assume the waders have gravel guards to cover the boot tops preventing gravel or sand to enter.

Last edited:
having them fit well with the boot is #1. Check the boot liner, make sure it is compatible, soft material. Not sure how much it helps but I always wear heavy socks- added cushion.
Pay attention to not only the thickness of the bootie, but also the density. Better waders have heavier density stocking foots.

Good point afish. fit then

Good point afish. fit then
Proper fit is very important so your booties don't slide back and forth when you walk.......

But the elephant in the room for me is ""they always have sediment in them"....

Something doesn't sound right. I rarely have sediment in my wading boots so long as I have them tied tight and the gravel guards properly in place.

I will say though that when I used to wear Hodgeman's I only got a season or two out of them cause the booties would compress and leak. That was 20 years ago though, problem solved when I switched to Simms.

having them fit well with the boot is #1. Check the boot liner, make sure it is compatible, soft material. Not sure how much it helps but I always wear heavy socks- added cushion.
Pay attention to not only the thickness of the bootie, but also the density. Better waders have heavier density stocking foots.
You can also put socks over the booties, something I used to do when I wore cheaper waders and wading boots.

Thanks for all the input guys. The cabelas boots are very worn as well so im pretty sure i just need to buy new of both boots and waders.

I'll change the topic slightly: Any recommendations on gear for someone who hike/fishes the majority of the time? I've always told myself I'd get lightweight boots for that reason but don't know much about how they "wade" versus traditional boots.

Back