Tippet Rings and tangles

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

Maybe it's just me, but since I've started tying my two fly setups directly onto a tippet ring I seem to have much less twisted entanglements of the top fly. Is it just me thinking that....or is that actually occurring? Anyone else use this type of setup or think this helps with less entanglement?

2K1Z107QFW_SM-1

... but since I've started tying my two fly setups directly onto a tippet ring I seem to have much less twisted entanglements of the top fly.

2K1Z107QFW_SM-1
Can you describe specifically how you're setting this up? I use a tippet ring, but only have a single tippet (5X) coming from it to a single fly. If I'm doing a dry/dropper, I tie the dropper directly to the curve on the dry fly hook. I almost never have issues with this setup.

It's simple. You tie one short piece of tippet to the ring and tie the dropper to that. You than add a long piece of tippet and tie the point fly to that.

I don't find that I tangle any more or less with that set up than just tying the dropper to the tag of the blood knot.

I don't think the OP was talking about dry/"dropper" set ups, rather two nymph or two wet flies. You can still use a tippet ring with a dry, though. Just put the dry at the point position and make the dropper a true dropper.

In all cases, you'll hook a lot more fish on the top fly with either a tippet ring or tying to the blood knot tag than if you tie to the hook bend. Plus, you can use a barbless hook without the tippet slipping off.

The big advantage to the tippet ring comes in the winter, when you can pre-rig the dropper and point at home. When you get to the stream, you only need to tie one knot with cold fingers.

Last edited:
It's simple. You tie one short piece of tippet to the ring and tie the dropper to that. You than add a long piece of tippet and tie the point fly to that.

I don't think the OP was talking about dry/"dropper" set ups, rather two nymph or two wet flies.
I understand now. I might try that next time I'm out. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

Maybe Steeltrap has unknowingly opened up his loops upon presentation because in my mind, there should be no difference versus off a blood knot or something similar to that.

I understand now. I might try that next time I'm out. It'll be interesting to see how it works.
Yeah....I wasn't clear. I was talking about two nymphs at different depths. Example....lower fly tied on 20" below the tippet ring and second one at 6" below tippet ring.

When I tie the tippet on the ring the "upper" piece is knotted at a 45-degree point away from the longer (lower) one.

I suppose it's the same as using a blood knot but the only advantage I see is having the ability to swap out the tippet length without having to tie another blood knot. Then again, I dunno if that's a real time saver.....I usually tie on the tippet ring with an improved clinch knot.....and on occasion I will use a nail knot.

FWIW

Yeah....I wasn't clear. I was talking about two nymphs at different depths. Example....lower fly tied on 20" below the tippet ring and second one at 6" below tippet ring.

When I tie the tippet on the ring the "upper" piece is knotted at a 45-degree point away from the longer (lower) one.

I suppose it's the same as using a blood knot but the only advantage I see is having the ability to swap out the tippet length without having to tie another blood knot. Then again, I dunno if that's a real time saver.....I usually tie on the tippet ring with an improved clinch knot.....and on occasion I will use a nail knot.

FWIW
When rigged as you describe here, I have noticed less tangles than if I add the tag using a triple surgeons knot, but not than if I use a bloodknot. I think they key element in reducing tangles with a tag fly is the tippet coming off the main line at a 45 degree as you mention.

When rigged as you describe here, I have noticed less tangles than if I add the tag using a triple surgeons knot, but not than if I use a bloodknot. I think they key element in reducing tangles with a tag fly is the tippet coming off the main line at a 45 degree as you mention.
I tangle every single time with a surgeons knot. Seldom with a blood knot or tippet ring.

Back