The Annual Paflyfish Spring Jamboree is set for May 19-21, 2023

27585549967 1859bcaf83
Friday, May 19 is the start of our meetup for the Paflyfish Spring Jamboree Weekend at the Seven Mountains Campground. This is our annual get-together for members of the site to fly fish, tie flies, camp, and share a few stories. We have a lot of fun fishing over some of Pennsylvania's finest streams including the Little J, Penns Creek, Spring Creek, Fishing Creek, and plenty more in the region.

The pavilion at Seven Mountains Campground is rented by Paflyfish and is used as a meeting point during the weekend. Plenty of impromptu conversations, fly-tying, and meet-ups occur at the pavilion.

8759429289 024ebd76f2 c
The weekend is a casual event with fly fishing in a great region of Pennsylvania. As with every year, we will be meeting up in the evenings at the pavilion to catch up on the day's fishing trips. Friday and Saturday mornings we meet for coffee and plan the day. Often plenty of opportunities for some fly tying and casting lessons are shared.

At this time, we will not be going to plan any special speakers or activities. That could change, but there is always plenty of impromptu fly tying, casting lessons, and support on where to fish. So if you are unsure about the area, do not worry there are plenty of members from the site that can help get you started.
2007 4fc3b050ae5b6

Many anglers from the site come up early or stay later after the weekend. Follow this thread for the latest details or ask any questions.

Please contact Sevens Mountain Campground directly if you would like to stay there that weekend. They have a limited number of cabins, RV hook-ups and campsites. I encourage you to make your reservations now.

Dates: Friday – May 19th - Sunday, May 21, 2023

Use the code: PAFLYFISH for a 10% discount.

Sevens Mountain Campground
101 Seven Mountains
Campground Rd.
Spring Mills, PA 16875
(814) 364-1910

pcray1231
Will this be before the dreaded green drake hatch?
Yeah, its usually toward the end of MB's and at peak sulpher as the main events, with a smattering of other stuff around.

Sometimes lower Penns is getting a couple pioneer drakes. The hatch varies a little and so do the dates of the jam (weekend before memorial day, but memorial day varies a littpe). There have been years where drakes were found, and its not uncommon for people to stay the week after and get into them a little.

J
Is this open to anyone from forum and is there people to take u out and show u the streams. I'm coming from erie and never fished this area. What flies should I bring

JackM
Open to anyone. If you get up there early on Friday, say, 4 pm, there will probably be folks around. If you aren't shy, just go introduce yourself. The big beautiful streams are not hard to find, even if no one offers to let you tag along, but they will.

pcray1231
Flies: All life stages of sulphers. Nymphs, emergers, duns, spinners. Same on March Browns. Those are the main show. Compared to Erie it's very bug/hatch centric and it's at peak sulphur.

Possibility to get into drakes, olives, etc. But those are less likely. If it's up some, streamers. Generic nymphs are good to have. And there are brookie streams around so your favorite brookie flies.

I
View attachment 1641228270Friday, May 19 is the start of our meetup for the Paflyfish Spring Jamboree Weekend at the Seven Mountains Campground. This is our annual get-together for members of the site to fly fish, tie flies, camp, and share a few stories. We have a lot of fun fishing over some of Pennsylvania's finest streams including the Little J, Penns Creek, Spring Creek, Fishing Creek, and plenty more in the region.

The pavilion at Seven Mountains Campground is rented by Paflyfish and is used as a meeting point during the weekend. Plenty of impromptu conversations, fly-tying, and meet-ups occur at the pavilion.

View attachment 1641228271The weekend is a casual event with fly fishing in a great region of Pennsylvania. As with every year, we will be meeting up in the evenings at the pavilion to catch up on the day's fishing trips. Friday and Saturday mornings we meet for coffee and plan the day. Often plenty of opportunities for some fly tying and casting lessons are shared.

At this time, we will not be going to plan any special speakers or activities. That could change, but there is always plenty of impromptu fly tying, casting lessons, and support on where to fish. So if you are unsure about the area, do not worry there are plenty of members from the site that can help get you started. View attachment 1641228272

Many anglers from the site come up early or stay later after the weekend. Follow this thread for the latest details or ask any questions.

Please contact Sevens Mountain Campground directly if you would like to stay there that weekend. They have a limited number of cabins, RV hook-ups and campsites. I encourage you to make your reservations now.

Dates: Friday – May 19th - Sunday, May 21, 2023

Use the code: PAFLYFISH for a 10% discount.

Sevens Mountain Campground
101 Seven Mountains
Campground Rd.
Spring Mills, PA 16875
(814) 364-1910
Are all members invited? I’m a principal, so it may be tough to get there, but I’m gonna work on it.

acesedgley
Ok....I have just reserved a cabin for wed - sat with room for others if interested.
E mail at acesedgley@aol.com to get in for one nite or whatever. DC410 or Zen email me!

JeremyW
@DaveKile will there be an indoor gathering venue, or just like covered picnic tables?? Just wondering if this is a place to bring gear for something like a gear swap?

JeremyW
Is it worth it to bring the 3wt for brookies up there? Thinking within 1 hr drive of the campground....

jifigz
Is it worth it to bring the 3wt for brookies up there? Thinking within 1 hr drive of the campground....
There is a ton of small stream water right around where the jam occurs with both brookies and brownies. So yeah, bring whatever rod you need for that.

pcray1231
The night time gathering place is a pavilion with picnic tables which we have reserved. Usually at least Saturday night starting around 10 or 10:30, that's where everyone heads. Other nights could be there or a haphazard gathering wherever, or multiple haphazard gatherings scattered about.

There are all sizes of water within an hour, from small mountain brookie streams to Penns, the LJR, or even the big J for smallies. Conditions dictate the game plan for most. It is not uncommon for things to be blown out, in which case the small streams might be the scene. It's also not uncommon for bluebird sunny days and low water, which makes small streams the best bet during the middle of the day, and the big water doesn't turn on until evening (sometimes late evening). But, get cloudy, drizzly weather and good water levels, it's hard to pass up the chance that bigger water will be on all day long. So, be ready for anything, and watch the conditions.

Last edited:
DaveKile
@DaveKile will there be an indoor gathering venue, or just like covered picnic tables?? Just wondering if this is a place to bring gear for something like a gear swap?
Nothing indoors. there is a pavilion we have for the weekend. The weather is usually warm enough to hang out there and there is enough cover that rain is not a problem.

turkey
With foolish confidence, I'd like to offer my own personal guarantee, that green drakes will be happening the weekend of the JAM this year. There...I've said it.

DaveKile
Hello! Just found this site as a relative newbie from York (I picked up the hobby last year). I made my reservation for this event & am looking forward to meeting up!
We look forward to you joining us.

DaveKile
With foolish confidence, I'd like to offer my own personal guarantee, that green drakes will be happening the weekend of the JAM this year. There...I've said it.
Holding you to it. The water level will be at 2,000 cfs, but there will be Drakes.

Last edited:
turkey
Holding you to it. The water level will be at 2,000 cfs, but we'll Drakes.
I can recall wading in chocolate milk up to my armpits at Coburn one year. There were drakes though 😆 They were smacking into my fly rod as I hopelessly flogged the water.

Back