Orvis Pro boots - ? sizing

K

kbobb

Hi all- in need of new boots and am getting Orivs pro model. Does anyone use these and how is the sizing? I am 11 1/2 street shoe and wear old simms waders. Thinking I need a size 13? Orvis says go up one size but they don't make half sizes. have an e mail into them and waiting to hear.

Also what is your experience with these boots?
Thanks

I have those boots in the BOA version. Like you, I wear a size 11 1/2 athletic sneaker. I have both the size 12 and size 13. I have only worn the size 12, and only twice.

They felt fine in my Dryft waders. I thought that they were too big while wet wading over my NRS neoprene wading socks. I like to wet wade when possible.

Almost all of my fishing is done on the Tobyhanna Creek in the western Poconos, which actually gets too warm during the summer for trout fishing.

I haven't yet, and don't want to use the studs that I also purchased. I want to wet wade and walk into the local bar without damaging the bar floors.

So far, I like the boots and the BOA lacing, but have only worn the boots twice.

I have not worn the size 13 yet. I have a NRS dry suit that I also haven't worn. I have that for winter fly fishing, which will be new to me this year so I don't know which size boot will work best with the dry suit.

I have several wet suits and have first hand experience with hypothermia from canoe trips. I take hypothermia very seriously. The dry suit my seem like overkill to many, but not me. I have experienced hypothermia, and it permanently scared me into spending money to prevent that from ever happening again.

So far, I like the Orvis Pro Wading Boots better than my Korkers. They are much easier to walk in from the stream to the local bar, but I have only worn them twice. I am thinking that I may need to size down to 11 for wet wading, but I haven't worn my NRS dry suit yet to know if I need the size 13.

I hope that little bit of information helps you.

I wear size 11 shoes & boots and I bought these boots (BOA) in size 12 per the recommendation in response to my email. Wearing medium weight socks plus either the neoprene wet wading booties or my Orvis Ultralight waders, my size 12 boots are plenty snug. Borderline uncomfortable.

With thinner socks I have been able to fish the long side of half a day with adequate comfort. I'm thinking my wool hunting socks for winter fishing will probably give me a problem. I wish I could have gone up an extra half size.

BTW, I delayed installing the studs until going to Pulaski for salmon. Those things make a big difference and I don't plan to take them back out.

kbobb wrote:
Hi all- in need of new boots and am getting Orivs pro model. Does anyone use these and how is the sizing? I am 11 1/2 street shoe and wear old simms waders. Thinking I need a size 13? Orvis says go up one size but they don't make half sizes. have an e mail into them and waiting to hear.

Also what is your experience with these boots?
Thanks

The best thing to do is stop into a fly shop the handles Orvis wading boots and try them on with your waders and socks you wear when fishing.

If you can't make it to the shop, I suggest you buy the size 13's and try them on. Remember, slightly bigger works okay, too small is always a no-go. If the 13's are too big, you can return and try the 12's.

As suggested, trying them on (BTW - at the END of the day when your feet are swollen) with every combination of socks, etc. is the ultimate way to get the right fit...

...However, in all of my 11,000 years of fishing on size 10-1/2 feet using any number of combinations of wader types (going all the back to latex and coated nylon); different socks, sock combos, wet wading, and different wading shoe brands...

A shoe a half size larger has NEVER cut it under all circumstances so I always buy my shoes 1-1/2 sizes larger no matter how many store clerks or other folks tell me to go with my street shoe size or the next larger size.

It is the curse of the "half-sizers," but my feet are never cramped or uncomfortable and I can wear heavier socks when required.

In addition, keep in mind MANY of the materials used in wading shoes will shrink after repeated wetting & drying, something that doesn’t manifest itself the first few times you use them. I know a few folks that literally can’t get their foot into their wading shoe when it is completely dry unless they soak it in the creek first.

Good luck!

Thanks folks,
After posting this I realized that i needed to try them on and made the drive to an orvis store - 13 was the lucky number.
thanks again.

Buying shoes without first trying them on can be dicey.
I wear a normal shoe size 11. But have ended buying sizes from 10 up to 13 to get the right fit. (I do get wading shoes a size larger)

But you can find a much larger selection, and often at better prices, on line

Boots I wear in winter ,I buy 2 sizes larger. Boots I wear for spring, summer and fall as it warms one size larger. works great for my worn out size 12 feet.

Back