Nite Lite

sundrunk

sundrunk

What kind of lighting system do you use when fishing at night? I've had several L.E.D lights over the years. Some you ware on your head, others clip on to the hat or vest pocket.

I'm trying to get in to something other then L.E.D, because I belive they affect my night vision. Usually I won't turn it on because my night vision alone seems to do the trick well in to darkness. There are times though where a light is needed.

I saw an angler a few years ago using some kind of red light. I know that the red spectrum is supposed to be better then L.E.D, blue or white, for maintaining night vision. I just don't know where to find one. Again, what do you use? Why do you like it?

I have been using a Petzl Tikka headlamp that I bought probably 10 years ago for backpacking. It is light weight and has decent power- but not as light and powerful as newer ones.

Have seen the red light also- seems a couple manufacturers have multiple colored lens you can insert now. Think maybe about getting a clip on for on my hat next time. Seems like that would be more comfortable than the headband deal.

I use an energizer headlamp with white and red LEDs. Here is a link http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97877

i keep a maglight stylus in my vest.i use it to tye knots and try to do most stuff with out a light.the stylus is LED so i keep one eye closed when using it and retain night vision in that eye until it returns to both eyes.i got to tell you though,at 46 my night vision is no where near what it used to be.

All you need to do is cover your present LED with some red or blue tape (preferably something light)

When I was in the Navy we had red lites at nite aboard ship
you can tape red cellophane over lite

How about painting it with red nail polish... I mean head cement.

I have the same one as albatross. It wasn't that expensive, and the red light is pretty nice.

I also carry a hand crank LED flashlight as a backup.

I just picked up a green led light that clips onto my hat. I like the green light in the dark.

I like the hat mounted light more than the head strap. It stays in place better.

I had the hat one and liked it but the little prongs that clip to the hat broke off...wish they had metal clips...

I have a petzl and like it, but I don't use it very often. It has 3 brightness settings, which is good for not scaring fish.

My wife has one that is for light-weight back packing that is awesome if you have limited space.

go to autozone and buy some tail light repair tapein red.Cover your whitelights with it..works great, keep a small white light for walking out.. This is how we do it at the beach and big "D". I can change flies with the red..My van is done in red also for on the beach..White light spooks all fish, unless its steady from dusk to dawn..

Sandy
I heard that the red lite in your van meant you are open for business !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great idea's all.

I picked up this ASTRONOMY FLASHLIGHT. It's about the size of a small beeper. It has 5 red L.E.D inside of what looks like a brake light from your Grandfathers Buick. It clips on to the vest or hat. Plenty of light for tying knots. I haven't put it thru a good field test but I think it will do fine.

I have the same one that Albatross and jay use. Good lighting, light-weight, inexpensive.

1. I have a simple single LED light on my hat. White light, but I can tie knots with it just fine. Been thinking about getting a red one for the night vision.

2. Carry a flashlight. Task Force LED model that takes 2 C batteries. Guys, this thing is a spotlight, it puts even the huge maglights to shame, at half the weight. I highly recommend. Great hunting flashlight and its been good for finding my way off the stream after dark too.

Thats right there beadyhead, i addvertize to the fishys... come get the worm...lol...

Back