Hat, Good Sun Protection + Works With Magnifiers?

T

troutbert

Does anyone know of a hat that provides good sun protection and also works well with the magnifiers that attack to the front brim?

Some of the wide-brimmed hats have brims that seem too floppy for the magnifiers.

Is a Lefty Kreh style hat still available? Those hats seem ideal, but I never see anyone wearing them or see them advertised for sale.

The "Lefty style" hats are still available. I think Simms calls their's the Gallatin.

For what it's worth, I fish the tropics with a regular trucker style ball cap and pull the hood from my sun shirt over it. It sounds restrictive and hot but it's not. It's to the point I won't wear a sun shirt without a hood.

Shelta.

Many styles, even full cover boonies, but all have a formable ball cap brim in the front. American company, I believe, instead of Amazon. Pricey as a result but free shipping and returns.

For me, on a river or ocean in full sun, a hood is hot, and I am one of those hood bros most of the year since I've had skin cancer cut out of me (Welcome to mohs!). I also cut the grass with the Shelta. A good, well made hat that is UPF 50 and water repellent too.

Last edited:
I have to echo what BrookieChaser said. As much as it’s a “trout bro” look a lightweight, long sleeved hoodie is great sun protection. Pull the hood up and fish away.

Dear troutbert,

Check out Amazon. There are probably more than a few hats that would do what you want to do.

I don't remember the specific model or brand of caps I bought but I picked up a ball-cap style hat with a slightly longer brim that would support clip on magnifying glasses because the brim supports a clip on headlamp powered by 3 AAA penlight batteries. It came with a snap on neck sun shield, and a bug shield for the front of the hat.

I also got a floppy brimmed hat that I really like. The two hats set me back about $ 30.00. It's money well spent for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Funny you should mention it. I bought a super nice, lightweight Simms hat with wide brim all the way around and am wondering same thing about attaching magnifiers. Haven't tried it yet.

I started wearing SPF 50 long sleeve shirts several years ago, along with a buff
Can still wear regular ball cap over the buff just fine.

Last year, I fished with a fellow who had a SPF 50 hoodie.
Got one for myself, and like that even better.
Easier to pop the hood up and down as needed, than to remove the buff.
And I can still wear a regular ball cap with it too.
Haven't had to use sunblock with either setup

Another plus - I can spray repellent on the buff or hood, and it still works fine. Instead of on my skin

Back