Fly clips for bass flies?

T

tddeangelo

I read the other recent fly clips thread, but I didn't want to hi jack that one...

I've done a fair bit of spinning rod fishing on rivers for smallmouth, and I often would rig two rods for different purposes (when fishing in a boat), and since I often used soft plastics on an 1/8oz jig, I could remove the plastic and change it out pretty easily to try different things.

For wading/flyfishing, I was wondering what you all thought of fly clips for bass streamers...? Poppers? will the clip interfere with the popper?

i don’t use them, yet. Been thinking about it myself. I see no issues at all with a clip, any old appropriately sized clip, when fishing streamers for bass. A little clip sinking a popper is a problem with the popper and not the clip. I have a ton of small clips with my spinning gear I’ve just never used them fly fishing, yet.

I just tried them on my trip to the Poconos back in May. I didn't actually use fly clips, but small 10 mm articulated shanks that I had. I stopped at the Orvis store in Plymouth Meeting and they didn't have fly clips. I had no problem with them on my bass flies, didn't catch any bass though, just a couple of chain pickerel. They even worked well with my panfish flies. I've since picked up a pack of fly clips, but haven't used them yet. I also ordered another pack of the 10 mm shanks.

Back