Eden Environmental Restoration

Thanks for keeping us informed, Shaner. Let's hope we can get to work on improving the watershed soon, perhaps even starting this year....

Growing in the riparian area is not good science. I think finding an economic model for rewarding landowners for allowing an intact riparian buffer, like tax credits, would be innovative for converting larger numbers of landowners to steward correctly. JMO.

Thanks, Oregon Owl. Why do you say it is bad science? The quality of the stream would be paramount, but why can't we plant perennials that produce food for man and beast within the buffer zone. I am certain this can work if designed properly. What are your objections?

Are any of these parts public or accessible to fish? Just curious

Upon further sampling Dee Run was added to the wild trout streams list.

Regarding stream restoration, there was and possibly still is a fund available for certain priority list York and Lancaster Co wild trout streams.

Last edited:
Allowing the vegetation to grow in a wide buffer is the main thing streams need.

But that has been known for a long time. People knew that and were working on it when I began flyfishing, around 1970, i.e. 46 years ago.

The question is how to get landowners to allow a wide riparian buffer of vigorous vegetation.

Many landowners don't want that.

Even some fishermen don't want that.
There's a lot of benefit for riparian vegetation in narrow buffers. You don't get the full pollution control, but shading and erosion prevention are wins on first order and second order streams with , say, 15 foot buffers. Farmland can be expensive and a lot of farmers can't afford 100 to 300 foot buffers. I think you have to work with what's best for both sides. At PVTU, our biggest losers were no buffers. Streams heat up quickly in only 100 yards of bare, naked sun.

Back