All around trout rod for Northeastern streams

My first rod was an Orvis Far and Fine, 7'9" - 5 weight.

Then I needed a rod for large rivers.
And moved up to a 9' 5 weight for that.

When I decided to get a tweener rod, I couldn't see getting another 5 weight then
And got an 8' 6" - 4 weight, which I like fishing with on mid size streams.

These 3 rods have suited me well for many years

I enjoy this sort of discussion. I have too many fly rods and I'm in the process of thinning the herd some, but in addition to decreasing my overall number of rods/outfits, I'm also doing my best to increase the quality and to make them rods that will be ideal for my fishing style and areas that I fish. I'm also just about to pull the trigger on an "all around" rod/reel for medium-sized PA trout streams (I also fish in South Carolina a lot and occasionally in North Carolina, West Virginia, NY, etc.) and I think I'm leaning towards a 9' 4 weight with a moderate-fast action.

I live in northern Vermont and have fished all over the northeast and mid Atlantic. And have found if I were to have one rod it would be a medium action . 9’ 6wt it will do everything well from dries, dry dropper, double nymph rigs , tight line setup also and streamers .

I think you have to answer this question for yourself. It all depends on your style of fishing. Shortest I would go is 8.5ft but I think you will find a 9 or 10 foot rod will be the most versatile. I like med to med-fast rods that cast best with a true to weight line and I have never needed more than a five weight.

Considering a higher-end ($500+) “all-around” trout rod for PA, NY, and New England streams. In researching I’ve realized that so many reviews are based on large, windy, Western rivers that might not apply to the typical East Coast streams. I’ve tried to narrow my search to be more PA and NY focused and noticed some interesting “recommendations” that don’t follow the typical 9’ 5wt “default”.
  • Fran Betters - 8‘ - 8.5’ 4/5wt
  • Joe Humphreys - 9’, 6wt
  • Telluride Angler review of a Sage X 8’6” 5wt - “Very fun 5 weight that East Coast freestone fisherman should pay attention to”.
  • George Daniels - 10’ 4wt (outside his euro setup)
I’d be interested in getting opinions from those who routinely fish the “typical” PA & NY trout streams (Tulpehocken, Yellow Breeches, State College area streams, and upstate New York - like the AuSable). What would be some suggestions for a higher end “Northeastern” all arounder from those who spend the majority of their time fishing these waters?
A 4 weight 8.5 or 9 foot rod would cover all the streams you list well. If you spend a lot of time at the bigger streams like Penns or Pine then a 5 weight 8.5 or 9 foot might be a good choice

I love my Steffen 8’6” 5/6 wt glass . perfect for east coast

Can anyone tell me about the Remington Classic Trout rod? My current 9’ 5wt rod is an Echo kit I purchased when I first got into fishing. I also have a higher end 10’ 3wt rod for tightline nymphing.

But I’d also like a more traditional trout rod for throwing dry flies and the occasional streamer. I’m not sure whether to go with a 4wt or 5wt, and whether to do 8’6” or 9’. Any thoughts would be really appreciate.
I own the 9-ft 5wt Redington Classic Trout. It's as good as the old Sage Light Lines. I'm not kidding. Most of my rods are bamboo. I own a Granger and a RK Bolt. But some days, especially windy days, I take the Redington. Since prefer a medium casting feel, the Classic Trout casts better for me than a rod costing five times as much. Get it.

I own the 9-ft 5wt Redington Classic Trout. It's as good as the old Sage Light Lines. I'm not kidding. Most of my rods are bamboo. I own a Granger and a RK Bolt. But some days, especially windy days, I take the Redington. Since prefer a medium casting feel, the Classic Trout casts better for me than a rod costing five times as much. Get it.

I have the Redington CT, but mine is an 8'6" 5 weight and while I think it's adequate, I really don't like it nearly as much as you. Admittedly, I consider myself to be an average fly fisherman, not a good one and I tend to prefer rods that are on the faster side of the spectrum. I have added two bamboo rods to my arsenal (one made by a friend and one that I made myself) and I'm starting to cast better with a slightly slower rod, so I too have occasionally taken the Classic Trout out of late. That said, if I had another option for an 8.5-9 foot 5 weight that had a slightly faster action, I'd probably sell/trade the CT. Different strokes for different folks for sure. I should also mention that I like it considerably more for tossing dry flies than for nymphs/streamers, but it seems that the vast majority of my fishing is with a nymph or with tandem flies. I presume that if I mostly fished a dry fly, I'd probably like the CT reasonably well.

Keep your CT as if you get into fishing bamboo you will become less interested in fast, stiff rods and that CT will come in handy for windy days, winter, etc. I have fished bamboo 90% of the time for the past three years and my fast graphites/borons are too stiff to fish comfortably now. I will bet your casting will improve as you get comfortable with bamboo.

Keep your CT as if you get into fishing bamboo you will become less interested in fast, stiff rods and that CT will come in handy for windy days, winter, etc. I have fished bamboo 90% of the time for the past three years and my fast graphites/borons are too stiff to fish comfortably now. I will bet your casting will improve as you get comfortable with bamboo.

I was also considering trading my 8.5' CT for an 8.5' 4 weight or even the 7.5' 3 weight but your point is well-taken.

I must be doing it all wrong! My typical rod for the mentioned streams is a 7'9" 3wt sage that is 36+ years old 🤣. On Penns, I go to a 4, 5 or 6 depending on the fishing intentions.

As many mentioned, 8.5 - 9' rod in 5 weight. Allows you to get it done on most waters. If it's med/fast - fast action, you can take a reel spooled with 6 line which might make throwing streamers / heavier nymph rig easier. It should also slow the rod a bit and roll cast nicely.

If you are interested, I have a 9' - 4wt Orvis access, mid flex AND a 8.5' - 5wt Orvis access, mid flex in the swap forum. You could get both and keep it well under $500. I fished with them a little bit and thought that they were stout enough they could be overlined very easily.

Latest posts

Back