Your plan to end Stocking over Wild

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about spring in state college
No, I assume by the creek deep as it is wide and walled in comments, the spring creek mentioned is one in SEPA with a different name than spring.

Spring in State College? By biomass…

98% Browns
1.9% Rainbows
0.1% Brookies

I feel like I’ve walked into a trap here.
I was wondering of all fish like white sucker fall fish, dace m, sculpin ect. Would be interesting to know.

I was wondering of all fish like white sucker fall fish, dace m, sculpin ect. Would be interesting to know.
It would be interesting to know. Spring Creek has a LOT of suckers. The biomass of the suckers, sculpins, minnows may be pretty close to that of the wild trout. No fallfish, or at least I've never seen or heard of any, on Spring Creek.

I would honestly guess that the biomass of suckers is above that of trout. By average weight, 1 sucker = several trout. Spring Creek does have a lot of suckers.

I also caught a bluegill on Spring Creek once. Between paradise and Bellefonte. That one surprised me!!!

I would honestly guess that the biomass of suckers is above that of trout. By average weight, 1 sucker = several trout. Spring Creek does have a lot of suckers.

I also caught a bluegill on Spring Creek once. Between paradise and Bellefonte. That one surprised me!!!
Yea i have seen some big ones in the shallows at night with the headlamp

I love it when I hook a big white sucker in Spring or any stream for that matter. Good fighters. Suckers are harder to catch than trout.

I love it when I hook a big white sucker in Spring or any stream for that matter. Good fighters. Suckers are harder to catch than trout.
They really are it takes a lot of skill nymphing due to the angle of their mouth you have to ride like a cm off the bottom and thats it id hazard a guess

I am not aware of a sampling protocol that would record length and weight of literally every fish in a stream section to calculate such number. It would be extremely time intensive and cause high stress levels on the fish due to how long it would take to hold and process an entire population. IBI surveys of just counting and identifying every fish in a section (lengths on game fish) already are very time intensive and can be hard on the fish without getting lengths and weights on non game fish.

I am not aware of a sampling protocol that would record length and weight of literally every fish in a stream section to calculate such number. It would be extremely time intensive and cause high stress levels on the fish due to how long it would take to hold and process an entire population. IBI surveys of just counting and identifying every fish in a section (lengths on game fish) already are very time intensive and can be hard on the fish without getting lengths and weights on non game fish.
I saw a research article that showed invasive blue cats make up >75% biomass of entire james river(big river). Will have to see how they got that

Again, there are some ways to estimate species composition, game fish are frequently measured in samples.

In a stream like Spring Creek you would likely need to weigh a significant representative sample of each species present, pfbc has length/weight regression model for trout, this would need to be done for white suckers to answer your question.

Just a couple general comments..

According 2021 annual report, about 75% of fishing licenses sold also included trout permit.

According 2021 annual report, people are very interested in stocking schedules.

According to 2017 annual report, a reduction in stocking will be needed if legislation does not increase funding.

According to Penn state report FishStick posted also in 2017 annual report, a general recommendation was better data so analysis can be completed..particularly knowledge of customers.

The data recommendation is most important. A data analysis of the customers should reveal some opportunities.

Attachments

• EBA352A3-8D7E-4F10-85B3-B3051A7A758E.jpeg
    EBA352A3-8D7E-4F10-85B3-B3051A7A758E.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 93C6A978-86FD-4E86-A38A-A18DAAB44C79.png
    93C6A978-86FD-4E86-A38A-A18DAAB44C79.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 338AFBC4-CBD4-4DD4-8125-E0C31B532AE4.png
    338AFBC4-CBD4-4DD4-8125-E0C31B532AE4.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 58552561-1937-4708-BCA4-97A6F798A903.png
    58552561-1937-4708-BCA4-97A6F798A903.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 6
Just a couple general comments..

According 2021 annual report, about 75% of fishing licenses sold also included trout permit.

According 2021 annual report, people are very interested in stocking schedules.

According to 2017 annual report, a reduction in stocking will be needed if legislation does not increase funding.

According to Penn state report FishStick posted also in 2017 annual report, a general recommendation was better data so analysis can be completed..particularly knowledge of customers.

The data recommendation is most important. A data analysis of the customers should reveal some opportunities.
I mean from a financial analysis standpoint a data analysis of customers is important but I would not say its more important than the required cuts listed before those bullet items. You have to ensure you do not enter financial insolvency so you can incorporate your customer data into your eventual agency shift. That needs liquid capital to happen as well. Look at the language in the report they basically say they need to and are “capable” of making hatchery and fish cuts. This perceived financial doomsday from stocking and hatchery cuts many lay people perceive was dispelled by Smeal college when they used that firm language post analysis and put those items towards top of this list.

Back