Wing and Indicator Material

salmo

salmo

While tying some 18-22 tricos I tried a new wing material. I bought 50 sheets of 12"x12" packing foam about 1/16 inch in thickness. It handled well and looked great on the water. The jury is still out on durability. I intend to use it on other dry flies like a caddis on top of the wing material for visibility. Please let me know what you think. Send me a PM and I will be glad to send you a sheet or two in an envelope in exchange for some tying material or a fly.

See link to similar product at Amazon: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71HNkmszQtL._AC_SX466_.jpg

comments are invited!

I've tried a couple spinner patterns that call for "computer packing foam" which seems similar to what you have there. When used as spinner wings, it made for one noisy fly. It caught fish, but I could hear the wings whizzing as I casted and I also experienced some leader twist. The foam is obviously more air resistant then a fibrous material like poly. Upright wings and posts might work better.

As DrownedFish says, leader twist would be my first concern here.

Just use Bonnie Cord, brush it out and use it sparsely. Holds floatant well, floats by itself for a little while and dries out super fast.

Bonnie Cord ??

Bonnie Cord ??
Bonnie cord is a braided polypropylene cord that can be teased apart and used as a wing/shuck/post material. Much cheaper than buying the carded stuff from the fly shop.

Thanks. I might pick some up at Hobby Lobby

I've tried a couple spinner patterns that call for "computer packing foam" which seems similar to what you have there. When used as spinner wings, it made for one noisy fly. It caught fish, but I could hear the wings whizzing as I casted and I also experienced some leader twist. The foam is obviously more air resistant then a fibrous material like poly. Upright wings and posts might work better.
Tip I Learned:
When tippet gets twisted I use to tie a thicker tippet, but then someone taught me a new trick and its perfect.
Knot: When you tie on your twisting fly put the tippet through the eye hook and then get a larger piece of tippet and tie a double surgeons knot. Cut off the three loose ends and keep the tippet to your fly. The fly will spin on the tippet and not twist your tippet. For popper and larger bugs I tie on a micro barrel swivel now a days.

Tip I Learned:
When tippet gets twisted I use to tie a thicker tippet, but then someone taught me a new trick and its perfect.
Knot: When you tie on your twisting fly put the tippet through the eye hook and then get a larger piece of tippet and tie a double surgeons knot. Cut off the three loose ends and keep the tippet to your fly. The fly will spin on the tippet and not twist your tippet. For popper and larger bugs I tie on a micro barrel swivel now a days.
That's a little hard to comprehend. Is there a video?

Swiss straw or poly yarn.

Swiss straw or poly yarn.
Picture the fly sliding freely on the tippet. It's only stopped from sliding off by the knot that remains after trimming as mtelesha described.

As for knots and tippet go I have no idea. I just know one knot. :)

As for wings poly yarn or Swiss straw. ;)

Attachments

• 0F20E4E1-F995-418F-860D-7D21DDB0ABCF.jpeg
    0F20E4E1-F995-418F-860D-7D21DDB0ABCF.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 7
Back