The graduation ceremony at Pitt was held in the Civic Arena. You class was announced, and you stood up. that's it. You didn't even get your diploma there. They mailed it to you.
I said screw that. I told some classmates that while they were sweating their asses of and passing out from heat exhaustion, I'd be sitting along the Clarion River with a fishing pole in one hand, and a beer in the other. And I have always been a man of my word.
It's still a sore spot for my mom, but what was she going to do. Kick me out? I had a sheepskin, was already engaged, and already had a job lined up 500 miles away from home. Only had about a week between finishing finals and starting the job. Why would I want to waste it in an atmosphere like that?
It also gave me a good reason not to go to my little sisters' graduations. Why should I when I didn't even go to my own.;-)