The Narrows - Fishing Creek

kobalt335

kobalt335

I am going to try the narrows in Lamar in the near future for the first time, and was wondering if anyone has been there recently. I honestly have no idea what to expect because i have heard from some people it's really hard to fish, others said it's easy.

I edited your title as there are many places in PA called "the narrows."

With respect to your visit, I have not been there lately, but am somewhat familiar with the stream. My advice? Go visit this section and see how it turns out.

Speaking only from my own experience....that stream usually treats me rough. The times I have done well have often been when hatches were active and fish were rising. When bugs aren't out and about, it can seem like there are no fish in the stream (there is a very strong population of wild browns and some brooks). Approach the stream with stealth. If you catch the skunk, don't give up. Try it some other time.

Not hard to wade or to fish, but sometimes hard to catch. If they aren't rising and you cannot coax them up, go to a nymph because the stream is polluted-- I mean filled-- with wild trout.

Fishidiot wrote:
I edited your title as there are many places in PA called "the narrows."

With respect to your visit, I have not been there lately, but am somewhat familiar with the stream. My advice? Go visit this section and see how it turns out.

Speaking only from my own experience....that stream usually treats me rough. The times I have done well have often been when hatches were active and fish were rising. When bugs aren't out and about, it can seem like there are no fish in the stream (there is a very strong population of wild browns and some brooks). Approach the stream with stealth. If you catch the skunk, don't give up. Try it some other time.

Thanks for changing the title, with living so close to the narrows on fishing creek, I am in a bad habit of just calling them the narrows.

I have heard this section is hard to fish because they seem to spook easily. On the other hand, I have heard if you can approach the stream right, it's very productive.

Good thing I don't like giving up.

I don't get a chance to fish it much but when I do this time of year when the water is low, I do OK with midges fished underneath. I'm talking about sizes 20 to 26 - very light gray, cream and very pale yellow and a tan.

In faster water, I will lead with a small search pattern (size 18 or 20) such as a Frenchie with a midge as a point fly. In slower moving water, I'll have two midges.

Good fishing.

Dale

polluted-- I mean filled-- with wild trout.

A++, gold star, 4.3 avg!

I was driving past the "Narrows" last week and saw a guy spin fishing. Is that legit, I thought that was a FF only section?

It's a tough stream at times, but it holds some really nice wild fish. Long casts are necessary, and it's a nymphing game

It think its artificial lures only and not a FFO.

Yeah, it's ALO in "the narrows" and the rest of the creek is under general regs. I ran into a spin fisherman there last May. Talked fishing for a little while.......nice guy. Fishing proved to be tough that day for both of us, but we both managed to avoid the skunk. Got a beautiful brown in the upper teens fishing streamers.

Even though I've only fished it a few times, Fishing Creek is becoming one of my favorites. Just an awesome stream even though it can leave you scratching your head.

Thanks for the information. I fish different sections of fishing creek a couple times a week, I just never made it up to the narrows yet and had no idea what to expect because of it being such a popular part compared to where I normally go.

Since you've fished other sections of Fishing Creek regularly, just use the same flies and techniques in the Narrows as you've had success with elsewhere on the stream.

The regulations are different there, but it's the same creek, with similar characteristics.

I don't think the Narrows is really "tougher" than the rest of the stream.

Back