PFBC ALL AND WINTER TROUT STOCKING TO BEGIN OCTOBER 1!

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 13, 2021
Messages
7,591
City
Pennsylvania
ALL AND WINTER TROUT STOCKING TO BEGIN OCTOBER 1!

HARRISBURG, Pa. (September 29) – Some of the best stocked trout fishing opportunities of the year are approaching on dozens of waterways across the Commonwealth!

Beginning October 1, 2026, and continuing through mid-December, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) will stock approximately 114,700 hatchery-raised adult Rainbow, Brown, and Brook Trout in 117 stream sections and lakes. These stockings will immediately replenish many popular fishing spots just as the fall season begins and provide ice fishing opportunities as conditions allow throughout the winter. Trout that are stocked during fall and winter can be fished for immediately.

"Beautiful scenery and some of the most comfortable temperatures of the year are in store for anglers who take advantage of stocked trout opportunities this fall," said Brian Niewinski, Director of the PFBC Bureau of Hatcheries. "Waters are getting cooler by the week and many different species of fish are very active this time of year, including bass, panfish, catfish, and walleye. The addition of stocked trout from our hatcheries just adds something different to get excited about. The easiest way to know exactly when and where we’ll be stocking trout this fall and winter is to check the stocking schedule frequently and, as always, keep an eye out for any changes to due to weather or other factors.”

In October alone, the PFBC will stock approximately 86,100 adult trout into 92 waters, including 52 lakes and 40 stream sections, including 16 Keystone Select Trout Waters, which are managed under Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only regulations. An additional 25 lakes will be stocked with approximately 28,600 trout during November and December. Anglers and stocking volunteers should note that stocking schedules are subject to change due to a variety of factors, including water temperature fluctuations and hatchery logistics. Check the schedule often for postponements and rescheduled stockings.


Extended Trout Season Regulations

Trout anglers can take advantage of the Extended Trout Season which began on September 8, 2026, and lasts through February 14, 2027. During the extended season, the daily creel limit is three trout of combined species with a minimum size of seven inches through December 31, then nine inches the remainder of the extended season, unless a water is managed under special regulations. Extended Trout Season regulations apply only to designated Stocked Trout Waters, and harvest of trout in other waters during the extended trout season is prohibited.
 
ALL AND WINTER TROUT STOCKING TO BEGIN OCTOBER 1!

HARRISBURG, Pa. (September 29) – Some of the best stocked trout fishing opportunities of the year are approaching on dozens of waterways across the Commonwealth!

Beginning October 1, 2026, and continuing through mid-December, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) will stock approximately 114,700 hatchery-raised adult Rainbow, Brown, and Brook Trout in 117 stream sections and lakes. These stockings will immediately replenish many popular fishing spots just as the fall season begins and provide ice fishing opportunities as conditions allow throughout the winter. Trout that are stocked during fall and winter can be fished for immediately.

"Beautiful scenery and some of the most comfortable temperatures of the year are in store for anglers who take advantage of stocked trout opportunities this fall," said Brian Niewinski, Director of the PFBC Bureau of Hatcheries. "Waters are getting cooler by the week and many different species of fish are very active this time of year, including bass, panfish, catfish, and walleye. The addition of stocked trout from our hatcheries just adds something different to get excited about. The easiest way to know exactly when and where we’ll be stocking trout this fall and winter is to check the stocking schedule frequently and, as always, keep an eye out for any changes to due to weather or other factors.”

In October alone, the PFBC will stock approximately 86,100 adult trout into 92 waters, including 52 lakes and 40 stream sections, including 16 Keystone Select Trout Waters, which are managed under Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only regulations. An additional 25 lakes will be stocked with approximately 28,600 trout during November and December. Anglers and stocking volunteers should note that stocking schedules are subject to change due to a variety of factors, including water temperature fluctuations and hatchery logistics. Check the schedule often for postponements and rescheduled stockings.


Extended Trout Season Regulations

Trout anglers can take advantage of the Extended Trout Season which began on September 8, 2026, and lasts through February 14, 2027. During the extended season, the daily creel limit is three trout of combined species with a minimum size of seven inches through December 31, then nine inches the remainder of the extended season, unless a water is managed under special regulations. Extended Trout Season regulations apply only to designated Stocked Trout Waters, and harvest of trout in other waters during the extended trout season is prohibited.
Yay! The BWT (big white truck) hatch!
 
If atleast half of the fish can't survive it is literally wasted money. Stock a species of fish that won't die in less than a year. Or it makes more sense to you to keep shoving trout in streams that aren't meant to have trout in them.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: CRB
200w.gif

Here we go!
 
Im curious to hear how far you both are willing to drive to go trout fishing.

5 mins? 20 mins? 45 mins?
I'm curious as to what that matters to you?

fish for something else
Here we go down the path of extremism whatever his username was that I can't remember liked to champion. I knew it was only a matter of time before this started showing up again and is exactly why I will never take the PAWTC seriously.
 
It doesnt really matter to me in the grand scheme of things, but you were the one that claimed there were no trout streams "where you live"

Assuming its in the Greenburg area, where his profile says hes from, there are at least 6 PFBC wild trout streams within 35 mins of driving.

If that isn't "where we live" I just want to know how close "where we live" is that you are advocating PFBC to stock trout twice a year for every trout stamp holder.

Im also assuming you wouldnt be advocating for them to give you treatment that they dont give others, right? That's only fair.

The biological/ecological impact of stocking over wild trout and the horrific fiscal irresponsibility are two separate issues to me.

There is a much bigger financial burden to stock within 10 mins of trout stamp holder population centers vs 30 mins. I am just trying to advocate for financial responsibility so that perhaps one day, PFBC wont have to beg for grants, capital fund bailouts, and merging with other fiscally responsible entities just to keep the overspending going.

If they can cut some of the programs down in a responsible way, that is money that isn't taken from taxpayers that want nothing to do with fishing. And eventually, once they are turning a budget surplus, more access to streams that are naturally reproducing.

If that is an argument that loses backing, I will eat that. But Ill take my chances. I doubt that is the case.
 
It doesnt really matter to me in the grand scheme of things, but you were the one that claimed there were no trout streams "where you live"

Assuming its in the Greenburg area, where his profile says hes from, there are at least 6 PFBC wild trout streams within 35 mins of driving.

If that isn't "where we live" I just want to know how close "where we live" is that you are advocating PFBC to stock trout twice a year for every trout stamp holder.

Im also assuming you wouldnt be advocating for them to give you treatment that they dont give others, right? That's only fair.

The biological/ecological impact of stocking over wild trout and the horrific fiscal irresponsibility are two separate issues to me.

There is a much bigger financial burden to stock within 10 mins of trout stamp holder population centers vs 30 mins. I am just trying to advocate for financial responsibility so that perhaps one day, PFBC wont have to beg for grants, capital fund bailouts, and merging with other fiscally responsible entities just to keep the overspending going.

If they can cut some of the programs down in a responsible way, that is money that isn't taken from taxpayers that want nothing to do with fishing. And eventually, once they are turning a budget surplus, more access to streams that are naturally reproducing.

If that is an argument that loses backing, I will eat that. But Ill take my chances. I doubt that is the case.
I rarely fish for stocked trout, but my head is also not so far up my butt to not realize the majority of trout stamp buyers do. When I do get the itch to fish and not drive far I am grateful for them.

I also am rarely in the mood to catch 6 inch fish, which is what the 6 wild trout streams within 35 minutes of me that you speak of has to offer.
 
There are plenty of wild trout streams in PA, you can find them on PFBC website on the stream map.
I don't live in PA. I live in SWPA. If you are fortunate enough to live within a half hour of wild trout, great. I have caught put and take within that drive time. Period. I also think trout have a better chance of survival from fall to spring than thought water in the 70+'s of summer.

Your elite is showing.
 
I rarely fish for stocked trout, but my head is also not so far up my butt to not realize the majority of trout stamp buyers do. When I do get the itch to fish and not drive far I am grateful for them.

I also am rarely in the mood to catch 6 inch fish, which is what the 6 wild trout streams within 35 minutes of me that you speak of has to offer.
Dear dudemanspecial,

If you keep some of those gemmies, the rest of them will get bigger! 😉

I rarely fish for trout anymore simply because I despise fishing in someone's backyard for western invasives. If they stocked cutthroats, I might get interested again. Until then, I won't fish locally for trout.

Stocking 3 million trout at a financial loss in a State where they stocked 8 million trout 40 years ago makes no sense to me. YMMV.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
 
Dear dudemanspecial,

If you keep some of those gemmies, the rest of them will get bigger! 😉

I rarely fish for trout anymore simply because I despise fishing in someone's backyard for western invasives. If they stocked cutthroats, I might get interested again. Until then, I won't fish locally for trout.

Stocking 3 million trout at a financial loss in a State where they stocked 8 million trout 40 years ago makes no sense to me. YMMV.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Tim, I agree in principal that the PFBC, and any and every other government organization should be fiscally responsible. Wake me up when the people that actually matter do more than pay lip service to the notion. Until then, I'll eat my cake.

 
The biological/ecological impact of stocking over wild trout and the horrific fiscal irresponsibility are two separate issues to me.

There is a much bigger financial burden to stock within 10 mins of trout stamp holder population centers vs 30 mins. I am just trying to advocate for financial responsibility so that perhaps one day, PFBC wont have to beg for grants, capital fund bailouts, and merging with other fiscally responsible entities just to keep the overspending going.

If they can cut some of the programs down in a responsible way, that is money that isn't taken from taxpayers that want nothing to do with fishing. And eventually, once they are turning a budget surplus, more access to streams that are naturally reproducing.
I never suggested stocking over wild fish. I specifically mentioned marginal water. Water that will be cold enough from fall into spring to provide trout fishing opportunities for people who bought a fishing license.

What money is being "taken from taxpayers". be specific.

I'm sure the majority of license holders could not care less about a 100yd easement to allow others to access a piece of water near a population of 1 than is 150 miles from where they and 50,000 other people live.
 
Back
Top