PAFF Casting Tune Up, June 13th, Milesburg Pa.

Some good reading in the heart of this thread! :)

And SBecker and JoshMiller attending?!?!? Since when does tight line nymphing require casting??? :-D

Pat - with regards to casting the big musky flies, I got some things dialed in as far as tackle goes. I was too light for one (8 weights are for bass and steelies). I took my new 10wt out last night and was chucking "big meat" with a S/A Wet Tip Express 400 grain with ease on my TLr salt rod. What a difference the right setup makes! I'll work on refining my double haul, but now that I've parked my undergunning 8 weight, I'm where I need to be.

wgmiller wrote:

Pat - with regards to casting the big musky flies, I got some things dialed in as far as tackle goes. I was too light for one (8 weights are for bass and steelies). I took my new 10wt out last night and was chucking "big meat" with a S/A Wet Tip Express 400 grain with ease on my TLr salt rod. What a difference the right setup makes! I'll work on refining my double haul, but now that I've parked my undergunning 8 weight, I'm where I need to be.

Yep. I use the TFO Esox 12wt with Airflo 500gr Big Game line. I was using a 10wt prior. Even the step up to the 12wt made a further difference. That 400gr line on the 10wt should allow you to shoot a nice amount of line. Just keep your casting simple. Ad the hauling in as it becomes more and more comfortable. I'm guessing you won't be up on Saturday, but if you are, I can help you with it in some practical ways. I know you understand the concepts.

Thanks Pat. Unfortunately, Saturday is one of the nine to eleven days a month I have to work, so I won't make it. Yes, the 10wt and a good line made all the difference in the world. Also, I'm not fishing big lakes or wide rivers. A lot of my casts are from one bank to the other, often times with obstructions behind me. I can only imagine how much of a difference jumping up to a good 12wt makes. Perhaps some day down the road I'll make that leap, but not right now.

Good luck Saturday - it sounds like a great event to air out some line and work on mechanics!

Gang, sorry to say I won't be able to make it to the casting tune-up. My mother-in-law passed away. I will have to meet up with everyone some other time. Hope all goes well and fun is had by all.

turning in.

see you later today in milesburg!

Headed out for some food and fish. See you in Milesburg.

Great time this past weekend.

Special thanks to Old Lefty and Troutbert for stopping out and sharing your finely honed experience with us newbies.

I have a write up with pictures on our website.

www.keystoneflyguides.com

Thanks guys and see you in Boiling Springs!

Would have loved to make it but ended up replacing mom's window air conditioner in the morning and took her to lunch. Only would have made it for the last 30-45 minutes.

I know I can't hang in the pro division but think I would have been right there (or very close) in the AM division. Oh well, maybe next year and I'll need to make some time to practice for once.

Good luck to those in the competition.

Hey Guys,

For those who are not pre-registered, I'm planning to start the comp at 10am, wrap it up around lunchtime.

9am is a judges meeting where I'll probably run thru a mock round, 9:30 I'd like to go over any questions with ya'll.

Gates officially open at 8:30 for Heritage Day, I'll be there before then getting organized...please don't forget we're expected to pay the gate fee, $10 or $25 with lunch. Worth it for everything else that's going on...I opted for the lunch option, Allenberry does a pretty darn good picnic spread.

thanks and see ya'll tomorrow!

Back