PA License Buttons... If You Ordered, Did You Get Them?

I've encountered them on four different Class A Sections and one Class A stream, however in none of those instances was I asked to see my license.

I actually asked the WCO at one of the spots why he didn't ask and he said he could tell by watching me, observing my gear and determination that I wasn't the type to NOT buy a license.

The weird thing is I was once asked by a PGC Game Warden to see my license when I was float tubing for LMB on a private lake in Schuylkill County...
Ha!! The one time I was checked in over 50 years is when, as a young adult, I had forgotten my license. He took one look at my equipment and commented he could tell by my level of investment/commitment that I wasn’t the type to NOT have a license. He never bothered further and moved on.

PFBC? No. DCNR rangers? Yes.

I did get stopped by a PA State Trooper (our local PD) a year or so ago while fishing a local creek with a buddy who is a farmer by profession.

The PSP got a complaint of someone in camo peeking in a window and carrying a backpack. My buddy was wearing a camo sweatshirt so we had to explain to the trooper that we were fishin' not flirtin'. ;)

How do you find the site where the buttons and other merchandise(patches ,etc) are for sale? I can't find anything on the PFC site other than Licenses. Thanks, TM

How do you find the site where the buttons and other merchandise(patches ,etc) are for sale? I can't find anything on the PFC site other than Licenses. Thanks, TM

You need an account with HuntFishPA which you can set-up on the PFBC website.

Once that is done login, select the FISH tab then REMOVE all the filters on the left sidebar and look for item #136 ANNUAL FISHING BUTTON.

Thank you Bamboozle, got it. For some reason the fish and game sites were always a little difficult to navigate. I found the patches and prints, unfortunately they are small and hard to see detail. No way to blow them up. Again , thanks for your help. TM

I have always get it when I get around ordering it and It always shows up within 2 weeks. I also have one from my birth year back in the late 1940s.

...For some reason the fish and game sites were always a little difficult to navigate...

Tell me about it, if they were easy to navigate I would ordered mine correctly, received them by now and never created this thread... ;)

Speaking of buttons, about 10 years ago I went to a local winter firehouse outdoor/fishing show and there was vendor selling a beautiful wooden keystone shaped wall plaque.

On the face of the keystone he used a Forstner bit to make round recesses, lined the bottom with felt and in each one was PA Fishing License Button going all the way back to the beginning, although this was BEFORE the latest re-issues.

The thing was GORGEOUS but considerably more expensive then I was willing to pay that morning. However if I see one again I may not be so cheap... ;)

I'm a fan of the PA License Buttons and have buying one since they were reintroduced for nostalgia sake and in the hopes it makes life a tiny bit easier for WCO's with binoculars.

Anyway, I ordered mine at the beginning of December and still have received nothing two month's later...

Did anyone who ordered get theirs?
For the most part, buttons do nothing for a WCO or DWCO as the buttons never included/displayed trout stamp or Erie stamp information, and now they don't even include your CID. If you want to help the WCO/DWCO who is using binoculars, display your license with trout stamp/Erie stamp & expiration date (the bold two-digits) out.

The boat registration department is a cluster too. It took me several months to get the stickers for my new boat.

I expected it to be bad when the dealer wrote the dealer wrote the phone number for the registration folks on my temporary registration and the date that I should start calling to pester them.

I eventually had to call my state reps office.
Yes it is, took 6 months for my dad to receive a registration for his kayak that we put a trolling motor on.

For the most part, buttons do nothing for a WCO or DWCO as the buttons never included/displayed trout stamp or Erie stamp information, and now they don't even include your CID. If you want to help the WCO/DWCO who is using binoculars, display your license with trout stamp/Erie stamp & expiration date (the bold two-digits) out.
I have no interest in "helping the WCO" do his or her job. I dislike things dangling from me and getting in my way. If they want to see it, they can ask me for it and I will gladly show it. I have been checked four times in my life and the experience has been pleasant every time. Each time I was checked I was on a larger river like the Clarion or Juniata. I have never been checked while trout fishing.

I lost every fishing button I have ever bought. That is why I quit buying them. Somehow they get unpinned and fall off of my vest/sling pack.

I had one button fall off of my vest, then I wised up and crimped my brookie button so it can't open. It's the last button I bought, which is still on my vest.

This is exactly the solution I came up with when they first reintroduced the license buttons and the short lived Save Our Susquehanna (SOS) buttons. I also have annual buttons from a couple of local fishing "clubs" I belong to on my hats that get the same treatment.

When it's time to get a new button, I uncrimp the old button (which becomes a Christmas tree ornament) and crimp on the new... ;)

I figured a follow up was in order...

After discovering I ordered my buttons incorrectly, with the help of the HuntFishPA help desk, the buttons were reordered correctly and I received them shortly thereafter.

In regards to an unrelated MIA donation I made to the the PFBC that I also ranted about... As I was getting nowhere with the rank & file I called the Directors Office and requested help.

As it turns out ALL donations go to the same PO Box and are sorted internally. If the person in the mail room doesn't recognize the acronym or name of department that is supposed to get the donation, the envelope just sits there...

In 2022 I sent a donation that was never cashed so I ended up sending a replacement check. Well, after I got the Director's Office involved in finding THIS year's missing check, they also found the 2022 check... :mad:

Bottom line, I believe in the program I am donating to so I don't want to stop. However in 2025 I am sending my check DIRECTLY to the attention of the Director AFTER I give them a heads up it is on the way.

It shouldn't have to be this way but until they create mail stops or the person who is SUPPOSED to handle this gets their act together...

...it does.

@Bamboozle. Not trying to pry but do any of the volunteer permits they offer meet the program you’re trying to donate to? Could be one route to go.

Similar to you, I felt it was important for the agency to get some additional help (since they are not allowed to set license fees and had barely raised prices for 20 years) and found the voluntary permit program a great way to specify where I wanted my funds allocated (even more so than purchasing a license)

Im also a fan of them, and have bought one since they came out( again).
Really liked the fish skin designs on the early ones, last couple years they’re just regular. Not much nostalgic about them now.

Back