Muskie Flies

Celebrating the finish of my midge swap flies and freedom from sub #20 hooks!

8363464766_58f04b9027.jpg


 
Heres a couple of recent tyes. Im starting to dip into some of my own dyed materials. Im really gonna throw the buford patterns hard theis year.
785_541866729157676_1721679277_n_zps62a9e184.jpg

IMG_3642_zps4c2e014d.jpg

1-1_zps7f88bf64.jpg
 
jay and paco those flies all look good.

I keep getting more and more ideas for different pattern variations and colors.

I just wish i could make a decision on a 10 wt rod or it wont matter how many flies I have tied.
 
Go with the echo ion its a work horse and exactly the style of action you need to cast these flys.
 
Fwiw, my colton tradewinds has treated me well over the past year. Its a tad faster than I would prefer; but these big flies make casting pretty effortless...even after a long day.

Excellent service as well...I busted it this past fall and had it back within a week.
 
Those two are on the list (Ion and Tradewinds) as well as Redington Predator and TFO TiCrx and Clouser.

Planning to cast a few at Somerset and make a decision.
 
I just picked up a Echo Ion 10wt, an boy it hucks some line. Havent tried it with actual 10wt line, but im excited to see what it does with the proper weight line. I was using a 9wt rocket taper line. It was pushing it out there just fine. But I want to get a 10wt rocket taper.
 
For the ion 10wt 400 grns seems to be the magic number. I threw a 12 wt intermediate and didnt blink a eye.
 
I have had the tradewinds, predator, ion, and echo 3.
Predator and echo 3 are my favorites. Can't beat the ion price.
 
I have the Greys XF2 Carnivore and its pretty decent. It doesnt have as much guts as my other rod. I also have the Hardy Proaxis and it is a beast but pricey. It will throw lighter intermediate lines just as good as a 400gr head. I had an ion but got rid of it. They are great beginner musky rods but intermediate lines are tough to throw on it because its so stiff. I don't have one yet but just ordered it. I casted it in Wisconsin and it is the best I have thrown so far the Beulah Bluewater in both the 8/9 and 10/11. They are nicely priced at less than 400. I am getting a boat in the next couple of weeks and once it's on the water the Greys and Hardy will be strung w intermediate and the Beulah will be flinging the sinking line. The Beulah rods are also good to throw either intermediate or heavy sink.
 
Lastnights work. A 8/0 popper I made from the ground up. Shapping, painting & finishing.

photo2-1_zps09cdf670.jpg


photo-3_zps4750a252.jpg
 
Awesome work paco...very clean.

Does that have the wire connection through the balsa you posted once before?
 
Thanks guys.

It's the same head I posted before. The wire loop goes through the balsa head. I was going for short and bulky. It's only 9 inches long. Nine to ten inches is the length of fly I've got topwater hits on before.

 
That fly with a foam disc Ad Sweir style is basically a buford with out the spun deer hair and replaced with foam. Its a lot easier to spin a hair head and collar than mess with epoxy or uv cure finishes for me.

Biggest problem with foam is it gets tore up if ya hook a ftoothy on it.I dont wanna have to repair a fly after every fish. Not to mention goin indepth like epoxy and paint ever time. It doesnt matter what finish ya put on it. It crushes I've tried it.
 
I epoxy all my foam. Uv products don't cut it. Ad's fly is more of a popper style head. Ken Capsey's Ugly Betty is a a disc style. Depending on what line you use they "Walk the Dog" like a Zara Spook.
 
Back
Top