Clarks Creek fly sction

Is survey information available? It would be interesting to know how many wild trout are in there. And how the wild trout population compares between those sections in the special regs areas where the stream is very wide and mostly shallow, and the sections further upstream where the stream has a more normal appearance.
Another thing I wondered is there are some stretches where the wood is so thick its gotta be hard to survey, i wonder if they even can in some spots. For example i know a stretch where a bunch of cross stream logs create a 3 or 4 foot deep scour hole under them that looks really fishy. No idea how theyd shock that.

I remember 30 years ago that the pools would be filled with anglers so I'd fish the shallow fast sections and catch all kinds of 3" - 5" brookies on a #18 EHC. Not sure the other guys even knew it was loaded with the little fellas near every tiny feeder trickle. It used to also hold 18-22" trout you'd occasionally spook.

For the record, I was not there to catch tiny trout colored minnows. Simply figured as long as I was there and the other pools were jammed up I'd find something to do in a way to catch fish. If you can find fast water less than knee deep, I'm sure they're still there. I live just minutes from the creek and refuse to go there.

Are there any brookie trickles feeding Clarks below the dam? I have not seen any that even run year-round. Has that changed? Is there any evidence fish spawn in any of the "feeders".

Are there any brookie trickles feeding Clarks below the dam? I have not seen any that even run year-round. Has that changed? Is there any evidence fish spawn in any of the "feeders".
Yea they dry up a decent amount but there is usually a trickle left where the stream bed intercepts the rough elevation of the bank along the rt 325 side. The trails on clarks that cross these tricklers have larger stepping stones often and sometimes they create a mini pool/dam effect and you can see what looks like a lone minow scatter when you step over them but if you look closely its a wild brookie. App trail parkinglot just upstream of the corrugated steel culvert being a notable example but theres more they pretty much all have em. I have never checked out the decent sized trib down near the baileys grove area that comes off private property. Not sure if they are in there

Another thing I wondered is there are some stretches where the wood is so thick its gotta be hard to survey, i wonder if they even can in some spots. For example i know a stretch where a bunch of cross stream logs create a 3 or 4 foot deep scour hole under them that looks really fishy. No idea how theyd shock that.
Yes, I have observed some electrofishing and seen this first hand. I watched them survey a section of a NC freestone stream. Most of the stretch was pretty straight and had habitat that was thin to modest at best. They got trout but they ran small to modest in size.

At the end of the stretch the stream took a meander bend, and undercut the tree roots on the outside bank, creating an undercut which was very good habitat, and several trees were leaning and several had fallen right down into the creek. The water flowed over and under these tree limbs creating a deep scour pool. And the downed trees collected other limbs that washed down the creek, creating quite a logjam.

In about 300 meters, the stream had just ONE prime habitat spot, and this was it. They got a bunch of trout there, including some nice ones. But the biggest one, probably 18 inches long, got away as the guy was trying to net it. It headed under the woody debris, and that was that. There was no way to get it.

I don't know how much difference one 18 inch trout makes to the biomass calculations, on a survey of 300 meters, in a stream that typically surveys around 40 kg/ha.

There were probably several more trout back under all that cover that they never saw, because there's just no way to sample such a place.

I measured an undercut on Kettle Creek that went back under the bank 4 feet. Often these undercuts have cover from tree roots, downed trees, and logjams. So some of the prime habitat, the big fish spots, cannot be surveyed.

Yes, I have observed some electrofishing and seen this first hand. I watched them survey a section of a NC freestone stream. Most of the stretch was pretty straight and had habitat that was thin to modest at best. They got trout but they ran small to modest in size.

At the end of the stretch the stream took a meander bend, and undercut the tree roots on the outside bank, creating an undercut which was very good habitat, and several trees were leaning and several had fallen right down into the creek. The water flowed over and under these tree limbs creating a deep scour pool. And the downed trees collected other limbs that washed down the creek, creating quite a logjam.

In about 300 meters, the stream had just ONE prime habitat spot, and this was it. They got a bunch of trout there, including some nice ones. But the biggest one, probably 18 inches long, got away as the guy was trying to net it. It headed under the woody debris, and that was that. There was no way to get it.

I don't know how much difference one 18 inch trout makes to the biomass calculations, on a survey of 300 meters, in a stream that typically surveys around 40 kg/ha.

There were probably several more trout back under all that cover that they never saw, because there's just no way to sample such a place.

I measured an undercut on Kettle Creek that went back under the bank 4 feet. Often these undercuts have cover from tree roots, downed trees, and logjams. So some of the prime habitat, the big fish spots, cannot be surveyed.
I saw a PFBC team survey hammer creek because they were collecting fin clips for Dr. Meredith Barton’s chesapeake bay watershed brook trout genetics data. They were explaining to me that extreme depth is a major issue to with or without wood too. Clarks has some deep holes under that wood i bet there are big stockers and some medium sized wild fish under there who knows maybe large I dunno

Maybe I will rig a gopro on a stick this summer and jam it between and under that LWD and see if I can post on here. Sounds like a fun project to take a hike leave wife and kids on the bank and get a long telescoping pole and see whats in there/down there

I saw a PFBC team survey hammer creek because they were collecting fin clips for Dr. Meredith Barton’s chesapeake bay watershed brook trout genetics data. They were explaining to me that extreme depth is a major issue to with or without wood too.
Yes, definitely. I've seen that too while observing electrofishing. They wear the same type of wading gear that we do, so have the same wading limitations. And we know from fishing that some places are just too deep to wade.

I saw them sample at a railroad bridge that has a very deep scour pool. There's no way a person can wade in there. And there are undercuts back under the concrete footings. It's a known big fish spot. They can sample a lot of the trout in there. But there's no way they can sample all of the trout in a place like that.

I saw them sample at a railroad bridge that has a very deep scour pool. There's no way a person can wade in there. And there are undercuts back under the concrete footings. It's a known big fish spot. They can sample a lot of the trout in there. But there's no way they can sample all of the trout in a place like that.
Any idea as to the effective depth for electrofishing? Can fish in very deep pools/holes get missed?

I had been putting together a public outreach event on clarks for summer 2020 because anglers were saying they felt the wood was bad for clarks and threatening to go back with chainsaws and remove it. Not only did Danielle Rae from PSU extension agree to do it but she suggested use of a PSU extension office(or DCCD office i forget) like 5 minutes from clarks for a presentation and then we had planned to take all the concerned stakeholders on a tour of the fly fishing section so she could address concerns and point out real life examples of how these LWD additions work and benefit the creek. I was really excited to go in the field and hear her speak.

But we all know what happened in feb 2020 when I was setting this up. Needless to say the professional insanity that ensued for me as a physician and the organization based restrictions from conducting in person events killed setting up that event completely.

Maybe shes still interested/maybe stakeholders are still interested/concerned

Kray...I remember those days well when it was a pleasure to fish the place. Could be amazing again but too many are satisfied with status quo. I could think of worse things the Commonwealth could waste money on.
The problem with a Clarks clean-up is the Game Commission "manages" the land surrounding the creek in the FFO section and couldn't care less about the creek and the PFBC won't because of the PAGC.

I know this because a more eloquent response that mimics my analysis came from both agencies when I asked them...

Another issue expressed is the huge amount of damage that would occur if heavy equipment operated in and around the creek to clear the log jams.

I know in other places in the US teams of Amish owned draft horses were employed to do "tree pulling," but I don't ever see that type of coordination happening in this situation.

The problem with a Clarks clean-up is the Game Commission "manages" the land surrounding the creek in the FFO section and couldn't care less about the creek and the PFBC won't because of the PAGC.

I know this because a more eloquent response that mimics my analysis came from both agencies when I asked them...

Another issue expressed is the huge amount of damage that would occur if heavy equipment operated in and around the creek to clear the log jams.

I know in other places in the US teams of Amish owned draft horses were employed to do "tree pulling," but I don't ever see that type of coordination happening in this situation.
It doesn’t need to be “cleaned up” its in the middle of a mostly undisturbed forrest. The trees falling in the stream is the clean up of extensive historical logging. Its just going to take a long time and every time we mess with creeks like this we just reset the clock on achieving the end benefits.

It doesn’t need to be “cleaned up” its in the middle of a mostly undisturbed forrest. The trees falling in the stream is the clean up of extensive historical logging. Its just going to take a long time and every time we mess with creeks like this we just reset the clock on achieving the end benefits.

The situation there is far from normal. The key to understanding why it looks like it does is explained here, in posts 15 and 16.

In the lower to middle section of the regs area, the trees there are growing on top of several feet of legacy sediment, deposited behind a former dam.

The high banks, the overly straight, over-widened channel, etc. all make sense once you realize that it's an incised channel flowing through a floodplain is buried under several feet of man-caused sandy sediment.

I realize that this is "problem describing" and doesn't really offer a solution. Removing legacy sediment is very expensive and very messy.

But, IMHO if you are going to discuss a stream, it's good to start out with the fundamental facts of the situation.

If you upstream a ways, you get up past the legacy sediment deposits. Things look more normal. The banks are not nearly as high. The stream is not as wide.

The situation there is far from normal. The key to understanding why it looks like it does is explained here, in posts 15 and 16.

In the lower to middle section of the regs area, the trees there are growing on top of several feet of legacy sediment, deposited behind a former dam.

The high banks, the overly straight, over-widened channel, etc. all make sense once you realize that it's an incised channel flowing through a floodplain is buried under several feet of man-caused sandy sediment.

I realize that this is "problem describing" and doesn't really offer a solution. Removing legacy sediment is very expensive and very messy.

But, IMHO if you are going to discuss a stream, it's good to start out with the fundamental facts of the situation.

If you upstream a ways, you get up past the legacy sediment deposits. Things look more normal. The banks are not nearly as high. The stream is not as wide.
Even with that legacy sediment your still seeing erosion of it that is giving way to side channel formation around parts of the large woody debris (like root wads) that used to abut the steep banks making a more complex channel form. That sediment that eroded goes downstream and will deposit on the upstream side of large woody debris and potentially start the same process(island formation/side channels from sediment deposition upstream of LWD and water going around it causing erosion.

This is exactly whats happening in this picture. You can’t see but to the left of this picture there is a 5 foot vertical dirt bank. Water is going around the root wad and slowly eating under the bank creating a side channel and ultimately will cause it to erode. You can tell i am standing on a tall bank due to angle of photo. Theres water flowing just under where i am standing. Then across the stream due to the angle of the down tree you have less space between log and stream bottom making a prime spot for sediment deposition. What you will eventually get here with sediment deposition on the far side of the stream and erosion on the bank i am standing on is, a previously wide straight channel will ultimately become a multi channel meander with more complex habitat.
FA25E353 E3AA 420E BA7F 9F36C9E0AE94

The other thing is when that sediment topples in it can create a gentler slope. Look at the green growth on that sediment that came down off the wall onto those logs. That will eventually put young trees roots much closer to wet soils and encourage tree growth on that stuff

Last edited:
Fish Sticks. Good photo and explanation. The large woody debris is creating more complex habitat, and that is good for fish, and many other species of plants and animals.

With clarks being a cold tailwater that happens to be completely forested there is one undeniable impairment holding that stream back.

Silt?
Big spring, falling springs, and many other spring creeks that support native brook trout are just as silty in clarks in many places. Similarly to clarks in some places clean gravel is interspersed behind and between vegetation. Bob carline has shown also that its more about the upwelling rate of ground water rather than sediment particle size. The substrate in this study might be qualified as “silt” visually by many anglers. “45% of the substrate, by weight, averaged less than 2 mm in diameter.”

Alot of those downed trees seem to have downwelling in-front of them and upwelling from the hyporheic behind them as suggested by various types of cress looking vegetation. There also happens to be exposed fine gravel in these areas behind or beneath the downed trees.

Could there be more ideal substrate conditions? Probably

Does anyone else wonder why the completely forested ice cold tail water originating from Harrisburg’s drinking water supply thats smack dab in the wilderness has abysmal wild trout numbers?……but still supports wild native brook that have an overblown image of being impossibly fastidious?

Welllll…..

The brook trout are very possible sabotaged genetically through introgression from the TONS of harchery brook trout stocked there.

Stocked invasive trout species galore

PFBC stocks it

Dauphin county anglers stocks it

Theres a hatchery on it for christs sake, fish coming from the coop.

Happen to know Its privately stocked on several properties for private events

Think there is an additional hatchery that slings pellet heads in there from leb co as well.

Santa clause, puxatawny phill, and lachupacabra stock it

I can believe it fished better when casting was easy and there were big riffly areas/ pools for floating dries through. I am sure catch rates were higher without all the wood and with the HWA the stream recruiting wood at an unatural rate. But given all that its still a completely forested cold tailwater with excellent water quality. If crap holes like trindle spring run and spring creek in Harrisburg can be class A (or dang near it id guess in springs case)with just as much silt could it be the the stream itself is not the rate limiting step? Could putting 11-14” fat ravenous and aggressive invasive species by the tens of thousands into a small to medium sized creek have anything to do with it?
View attachment 1641228677View attachment 1641228678View attachment 1641228679

It would be interesting to see how Clark's Creek heals over the next 25 or so years. It sure look like in the pain in the butt to fish. I haven't fished Clark's in a long time. It will be interesting to see if the new growth will draw beaver or not.

Yea the decades to come will be really exciting for clarks creek. If it goes from mostly straight to a more enhanced meander geometry it should take on a bit more of a riffle, run, pool habitat rather and one endless straight semi featureless riffle. As for clarks wild native brook trout, I hope the shallow side channel/island formation will give them more sheltered habitat away from large predatory stocked fish/brown trout and allow some more of those age zero/YOY fish to survive and enjoy the abundance of cold clean water clarks already has. I think the problem is like troutbert says that if it is ever hit class A for brown trout or mixed it would be really hard to survey and get off stocking list that way unless the good results spilled over into the non wooded water.

Still would love to see what a PFBC survey in 25 years would look like.

The "feeders" are quite small and many dry up or continue to and a tiny cold water amount under the surface of the feeder streambed

Dear fishsticks,

Can you possibly drop your agenda just one time? Maybe let the people that know more about the crick than you have a little session?

The crick is now useless, even for brookies.

I guess the non-native invaders, like you and I, made that a reality?

In the meantime, before the planet sloughs us off like flies on a cow's tail, can you please stop jumping every single thread?

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Thank you Tim! It happens to almost every thread and it’s gotten old. I find the ability to “ignore” certain members to be a great feature and improvement to PA Flyfish.

Back