Cherry Run access area for Penns

a thought: people make YouTube videos because people consume (watch) them. If FF stop looking, they will stop making money and then they will stop recording.
Dear nymphingmaniac,

Clearly you don understand the YouTube, TicToc, me-me-me JO's that are ruining social media and the interwebs for everyone else.

You must be old like me! I remember the first time I finally figured out how to post a picture to the internet. I had to figure out what happened when I scanned it on my new fancy schmancy Print/Scan/Fax Lexmark 110 circa 2001. The picture below was taken on film, like pictures and videos used to be!

But I got it on the internet, and boy oh boy was I proud. Little did I know, I contributed to the death of just going fishing and having a good time. :cry:

I was so proud of this picture of my yellow lab Sidney. I kind of wish I could pull it back and reverse the clock. But she waited so patiently in the truck as I fished White Deer Creek that I couldn't let her have her day in the sun. Especially after her behavior at the Jeff and Shelby inaugural PAFF Jam. Those who know, know that well. ;)

She wasn't a steak stealer, she was just a dog being a dog, encouraged by the late Paul G, a board member and dear friend from long ago. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Sidney by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've heard from a several sources that the access in the Cherry Run area of Penns will be more restricted but have not been given any details about the situation.

This is what Bruce from Penns Creek Angler wrote on his site:

"This year you are going to see some big changes with parking especially around the Cherry Run Area and the Dead-End Parking lot. Prepare yourself."

Doesn't sound good.

Does anyone have any insight as to what has happened or is happening in the area?
As many have already said I have also seen Penns crowd change over a couple of years. Obviously, it is a main attractor stream for people in and out of state. I generally avoid penns other than when it’s cold out (since it is virtually empty in the cold), but in warmer months, specifically near weikert, I have come across groups exercising poor parking etiquette. I don’t like streams seeming like attractions - go there to fish, be polite, and enjoy the day. Plenty of other streams in the area to hit - just wish people would spread out a bit more. If only people realized that trout exist outside of the C&R area….

Last edited:
Dear nymphingmaniac,

Clearly you don understand the YouTube, TicToc, me-me-me JO's that are ruining social media and the interwebs for everyone else.

You must be old like me! I remember the first time I finally figured out how to post a picture to the internet. I had to figure out what happened when I scanned it on my new fancy schmancy Print/Scan/Fax Lexmark 110 circa 2001. The picture below was taken on film, like pictures and videos used to be!

But I got it on the internet, and boy oh boy was I proud. Little did I know, I contributed to the death of just going fishing and having a good time. :cry:

I was so proud of this picture of my yellow lab Sidney. I kind of wish I could pull it back and reverse the clock. But she waited so patiently in the truck as I fished White Deer Creek that I couldn't let her have her day in the sun. Especially after her behavior at the Jeff and Shelby inaugural PAFF Jam. Those who know, know that well. ;)

She wasn't a steak stealer, she was just a dog being a dog, encouraged by the late Paul G, a board member and dear friend from long ago. ;)

Regards,
The start of all the problems were fly fishing forums. That and cars.

The PFBC needs to partner with the local chambers of commerce to place job jonnies on the more popular streams. I made this suggestion a couple of years ago when I was stopped by a PFBC officer conducting a stream survey at fisherman's paradise. Both the PFBC and local businesses benefit from the popularity of these blue ribbon trout streams. I can't fault the landowners. Imagine sitting at your breakfast table enjoying your morning coffee and some guy(s) is walking though your backyard or dropping trow to "beach a brownie". You can't blame the landowners, only the anglers.

Weikert. So hot right now.
Man if I knew how to photoshop I would totally make a picture of Hansel in a parking lot with fly fishing gear standing beside a Tacoma.

The PFBC needs to partner with the local chambers of commerce to place job jonnies on the more popular streams. I made this suggestion a couple of years ago when I was stopped by a PFBC officer conducting a stream survey at fisherman's paradise. Both the PFBC and local businesses benefit from the popularity of these blue ribbon trout streams. I can't fault the landowners. Imagine sitting at your breakfast table enjoying your morning coffee and some guy(s) is walking though your backyard or dropping trow to "beach a brownie". You can't blame the landowners, only the anglers.
I hope they service those job johnies better than the ones at Rose Valley Lake.

Is it really great though? It’s about time most of these people f’d back off to whatever they did before Covid.
i understand how you feel -- its starting to get overwhelming at times. I actually felt a little bad after posting that story about the light pole ... i have to assume that guy with the tricked out jeep didnt say to his gang ... " hey - lets pile in, drive up and down a washboard road, and then jack around a bunch of cabins with my 100,000 wat flood light " its new gear he wanted to use, guy didnt realize the impact to others or didnt feel that it was a problem ... i just dont know. i have to assume that if he knew that he is disturbing others peace ... 99% of people would appologize and not do it again. but then again - why does the guy with the #$%ing 10,000 rpms backpack leaf blower -- who has been blasting away for 5 straight hours on a beautiful fall day .. need to be told to take a break?? i have no answers -- just look at the behaviors on airplanes these days.

i do remember back in 1992 - when "the movie" came out. there was a FLOOD of new folks all over the stream, Orvis tags and price tags still hanging on everything - everywhere . but eventually - they went away. Back to golf and the Country Club. knot tying was a PITA#$, it was cold and wet on a stream ... etc.

i dont know about this time ... post COVID. but i do know that setting up a toilet paper rig so that multiple people can relieve themselves in the same spot in the woods .... man thats strange.

Dear nymphingmaniac,

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

People are terrible everywhere. I like that damn dog, though.

With the closure, what's the new access to the Cherry Creek area on Penns? Am headed there this coming week and that has always been a favorite section.

With the closure, what's the new access to the Cherry Creek area on Penns? Am headed there this coming week and that has always been a favorite section.

The lot at the end of the road…PFBC or State Forest lot, forget specifically who controls that, is still open. Just get there early enough to park there and no problem.

I don’t think anyone exactly knows what’s going on, but, reading between the lines and recognizing what the parking situation there (other than the lot) has been the last few years, we think it’s likely there’s going to be some level of towing/enforcement of vehicles parked along the road on private property on the way into the lot.

If you don’t wanna chance it, but like the Cherry Run section, park at Poe Paddy and hike or bike the rail trail down. You can get to to the same sections of water, you’re just coming from upstream.

Nothing has changed in the parking lot and no notices are posted. It is a quiet weekend.

I know the property owner and have stayed in the house there many times. As far as I know he still owns it. He must have gotten tired of people traipsing all over his property without asking permission. I've been there when people came up and asked permission, and he always said yes. Alot of people just don't respect private property these days.
Yessir he is one of the nicest guys literally has it set up around the property to access and fish it. Ive saw to many guys just go ahead without permission and leaving garbage behind etc. Its sad bc he truly is a good dude and people will just ruin that and the parking situation over impulsiveness and being plain ignorant by it.

According to a landowner in that area, it's not the angler that's screwing the pooch, it's the guys some anglers hire.

Back