100 Robins, February 1

R

rrt

Today is Feb. 1. While I walked on the local trail this afternoon with my wife and her dog, we ran into a big flock of robins, at least 100 birds. They appeared to be feeding on bittersweet berries on the vines up in the trees, though some were feeding on something lower down. I have sometimes run into a few robins in early January that I figured were the stragglers from up North heading south. (A few people thought they were year-round residents that were staying put, though I would kind of doubt that.)

Anyhow, I suspect this large flock of robins is heading back up North already. I have never seen a big flock of robins this early in February. Perhaps a true birder could tell me what is going on. A result of global warming?

I see robins in small numbers through the winter. They're cold tolerant and many don't migrate, they just just change food sources from invertebrates to berries.

I see robins in small numbers through the winter. They're cold tolerant and many don't migrate, they just just change food sources from invertebrates to berries.

Totally agree. I see Robins every year during the winter. Some apparently migrate, but not all of them.

A few people thought they were year-round residents that were staying put, though I would kind of doubt that.
They were probably correct. In spite of their Latin name (Turdus migratorius) the only migrating most American robins do is from lawns to the nearest deep woods as their food sources change.

A bird club in my county does a New Year's bird census each year. Robins usually lead the pack in terms of numbers counted.

I see robins every month of the year, every year.

We have a cedar tree on our property (at least I think it's a cedar tree) just outside the dining room window and we watch tons of robins and bluebirds eating the berries in the winter.

FWIW - I saw my first bluebird this morning perched outside of my family room window. :)

SE and SC PA have a milder climate than the rest of the state, so some birds over-winter there that migrate in other parts of PA.

Here in Centre County, this past weekend, I saw flocks of vultures. These are usually the first birds to return north in the spring. But, now that it's colder again, they've probably moved back south.

I haven't seen robins return here yet.

I find bird migration a neat thing to watch.
Every year we get large flocks of various birds on our property. I don't think what you saw was a migration either.
The birds that were vacated did so a few months ago or more. All I see now are large murders of crows and they are annoying more than anything.

This time of year, when you get a few days of unusually warm weather, some birds will move north. Then when cold weather returns, they move south again.

You could think of them as "false starts" on spring migration. That's probably what was going on with those robins. Same with the group of vultures. They were here when the weather was unusually warm. Not it's cold again, I'm not seeing them. I don't think they're around here and hunkered down. I think they moved back south.

This time of year, when you get a few days of unusually warm weather, some birds will move north. Then when cold weather returns, they move south again.

You could think of them as "false starts" on spring migration. That's probably what was going on with those robins.
Perhaps the result of "Indian Summer" conditions, which seem to take place almost every year. But, tomorrow and Saturday will be colder than a well diggers arse, then in the 50's next week .

I see robins every month of the year, every year.

We have a cedar tree on our property (at least I think it's a cedar tree) just outside the dining room window and we watch tons of robins and bluebirds eating the berries in the winter.

FWIW - I saw my first bluebird this morning perched outside of my family room window. :)
Bluebirds are another species that are common year round in PA

SE and SC PA have a milder climate than the rest of the state, so some birds over-winter there that migrate in other parts of PA.

Here in Centre County, this past weekend, I saw flocks of vultures. These are usually the first birds to return north in the spring. But, now that it's colder again, they've probably moved back south.

I haven't seen robins return here yet.
Lancaster County has vultures year round. They sit on my roof. See them every day.

Bluebirds are another species that are common year round in PA
Probably in the warmer southern, low elevation areas of PA.

Not in Centre County. In the fall they move through in groups, headed south. We don't see them in the winter.

Bluebirds and robins are year round guests in carbon co., though lesser in number come winter.

I just checked the temperatures in a few PA places with the National Weather Service.

Philadelphia - 24
Lancaster - 20F
State College - 12
Bradford - 5

This explains a lot about bird behavior.

This am in Camden County temperature was 12 degrees. Not much bird activity. I usually see fair numbers of robins all winter long. I do love when the gold finches return.

This am in Camden County temperature was 12 degrees. Not much bird activity. I usually see fair numbers of robins all winter long. I do love when the gold finches return.
Gold finches year round in Lancaster County. They lose the yellow coloration over the winter. Look closely and you can still see the distinct wing markings. They love to come to a thistle feeder.

For your information the gold finch is the Jersey State bird, not the mosquito😜

I just checked the temperatures in a few PA places with the National Weather Service.

Philadelphia - 24
Lancaster - 20F
State College - 12
Bradford - 5

This explains a lot about bird behavior.
Lower Merion (Mont county) - 16F Brrrrrrr

My weather station is reporting a balmy 10 degrees on my property...

Back