Wet fly/nymph swap

Ok. Now everyone should have gotten a PM.

delta_dog wrote:
Holy smack batman! You boys aren't playing around.

We had no power today so I tied them using my headlamp. Took just over an hour.
Nice, roughing it on this set. I've tied by candle light before, I don't suggest it. Hard on the eyes. I like that stonefly John, I'll be taking that one for a swim on Penns. Pm received Jeremy, thanks.

PM received. Thanks.

John that stone is sweet! I'm feeling guilty about my simple soft hackle.

Hey, no need to feel guilty Dan. I picked it. They are actually a lot of fun to tie. I just can't bang them out real quick. I'm going all out on these, I picked up some tungsten beads today (first ones I have ever purchased). The combination of the wraps of .020 lead wire under the thorax and a tungsten bead on a size 8 hook these guys should sink like a rock. Hopefully a good fly for you guys to dredge Penns with when the topwater action is slow.

I can't do anything yet
No power no Internet using my phone

Gc, glad you saw this one in time good to have you in.

My flies are on the way!

Alright, that was rough. We just got power back on. It was 40 degrees inside my office. Have not had time too even think about this. But nevrtheless I am still in. Just give me a day to re coup and I will figure out what I will be tying. Looks like you guys are bringing some great flies.

GenCon

Nothing like spending a Friday evening eating steak and tying some flies. I just wish the flies I tie for myself looked as good as the flies I'm tying for this swap! First few went right into my fly box for tomorrow!

Sounds like you should tie like you're tying for someone else all the time. ;]

Flies are on the way.

Allright, at least I figured out what to tie. I flat body quill gordon nymph. I have used this for a long time, and by accident it works very well as a sulphur nymph. Size 16. You guys are too fast. But I will get going.

GenCon

Not a great picture but I think you will get the idea.

Attachments

• quill gordon nymph.JPG
    quill gordon nymph.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 2
Very nice, looking at it I can see where it would work as a sulphur. This has happened before and is again, when I click on a picture or the smiley icon my screen freezes up. Kind of a pain, don't know why it's happening.

First swap, stupid question: Just put them in an envelope? Seems they'd get flattened pretty well.

Most people for the smaller trout flies use an altoids tin ( curiously strong mints) to ship them in. A six by nine shipping envelope is the size I use.

My flies are done. I generally sit down to tie a half dozen or so at a time, so tying 15 all at one shot felt like a lot of flies! Looking forward to seeing everyone else's. I don't want to rush anyone, so like I said in the original post, I can wait until March 15 for everyone's flies. Though if I get them all sooner I will obviously send them all out sooner.

March Brown nymphs:

20140209_142632.jpg

P.s. Don't ask me what makes this pattern a "March brown" as opposed to any other generic mayfly nymph.

Ques., did you say we need 20 flies? I have 8-so far thats all the time I have today. They look simple, which they are. But the flattened body takes some time.

GenCon

Back