Stuck graphite fly rod parts.

Does anyone apply wax to the ferrules as a preventative measure?

Does anyone apply wax to the ferrules as a preventative measure?
This definitely prevents stuck ferrules, but wax can pick up grit and dirt which isn't great for the ferrules.

My recommendation is to use judiciously, and sparingly at that. Nothing more than a light film of wax. Someone will probably recommend beeswax but I've used paraffin since it is harder and far less sticky. I find myself periodically cleaning it off entirely and reapplying to prevent a build up of grit in the wax.

@salmo, if your LL is being to much of a hassle for you, you can alleviate the stress of it getting stuck again by selling it to me.
I will leave it to you in my will.

I used to rub it on the side of my nose (having some Italian blood in me helped) before putting it together, but I remember jamming it as I walked streamside. considering the age of the rod I'm lucky I didn't break it.

The canned air worked. I recommend it. No damage to the rod.

I saw this video recently. This guy uses relatively inexpensive arrow pullers to get stuck fly rods apart. He claims 100% success and even super glues two sections of an old rod together and then easily separates it.

I haven't tried it myself, but here is a link to the video:

I saw this video recently. This guy uses relatively inexpensive arrow pullers to get stuck fly rods apart. He claims 100% success and even super glues two sections of an old rod together and then easily separates it.

I haven't tried it myself, but here is a link to the video:

A couple of pieces of this will do the same thing and you can keep them in your top pocket without looking like you have moobs... ;)

Back