New Rulemaking Proposal PFBC (Pinners in the FFO Areas)

Mike,

You can't get the same effect from a Noodle rod and Spin reel...The reel is made to spin freely with help from the non-rod hand to unload the line quickly. The "large Arbor" style Reel keeps less memory in the line as well so it goes up through the guides quickly with less turns releases more line.

Centerpinning is not flyfishing. Why on earth would they put a language change into the regulation and mention centerpinning as the reason for the change if Centerpinning isn't flyfishing.

If Centerpinning IS flyfishing. Congratulation to the F&BC for rewriting the definition.

This is pretty disturbing.

franklin wrote:
But if a manufacturer made a clear fly line that looked like thick mono but behaved like a traditional fly line how would they interpret the rule?

monic does and has been for at least 10 years or so.

centre pinning is not fly fishing - any more than trolling spoons on a lake in a boat using a 11ft fly rod is.

it is very skilful though, and it is the direct predecessor to fly fishing in England where it originated, and was known as "trotting"

a good centre pin reel is extremely expensive - about $6-$800, but they are beautiful :

info_7364.html

you just cast out and put the line into free spool and drift your bait or nymph downstream freely. then reel up and repeat in a diffrent drift - same as czech nymphing.

i have no issue if people want to pin or trot nymphs, but they should still be banned from using bait imho.

geebee wrote:
franklin wrote:
But if a manufacturer made a clear fly line that looked like thick mono but behaved like a traditional fly line how would they interpret the rule?

monic does and has been for at least 10 years or so.

centre pinning is not fly fishing - any more than trolling spoons on a lake in a boat using a 11ft fly rod is.

it is very skilful though, and it is the direct predecessor to fly fishing in England where it originated, and was known as "trotting"

a good centre pin reel is extremely expensive - about $6-$800, but they are beautiful :

info_7364.html

you just cast out and put the line into free spool and drift your bait or nymph downstream freely. then reel up and repeat in a diffrent drift - same as czech nymphing.

i have no issue if people want to pin or trot nymphs, but they should still be banned from using bait imho.

That's my point; some nymphing techniques encroach on the traditional PA flyfishing rules relating to fly lines, mono, and leader lengths. (or at least the interpretation of those rules) And new equipment may well push that encroachment further. This is not strictly a center pin issue. It may impact people fishing with more traditional fly rods and reels as well.

The ONLY difference between a pinning setup and a spinning setup is the reel. The rod, line, terminal tackle, etc. is all the same.

You can fish nymphs under a float with a spinning rod the same way you would with a center pin setup. The only difference is a pinning reel is always in free spool mode and lets out line easily. With a spinning reel......just open up the bail and take out line....

Who knows what the PFBC will do next. I can't wait to find out. Maybe they'll allow spear fishing for lightening trout??

streamerguy wrote:
Who knows what the PFBC will do next. I can't wait to find out. Maybe they'll allow spear fishing for lightening trout??

A lot of comments on this board about just handing having the PFBC hand out trout directly from the stocking truck but I swear it's coming to that some day.

Mike wrote:
I guess for my part I would need to have someone tell me the objection to the center pin technique when a nymph was in use other than as was said, a long, possibly inconsiderate drift on a crowded stream. Mind you, I have no say in this or input; I'm just here to say what I saw and read responses for my own education.

You can't overhead cast a centerpin rig because there is no fly line. You can use a nymph with with a spin rod, so does that make it fly fishing? Are you trolling again?

back way back in time, they used to measure our leaders on the little Lehigh FFO section.

Mike wrote:
I could do the same thing with my spinning reel on my noodle rod. One could have easily replaced his bait with a nymph and had the same effect.

Which is exactly what folks have been doing on the Erie trips for years and have seen the same thing on larger trout streams. Center pinning is just what the cool kids are doing right now.

Maurice,
Thanks for the info in the first paragraph in #21. I was really thinking about a spinning reel with the bail flipped over so that it could free-line, but I see your point about the large reel used for center-pinning, which I recall struck me as being curious, and about the more coiled line coming off of a spinning reel. I also recall how freely the large center-pinning reel was turning, a point that you also addressed.

PhilC: I'm trying to get an education on this topic, nothing more, nothing less.

Mike,
Want to see it done first hand and get an idea of how disruptive it can be? Go to the Salmon River in November. You can watch some ****** squeeze his way into the head of a pool, cast out into the run, and drift his float for 250 yards .......keeping others from casting or crossing up their lines. I will tell you that it's exceptionally effective way to catch a truckload of fish.

As we all know...... Pinners are filthy, dirty cheaters.

I understand the differences. But there are many similarities so not totally different. Both use flies. both use the weight at the end of the line to deliver the flies. both use the current move the flies to a feeding fish...

Seriously?

Have you ever actually watched someone pinning? Because for the argument you're making here, you might as well have just said, "They both use hooks, so it's basically the same thing."

It's not a fly rod, it's not a fly reel, it's not a fly line, there isn't constant contact made with the fly (you specified euro nymphing), fly anglers don't free spool to extend the drift...

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone who was familiar with the two methods would even question their obvious difference. I'ts like saying a bat and an ostrich have differences, but they might be considered the same because they both have wings.

krayfish2 wrote:
Mike,
Want to see it done first hand and get an idea of how disruptive it can be? Go to the Salmon River in November. You can watch some ****** squeeze his way into the head of a pool, cast out into the run, and drift his float for 250 yards .......keeping others from casting or crossing up their lines. I will tell you that it's exceptionally effective way to catch a truckload of fish.

My limited exposure to it has been on the Erie tribs and from a trip to the SR and I couldn't agree with you more. Floating an offering at some distance from the angler, right down the trout's "feeding lane" in a drag-free drift is incredibly effective.

I hope the PFBC doesn't decide to ban Czech nymphing or Becker is screwed!!! :-D

IMO, center pinner=failed fly fisherman. Go to NY tribs and you'll see most guys with center pins catching more fish than the fly fisherman. It is a deadly way to catch fish, it is not fly fishing. Someone once said, "center pinning........so easy a caveman can do it".

Come on tilt, stand up for the pinners. LOL

krayfish2 wrote:
Come on tilt, stand up for the pinners. LOL

If he don't chime in it was all a waste! :-D

Shortrod, " both use the weight at the end of the line to deliver the flies. "
Wrong. Flyfishing uses the weight of the flyline to cast. You can cast a flyline with nothing attached to the tip. Try to cast mono with nothing on the end.

They let the freakin pinners in and you will get high holed from 50 yards away.
Erie tribs are full of them.

Will be sweet during a hatch, one tool tying up the whole run with his pin outfit.

Wow, I have certainly been living a sheltered life. Never knew there was such dislike of center pinning. I am sensing more venom now than I do when bait fishing is mentioned. No wonder someone thought I was trolling.

The PFBC has gone full retard. Really the only thing this proposal will accomplish is the erosion of fly fish only areas. My take is the PFBC, like most government organizations cannot effectively balance their budget and their looking for more revenue. They cannot tax to make up for the shortfall and rely on fishing license sales. To them opening water to those who could not previously use this water is a potential source of revenue for them. Once you allow centerpin fishing, why not spin, then bait? They don't care if this decreases the quality of ones fishing experience as long as more people fish . This, along with their recent actions, including the DHALO changes and continued stocking of new class A sections indicate this.

There is room for all types of fishing. That being said, the percentage of fly fishing only sections is very small, but this small percent comprises some of the best areas in the state. This is not a result of fly fishing only areas being in great locations, but a combination of good location and the dedication of those who fly fish and have cared and will continue to care for these locations.

Once again they muddle the waters with a form of fishing that got its roots in baiting, and proposed another reg about fly fishing, a type of fishing they want to control more than they do now. . They know that, but think we dont, another typical we're incharge you obey scenario. If you need 18 ft leaders to catch fish, then by all means try centerpinning its right up your alley.

Back